How wounded is Ser Loras?

A lot of people speculate that he isn't wounded at all and their are some shenanigans afoot. I like this idea. I'm all about shenanigans. But where is the evidence and what would his motives be? I mean, margery was pretty convincingly sick when she heard about the oil so she isn't in on it. The QoT is a schemer but I still don't see any reason to believe he isn't just wounded on dragonstone. What am I missing?

I suspect that Loras is unhurt, but am not so sure that Marg isn't in on the plot. She's a schemer, too. Just not as experienced at it as Lady Olenna. I'm sure that Loras is on his way to confront the Ironborn who are raiding the Reach.

Never thought of this particular angle, but it makes more sense than anything i came up with.

I believed that the initial account of Ser Loras' injuries were correct, because I think GRRM's plotting strategy is: how can I destroy the defining feature/glory of X character? & then to go about doing exactly that thing.

Loras' defining quality was his looks. I imagine that he'll survive, but he'll be hideous -- his whole face burned, a mass of scars.

I believed that the initial account of Ser Loras' injuries were correct, because I think GRRM's plotting strategy is: how can I destroy the defining feature/glory of X character? & then to go about doing exactly that thing.

Loras' defining quality was his looks. I imagine that he'll survive, but he'll be hideous -- his whole face burned, a mass of scars.

Exactly: Jaime loved sword play; martin took his hand, Tyrion likes his wit; Martin took his nose to smite his face, Cersie loves her children; Martin will take them, Sansa like knights; Martin destroyed the fantasy. Ned liked his honor and most characters believe he died with out it. Khal Drogo was a great warrior and died from a scratch. Visery's wanted a crown and got one. Martin destroys the Things characters love the most. Loras was vain, arrogant. He thought his image was important. Loras is horribly disfigured, it should make him stronger as a character I can't wait to see what rides back south to KL.

Precisely this. So my answer would be "Definitely very wounded."

Nice theory. I felt that Loras was defined by knocking men off horses with sticks, as his grandmother said.

It's but a flesh wound. Nah, I think he'll look much like Sandor now, because that's ironic in respect to Sansa or something. :rolleyes:

I find the disfiguring thing actually a bit repetitive of GRRM now and not just because he is my favorite. Found it annoying with Tyrion and Brienne too (Jaime made sense).

ETA: Never got that Loras was especially concerned with his looks. Using them to his advantage sure, but most of his being vain and arrogant is about his martial skills and knightly-ness and rosewater pissing Tyrell-pride. (Love this show quote in this respect: "It's not a gift no-one gave it to me. I'm good because I work at it. Everyday of my life ...") His looks, now that's a gift of the gods all right and probably nothing to feel too accomplished about.

Loras is hungry for fame, brave and a brilliant warrior. There is no way he orders such a blood conquest of Dragonstone, without leading from the front. I actually believe the account of his gallant deeds. He was at the Van during the Blackwater too. I think he will live, but he probably will be scared as has been said.

When Arya is blind in the HoBaW she finds two Westerosi corpses, one matches Loras' description the other sounds like Olenna. It makes no sense that they would be there but I can't think why GRRM spent so much time with that event if it was not important. I'm not saying it is them as like I said it makes no sense, but I don't know who else it could have described.

If it's not them I'm guessing he's not nearly as wounded as Cersei thinks and he has gone to the Reach, but if he is wounded I hope he dies or is just removed from the story as characters changing because of serious injury is getting a little old, and he would be a poor substitute for the Hound.

Exactly: Jaime loved sword play; martin took his hand, Tyrion likes his wit; Martin took his nose to smite his face, Cersie loves her children; Martin will take them, Sansa like knights; Martin destroyed the fantasy. Ned liked his honor and most characters believe he died with out it. Khal Drogo was a great warrior and died from a scratch. Visery's wanted a crown and got one. Martin destroys the Things characters love the most. Loras was vain, arrogant. He thought his image was important. Loras is horribly disfigured, it should make him stronger as a character I can't wait to see what rides back south to KL.

Great deduction. I was going to make a point about GRRM making people lose things that they love most, but this post sums up everything I wanted to say and more.

i think Loras is holding dragonstone (maybe not personally but sacked it and left a garrison) and is not hurt. and is either helping stannis with dragon glass, of up to something else. maybe dealing with iron born himself. but no, loras is not dead. cersies septa (gaoler) mention margerys brother and then gets in trouble before she can finish. if the news is the same as cersie heard (which the faith would have known that she knew, because the timeline) there would be no problem saying "Loras is dead" because cersei knows that.

I think Loras wants Cersei to think he's injured because of something he's found on Dragonstone, maybe Dragon Eggs. Or maybe he's already taken Dragonstone and is now somewhere else, and he doesn't want Cersei to know he's there.

It hadn't occurred to me that Loras wasn't really injured until I read it a while back on the boards, but I love this idea. I like him in play - I think he has some potential to be interesting and to act on behalf of the Tyrells outside of KL, so I hope you guys are right that he's not going to die...

Archived