Why Robert

JonathanTheBold

It's called robert's rebellion when he became king during the rebellion it was called war of the usurper. So because he became King it was called robert's rebellion cause he won, if he lost it would have been only named war of the usurper. Still many have said it he charismatic, bold and everything else.

Because Tywin said so.

I mean, you can dress it up however you want to, but it essentially boils down to this.

Tywin was so desperate to not get left out. He would've been happy with Rob rubbing his head.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but had Viserys and Dany died, Robert would have been the legitimate Targaryen heir.

I believe because house Baratheons' claim comes from the female Targaryen line, they would be surpassed by a descendant from a male Targaryen line via marriage. I don't know if such a person existed to challenge Robert's claim.

I believe because house Baratheons' claim comes from the female Targaryen line, they would be surpassed by a descendant from a male Targaryen line via marriage. I don't know if such a person existed to challenge Robert's claim.

Weren't the Targs in the female line after the Dance of the Dragons anyway?

so I've been thinking about Roberts Rebellion and found myself wondering why make Robert king I understand that his grandmother was a targaryen and his family may be targaryen bastards but te war started over the Stark family and Jon Arryn refusing to give up Ned and Robert and I understand that Ned probably wouldn't want the throne but if Ned and Robert were relitively young why wouldn't Jon Arrny claim the throne by right of conquest since that's basically what Robert did

They basically used his Targ blood as a way to mollify Targ supporters. That way they claim it by both conquest and rightful inheritance.

Right by conquest.

He had the strongest claim.

He basically started the war after Rhaegar "kidnapped" Lyanna.

- so, it was his war sort of.

Ned didn't want the throne

Jon Aryn was old

Besides those 3 who else could really be a king? Robert was the best and only choice.

Actually, Robert is the only logical king of the foursome once Ned says he doesn't want the crown.

- Jon Arryn as mentioned is two wives down and zero children produced. He's old. Makes for an unstable throne.

- Hoster Tully, house is one of the three Great Houses that isn't descend from one of the royal houses of the Seven Kingdoms. Plus, he had to be bribed to join the cause.

- Ned declines.

- Robert, his house is descended from the Storm Kings, which like the Starks trace their ancestry to the Age of Heroes. He has the tragic story of Lyanna being kidnapped from him and him waging a war to get her back and restore her honor. And to put a veneer on all that, his grandmother was a Targaryen, putting him legitimately in line for the throne to begin with.

There's a lot of reasons Robert ended up as king, they begin with his war hammer and go from there.

Actually, Robert is the only logical king of the foursome once Ned says he doesn't want the crown.

- Jon Arryn as mentioned is two wives down and zero children produced. He's old. Makes for an unstable throne.

- Hoster Tully, house is one of the three Great Houses that isn't descend from one of the royal houses of the Seven Kingdoms. Plus, he had to be bribed to join the cause.

- Ned declines.

- Robert, his house is descended from the Storm Kings, which like the Starks trace their ancestry to the Age of Heroes. He has the tragic story of Lyanna being kidnapped from him and him waging a war to get her back and restore her honor. And to put a veneer on all that, his grandmother was a Targaryen, putting him legitimately in line for the throne to begin with.

There's a lot of reasons Robert ended up as king, they begin with his war hammer and go from there.

This and the fact Robert is unmarried when Ned is, has two heirs (Stannis, Renly) over his one (Benjen). He at least would nominally keep the Seven, has the Targ connection and very charismatic.

Closely related to the former Targaryen kings. Robert unlike Ned, Jon etc can claim to be the descendant of many kings. Aegon the Conqueror, Makeor I, Aegon V are all his ancestors.

Robert was the driving force of the rebellion. He was the great general, great fighter and charismatic leader that united everyone. People genuinely thought if Robert died the rebellion would fall.

Kept the seven was young, and had been proven to be able to father children. In addition had two brothers in case disaster struck.

jon arryn is a bad choice for king. He is old and he has no heir. He has had two wives and no kids. The chances of him producing an heir seemed pretty slim at the time. did I mention he was old? Making Jon Arryn king just sets you up for another war when he dies

you mean like when Robert died doesn't seem like much of difference except Jon Arrny seems to be more focused on politics and governence which would make him a better king of course I'm of the opion that the best man to be king is the one who doesn't want to ba king namely Ned but wouldn't have happend

you mean like when Robert died doesn't seem like much of difference except Jon Arrny seems to be more focused on politics and governence which would make him a better king of course I'm of the opion that the best man to be king is the one who doesn't want to ba king namely Ned but wouldn't have happend

There isn't a difference in hindsight, but there was a big difference immediately after the rebellion. Plus, the supporters of the rebellion considered it to be Robert's rebellion, so it made sense to make Robert king.

There isn't a difference in hindsight, but there was a big difference immediately after the rebellion. Plus, the supporters of the rebellion considered it to be Robert's rebellion, so it made sense to make Robert king.

I know I just thought it was funny that they would do that to avoid war after the kings death and it happend anyway

His grandmother was a Targ, so he was the only one with rights to claim the throne

If Arryn took it, all the Lords wouldn't accept it

No they would accept. They have no other choice against, east-north-stormlands-riverlands alliances. I don't think everyone accept Robert because of his grandmother was targ...

Archived