(Spoilers) An aspect of the Red Wedding that is odd. (Spoilers)

Burn-the-7

I think it's wrong to say that Knights have no honor...I just think that the knights that perpetrated this offense found themselves on the sides of the Freys rather than on the side of the Starks.

NOT TRYING TO JUSTIFY THE RED WEDDING, however, what if we instead had Frey POV's (honestly, I wish we DID have at least one), and then we heard how a horde of northmen came wanting to use their bridge, and then made some promises and then went off. What if we heard how some of the Freys got killed in the cause, and how the war effected the Twins in negative ways, and then in the end, the Northmen broke their promise for pretty much no reason other than he "fell in love"........

'Just following orders' or not, guest right seems such a huge deal in Westeros that I have to imagine a lot of the soldiers being asked to participate (not just knights) were uneasy or flat-out terrified of what they were doing. The gods curse those who break guest right, and while Walder Frey may sneer at divine retribution, I'm guessing a very large number of his men are superstitious and/or religious enough to be very much afraid of the consequences of what they've done.

Find me a bunch of examples of an army turning on their commanders and lords to prevent the slaughter of innocents. Find me more examples of an army slaughtering a bunch of innocents because that's what they are supposed to do. Most people aren't going to give up their homes, lands, and lives all over some moral principle.

I think it's wrong to say that Knights have no honor...I just think that the knights that perpetrated this offense found themselves on the sides of the Freys rather than on the side of the Starks.

NOT TRYING TO JUSTIFY THE RED WEDDING, however, what if we instead had Frey POV's (honestly, I wish we DID have at least one), and then we heard how a horde of northmen came wanting to use their bridge, and then made some promises and then went off. What if we heard how some of the Freys got killed in the cause, and how the war effected the Twins in negative ways, and then in the end, the Northmen broke their promise for pretty much no reason other than he "fell in love"........

That's all there if you think about it though. The fact that nobody chooses to look at it that way is their prerogative. A bunch of Frey men die fighting with Robb including Stevron, Lord Walder's heir.

We may not have had Walder Frey's POV, but we had Merrett's, and he was pretty clear that dear old Dad was running the show based on some twisted notion of lost honour. It was Robb's marriage to a girl of a lesser House that angered them, the broken vow, not the dead sons or soldiers. Merrett Frey was a rather dense guy, though, and incredibly whingey and petty, so I wouldn't give his arguments much credit as far as moral justifications are concerned...

But who knows. Perhaps the Freys fed their soldiers some tale about reclaiming honour, righting a grevious wrong, or avenging fallen comrades. Personally I don't think they bothered with anything more than giving the orders and shutting away the Freys who were sympathetic to Robb.

Find me a bunch of examples of an army turning on their commanders and lords to prevent the slaughter of innocents. Find me more examples of an army slaughtering a bunch of innocents because that's what they are supposed to do. Most people aren't going to give up their homes, lands, and lives all over some moral principle.

Who says they give a damn about the slaughter of innocents? Very obviously they don't. I'm sure quite a few of them could rape little girls and smash in peasant's heads all day without blinking...because there is no consequence. Might makes right, in such a case, and I'm sure guys like Gregor Clegane didn't have to go far to find soldiers willing to follow the worst kinds of orders.

And who gives a damn about moral principles? The issue isn't morality. It's retribution. If Westerosi commoners are brought up on tales like the Rat King, told how the gods curse the kinslayer and the violator of guest right, then who in their right mind wants to anger the gods? There must have been many a man-at-arms praying silently, when he received his orders, that divine punishment would fall on Walder Frey's head instead of his own.

This isn't specific to the Red Wedding or ASOIF, but a feature of fiction in general. Conspiracies can always last just long enough, across however many people are in on them, to achieve the author's purpose.

I'm sure we're all familiar with it: huge, X-Files like conspiracies that the protagonists only become aware of by the occasional official who tries to leak the secrets of their existence, only to die just before proof can be secured. In the case of the Red Wedding, one would suspect that, out of a force of several hundred knights and thousands of footmen, at least a few would have had issue with breaking guest right and tried to warn the Starks. Since the secret only had to be kept for a few days at most, it can be accepted as barely plausible. But the odds were against it working.

This isn't specific to the Red Wedding or ASOIF, but a feature of fiction in general. Conspiracies can always last just long enough, across however many people are in on them, to achieve the author's purpose.

I'm sure we're all familiar with it: huge, X-Files like conspiracies that the protagonists only become aware of by the occasional official who tries to leak the secrets of their existence, only to die just before proof can be secured. In the case of the Red Wedding, one would suspect that, out of a force of several hundred knights and thousands of footmen, at least a few would have had issue with breaking guest right and tried to warn the Starks. Since the secret only had to be kept for a few days at most, it can be accepted as barely plausible. But the odds were against it working.

Even if some Frey men-at-arms had been joking with some Northern men-at-arms, like if one says to another, "I'm going to kill you by morning!" what's the Northman to do? Tell his commander? It's a wedding, everyone is drunk as balls. If some weird Frey says he's going to kill you, you go find someone else to drink with and stay away from that guy. Maybe his companions shush him up and move him off real quick. "Someone put Drunkmouth in the horse trough! He's gonna give it away!" No-one expects that kind of shit at a wedding.

Who says they give a damn about the slaughter of innocents? Very obviously they don't. I'm sure quite a few of them could rape little girls and smash in peasant's heads all day without blinking...because there is no consequence. Might makes right, in such a case, and I'm sure guys like Gregor Clegane didn't have to go far to find soldiers willing to follow the worst kinds of orders.

And who gives a damn about moral principles? The issue isn't morality. It's retribution. If Westerosi commoners are brought up on tales like the Rat King, told how the gods curse the kinslayer and the violator of guest right, then who in their right mind wants to anger the gods? There must have been many a man-at-arms praying silently, when he received his orders, that divine punishment would fall on Walder Frey's head instead of his own.

Are they all brought up on the story of the Rat King? Or just those in the North?

Archived