Do you think Tywin was ever scared of anyone?

` I think too much is made of this or that person being feared. Individuals like the Mountain or the Hound might be feared by those who can't protect themselves from them, i.e. commoners for the most part or nobles from a small and poor house.

Any individual from a house that commands respect would never fear the Mountain because they have their house, and all retainers they may have, behind them.

On the Lord Paramount level, there is absolutely no reason for them to fear anyone, even Tywin. (The same goes for the major bannermen of the Lords Paramount) Ned didn't fear Tywin. Neither did Edmure or Ser Marq Piper or Ser Karyl Vance. The Martells and the Tyrells aren't afraid of him either.

And the same goes for Tywin. There's no need for him to fear the Starks or Tullys or Arryns or Tyrells or Martells.

I would say that all of these guys respect each other's power and would have to think twice before heading to war against one of them. But fear just isn't exhibited.

i'm sure he admits he was afraid of aerys or says something to that effect in aSoS during RR when Jaime was in the KG, and what he might do to him.
Ned Stark's van was rushing south from the Trident, and I feared it might come to swords between us. And it was in Aerys to murder Jaime, with no more cause than spite. That was the thing I feared most.
I'm sure he was afraid of other things too, he just hid it well.
ayup.

I think Tywin was afraid all his life. Afraid of death, afraid of insignificance, afraid of being forgotten, and afraid of how his kids might impact his legacy. He's actually a rather pathetic character when I think about his motivations and overall way he led his life.

This. I wouldn't say pathetic, more tragic. No person could scare Tywin though.

Aerys was mad, Bob was a drunken whoremonger, Ned let honour cloud his judgement, Doran never does anything, and Mace is an oaf.

I don't think Tywin feared people, but rather he feared what they could do to his legacy.

Tywin feared strong men leading strong great houses that had the abilty to lead them against him. Tywin's greatest victory came over two of his own rebellious houses, not another great house or warden. Robb was a 15-16 year old that in a war, he, Tywin had to resort to deception and violation of Guest Rights to win. No, Tywin was rich and ruthless. That is it.

Any man who is not afraid is a fool.

Any individual from a house that commands respect would never fear the Mountain because they have their house, and all retainers they may have, behind them.

On the Lord Paramount level, there is absolutely no reason for them to fear anyone, even Tywin. (The same goes for the major bannermen of the Lords Paramount) Ned didn't fear Tywin. Neither did Edmure or Ser Marq Piper or Ser Karyl Vance. The Martells and the Tyrells aren't afraid of him either.

And the same goes for Tywin. There's no need for him to fear the Starks or Tullys or Arryns or Tyrells or Martells.

I would say that all of these guys respect each other's power and would have to think twice before heading to war against one of them. But fear just isn't exhibited.

If you mean fear in a knee-shaking way, then no, they're not afraid. But they do fear the consequences of fucking with each other. Especially if the person they're fucking with is on some total war crusade that'll possibly mean that they'll have to fight much longer and harder. Tywin gives that impression. But if the cause is right any one of them would stand up to him. Diplomacy is always preferred though.

The same goes for the Mountain. Sure,as a knight or lord your name is usually good enough to protect you when you don't have enough guards around. But well, the Mountain has shown himself to be a psychopath with a dubious grasp on rationality so you would step carefully anyway.

I can't imagine he 'fears' anyone. After seeing what happened to his father I think that made him aspire to have people for him though!

I'd say he was cautious... Cautious of what the Mad King could do. Cautious of the Tyrells in KL etc

He's a calculated man. He understands risk and failure and acts accordingly.

WHAT A GUY!

Scared? Probably not. He understood Stannis was the greatest threat during the War of the five kings. I think he had the same kind of caution towards Ned and Robert given how good they were as commanders. Facing them was a gamble, with the odds in their favour. Tywin is not a gambling man.

You'd think such a man would stop goading his mistreated (by his hands) son who points a crossbow to him and made it clear he means business.

I think he made a mistake underestimating his son and paid the price. One false move and you can lose. Have you never played cyvasse before?

I think he made a mistake underestimating his son and paid the price. One false move and you can lose. Have you never played cyvasse before?

It's basic survival stuff rather than playing Cyvasse. Like you don't finger your electrical outlet or stay away from moving car.

His mistake was underestimating Varys' love for his position.

As for Tyrion,well, if I was him I'd think that I was dead anyway. Tyrion has nothing to lose and if he sees Shae...

Archived