Do you think Tywin was ever scared of anyone?

I don't think that he was fearless but that he controlled his fear and did not allow it to control him. But I would think that he feared many things, at one point or another. Just like 99,99% of all humans are.

I think the only time in the books Tywin was scared was when Robb was winning all his battles and kept winning and when Stannis was making his assault on KL. He was scared the Lannisters would be beaten.

He was scared of being considered weak. He grew up with his father being an extremely weak and saw his father's bannemen and the other lords of Westeros walk right over him, bringing shame to House Lannister. I think he lived his whole life to ensure that House Lannister would never be considered one to be taken advantage of again and insisting upon the Seven Kingdoms that it was a house to be feared.

I think Tywin was afraid all his life. Afraid of death, afraid of insignificance, afraid of being forgotten, and afraid of how his kids might impact his legacy. He's actually a rather pathetic character when I think about his motivations and overall way he led his life.

King Aerys, Robert Baratheon, Ned stark, Doran Martell, Mace Tyrell. They were his equals and therefore in his own lifetime, with their hosts around them a threat. Tywin always had to eventually rely on treachery and deception to take on anyone that was not one of his own rebelious bannermen.

He was scared of being considered weak. He grew up with his father being an extremely weak and saw his father's bannemen and the other lords of Westeros walk right over him, bringing shame to House Lannister. I think he lived his whole life to ensure that House Lannister would never be considered one to be taken advantage of again and insisting upon the Seven Kingdoms that it was a house to be feared.

This. Tywin's fear would have been an intellectual fear of the ways his house could fall, rather than an instinctive fear of a specific person. We know that even as a ten year old Tywin had a pretty intimidating presence, and his position as a High Lord would have meant he rarely, if ever, contemplated being in physical danger.

This...not someone...I guess himself.

I think Tywin was wary of many, but I doubt he was really afraid of them.

Those that he was likely wary towards were: Robert Baratheon (for the sake of the potential army Robert could raise if he had to), Aerys (for the sake of his son), Stannis, and Doran.

Though the information is scarce, I'm sure he showed caution towards men like Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully.

King Aerys, Robert Baratheon, Ned stark, Doran Martell, Mace Tyrell. They were his equals and therefore in his own lifetime, with their hosts around them a threat. Tywin always had to eventually rely on treachery and deception to take on anyone that was not one of his own rebelious bannermen.

Aerys was mad, Bob was a drunken whoremonger, Ned let honour cloud his judgement, Doran never does anything, and Mace is an oaf.

I don't think Tywin feared people, but rather he feared what they could do to his legacy.

:agree:

Also, wasn't he kind of wary/afraid of Stannis? IIRC, he was worried about him even during the time period between the Blackwater and the Red Wedding. Or am I wrong about that?

Archived