Is Obesity a Disease?

Fragile Bird

If you bothered to actually look at the photo that was linked to, I don't see how the above is relevant. When that guy weighed 238 pounds, it seems obvious to me that it was not because of excess muscle. I think it's highly unlikely a body fat measure would not have also shown him to be obese.

I did look at the photo. The fact that he doesnt need a motorized scooter is what youre arguing?

You know, I read somewhere about the scientific (Ie primitive, subconscious) reasons for fat aversion. It's not all cultural.

Apparently, it's a natural, subconscious response to someone the average person might see as polluting the gene pool. IMO, I'm not justifying being mean/discriminating against fat people. I just thought it was interesting.

Kind of like how lions just go ahead and eat the weak babies.

We are genetically encoded, some may not agree, to go after the members of the opposite sex who we think will produce offspring. In today's society, a woman may go for a man who can protect and provide in a way that doesn't make use of his muscles- money, and women have surgical tricks, undergarments, etc, that can create the illusion of "ferility". But yeah, obesity...morbidly obese people, do have problems conceiving children.

We are genetically encoded, some may not agree, to go after the members of the opposite sex who we think will produce offspring. In today's society, a woman may go for a man who can protect and provide in a way that doesn't make use of his muscles- money, and women have surgical tricks, undergarments, etc, that can create the illusion of "ferility". But yeah, obesity...morbidly obese people, do have problems conceiving children.

I agree. I also however, get pissed as fuark when men in their 40's and 50's adopt this high and mighty attitude because they're still "fertile" and the women in the same age group aren't (not always true) and therefore feel entitled to date me.

"You have working ovaries, I have money, let's go" type of thing. They harp biology all day long and I harp right back that biology tells me to go mate with a fit young stud who is about to overthrow the geriatric old fart of a pack leader.

They don't like hearing that, since they think they are oh so much better than their female counterparts. When I smack them back down to reality, they scream "but biology says we should be together". Um, no it doesn't. How a 45 year old man can think a 40 year old woman is old and that he deserves the 22 year olds is vain and sexist, whether it is biology or not.

We're all responsible for rising above basic animal kingdom thinking.

Archived