Questions as I reread...

caravaggio

It was a very awkward encounter while out shopping. Ned "So..er..how's Robert?" Cersei "Don't know, don't care."

Bahaha...

It might just be a slip up... but the two chapters are so close to each other... it would seem he would have caught that. I think we can assume that neither Cersei or Robert has been in the North, so Ned would have had to have seen her somewhere in the south. with the exception of Harrenhall, Ned doesn't seem like the kind of guy who enjoys tourneys either.

New question...

In Cat I Eddard says he last saw Tommen at Cersei's breast and asks if he is 5 now. Cat corrects him, Tommen is 7, the same age as Bran.

In Eddard I when Ned meets Robert he remembers the last time he saw Robert... 9 years ago during the Greyjoy Rebellion.

So what could have been the occasion for Ned to see Cersei and Tommen and not Robert?

Not sure about the timeline, but Bobby B threw a big tourney at Lannisport after the victory over the Greyjoy Rebellion. I could imagine that happening a couple of years later, which would fit the time line of Ned running into Cersei and co there, presuming Ned went to the tourney.

The interesting point is why did Illyrio give Dany the eggs if she were just meant to die and I think the answer lies with the red priest (possibly Moqqoro as he is described as very fat/broad) when did they first become interested in her, was this the reason for the gift and a last minuet change of plan?

I've been assuming all along that the eggs were a symbolic gift, and that Illyrio had no idea that real dragons would ever hatch out of them.

Is it stated who from Braavos was on Dany's wedding? I am interested in Sealord of Braavos' part in Illyrio scheme. He was witness of contract between Martells and Willem Darry. Why should he support Targ claim on Iron Throne? Or his presence on signing marriage agreement was just symbolic because they were in Braavos and he is in charge there? I doubt that because of delicacy of situation

Not sure about the timeline, but Bobby B threw a big tourney at Lannisport after the victory over the Greyjoy Rebellion. I could imagine that happening a couple of years later, which would fit the time line of Ned running into Cersei and co there, presuming Ned went to the tourney.

But wouldn't Robert have been at the tourney then?

I don't recall that Moqorro is so fat, is he? And Dany probably should notice that she was also Summer islander or should notice his tattooes on cheeks

'A huge man, taller than Ser Jorah and wide enough to make two of him.'

'The wizard was a monster of of a man, as tall as Victarion himself and twice as wide, with a belly like a boulder...'

Vic and Jorah aren't exactly short and skinny, so Moqorro must be pretty big. And Vic's testimony is after he's spent 10 days adrift.

Okay, new question... In the Bran chapter (right before he wakes up) where he is having visions of what is currently taking place around the world; two things...

1. Who is the knight armored in stone with nothing under his helm but black blood? I know a lot of people speculate Gregor, but everything else in the vision is something happening at that moment in the books. Could it be a reference to Robert being dead inside?

2. The dragons in Assahi? Thoughts?

'A huge man, taller than Ser Jorah and wide enough to make two of him.'

'The wizard was a monster of of a man, as tall as Victarion himself and twice as wide, with a belly like a boulder...'

Vic and Jorah aren't exactly short and skinny, so Moqorro must be pretty big. And Vic's testimony is after he's spent 10 days adrift.

I've always assumed it probably was Moqorro at the wedding, but that begs the question... Why didn't he hitch his wagon to her then? You might have ended up with a burning arm Drogo then!

Okay, new question... In the Bran chapter (right before he wakes up) where he is having visions of what is currently taking place around the world; two things...

1. Who is the knight armored in stone with nothing under his helm but black blood? I know a lot of people speculate Gregor, but everything else in the vision is something happening at that moment in the books. Could it be a reference to Robert being dead inside?

2. The dragons in Assahi? Thoughts?

1. The two main theories are Gregor (Frankengregor to be ;) ) and Littlefinger, as Baelish's sigil refers back to the Titan of Braavos, the statue of an armored man overlooking the harbour of Braavos. It's still pretty unclear though.

2. Don't think they'll ever be important tbh.

1. The two main theories are Gregor (Frankengregor to be ;) ) and Littlefinger, as Baelish's sigil refers back to the Titan of Braavos, the statue of an armored man overlooking the harbour of Braavos. It's still pretty unclear though.

2. Don't think they'll ever be important tbh.

Yes, I've ehard those theories and they do make sense when you are just looking at the one line, but when you look at the context of the whole passage everything is happening live... Cat is traveling by boat to KL, Jon is freezing his nuts off, and the aftermath of the Arya/Robert scene at the Darry's stronghold is happening... So how could it be Gregor or Littlefinger when they weren't even there?

Jon can also be foreshadowing, not necesarily the present case (Jon being shock-freezed in the storage room - between the salting and the smoking room... :P)

As for the present, Littlefinger, Jaime and Sandor are the three people who have the most importance for the current state of the Stark family even at that point - LF via Lysa's letter and Arryn's death, Jaime through Bran's fall, and Sandor via the Mycah incident.

Jon can also be foreshadowing, not necesarily the present case (Jon being shock-freezed in the storage room - between the salting and the smoking room... :P)

As for the present, Littlefinger, Jaime and Sandor are the three people who have the most importance for the current state of the Stark family even at that point - LF via Lysa's letter and Arryn's death, Jaime through Bran's fall, and Sandor via the Mycah incident.

I know what you are saying... I've tried to look at it as events happening at the present which could also foreshadow future events (The Jon one is a good example), but I would think George definitely wants us to at least interpret what we see as the events as they are playing out now (and perhaps later again as other events/people). If that is the case someone there at the Darry should have been the knight armored in stone.

I don't know if those three people (that you listed) can be said to have the most importance to the Starks current situation... Why not Joffery or Robert or Cersei?

The only other knight I can think of (besides Robert) is Renly ... but, I'm not sure how he would fit either.

I think you underestimate the Dothraki. 40,000 well seasoned light cavalry, or so, would be a major force in Westeros. While they stand little chance against an army of knights, most of the Westerosi army is poorly trained light infantry: little more than target practice. Meanwhile knights eager for glory are prone to get themselves killed. And finally, the military structure doesn't help either. Odds are each warden would commit his forces on his own, largely equalizing the odds.

The Dothraki would lose, eventually, but not without dealing massive damage. After that, the path for Aegon could be fairly clear.

Note that Varys is in the perfect position. He can supply information as needed. That's a powerful tool... the ability to lead either army into a trap.

That all good and well but as The Ned said "I'll fear the Dothraki when they teach their horses to run across the ocean" they fear the ocean so I doubt 40000 of them would cross the sea for anyone other than the mother of dragons which she was yet.

That all good and well but as The Ned said "I'll fear the Dothraki when they teach their horses to run across the ocean" they fear the ocean so I doubt 40000 of them would cross the sea for anyone other than the mother of dragons which she was yet.

To add, the passage where Khal Drogo hears about the wine merchant's assassination attempt on Dany shows us that he at first had no real intention of crossing the Narrow Sea. There is a description of how even the mighty Drogo was afraid of the sea. But when he hears about Robert's assassination attempt, he vows to cross to Westeros and give Dany the IT.

You might argue that this assassination attempt was planned all along to get Drogo riled up, but I find it unlikely that Illyrio/Varys would count on that alone being able to convince Drogo to invade Westeros.

Archived