Did Bloodraven play a part in Maekar's Death?

protar

So the year 233 After Aegon's Landing. Three big events happen in this year. The biggest perhaps is that a Great Council is called and Aegon V is named king. However that only happens because Maekar dies fighting an outlaw lord. The identity of this outlaw lord is never specified and the only SSM on it that I know of simply confirms it was not a Blackfyre. Here's the SSM in question:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1285/

Seems like it would have been pretty simple to just confirm what lord it was right there but Martin doesn't. And the third event in 233 is Bloodraven being sent to the Wall in chains for reasons unknown. So is there a connection here?

Well maekar did dislike bloodraven for being made the hand when he feels like he should of been.

So what i assume happened is maekar becomes king and sends bloodraven to the dungeons... Wether he had some to do with his death we have yet to find out but i doubt it..

Egg sent him to the wall with his own brother aemon... I think he didnt wanna disrespect his father by lettin bloodraven go but didnt wanna leave his uncle? Rotting in the dungeons so he sent him to the wall

Bloodraven had already been imprisoned, right? It's certainly possible, but, at this point, we can say it's possible that any of the other characters around at the time had a hand in his death.

I don't think so. In the list of events, BR being sent to the Wall is placed after Aegon's crowning and therefore after Maekar's death on this page:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Years_after_Aegon%27s_Landing

Obviously it could have been anybody, but we know of no other Lords punished for some mysterious act in the same year as Maekar's death. This seems more than a little suspect to me.

So the year 233 After Aegon's Landing. Three big events happen in this year. The biggest perhaps is that a Great Council is called and Aegon V is named king. However that only happens because Maekar dies fighting an outlaw lord. The identity of this outlaw lord is never specified and the only SSM on it that I know of simply confirms it was not a Blackfyre. Here's the SSM in question:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1285/

Seems like it would have been pretty simple to just confirm what lord it was right there but Martin doesn't. And the third event in 233 is Bloodraven being sent to the Wall in chains for reasons unknown. So is there a connection here?

Maekar threw BR in the BC when he took the throne. Egg released BR to the Watch after Egg ascended to his father's throne.

Maekar threw BR in the BC when he took the throne. Egg released BR to the Watch after Egg ascended to his father's throne.

Is that confirmed or just speculation? I mean even if Maekar disliked BR it seems like he would at least need some pretext for throwing BR into a dungeon. And GRRM's implicit refusal to answer what lord Maekar was fighting indicates some importance to it imo. Why not just say "yeah it was a Lothston" or whoever?

Plus my theory is more interesting ;)

Is that confirmed or just speculation? I mean even if Maekar disliked BR it seems like he would at least need some pretext for throwing BR into a dungeon. And GRRM's implicit refusal to answer what lord Maekar was fighting indicates some importance to it imo. Why not just say "yeah it was a Lothston" or whoever?

Plus my theory is more interesting ;)

Sorry dude that bit is gospel.

Maekar imprisoned Bloodraven, he was always of a prickly nature.

And if you have not read the D&E tales don't read this next bit:

I personally hope that the imprisonment was actually just a cover for more Plumm in later stories. It would be a perfect way for him to disappear without a lot of questions.

I don't think so. In the list of events, BR being sent to the Wall is placed after Aegon's crowning and therefore after Maekar's death on this page:

http://awoiaf.wester...Aegon's_Landing

You check that, but not the Bloodraven entry?

"During the reign of Maekar I, who still disliked him, Bloodraven was kept imprisoned in the Red Keep's black cells until around 233AL, the year King Aegon V ascended to the throne. He was then sent to the Wall as part of the "honor guard" of prisoners that accompanied Aegon's brother Maester Aemon. "

You check that, but not the Bloodraven entry?

"During the reign of Maekar I, who still disliked him, Bloodraven was kept imprisoned in the Red Keep's black cells until around 233AL, the year King Aegon V ascended to the throne. He was then sent to the Wall as part of the "honor guard" of prisoners that accompanied Aegon's brother Maester Aemon. "

Fair enough, I jumped the gun. My bad.

Disappointing really, if it's just a simple matter of Maekar not liking BR.

I somehow got the impression that Bloodraven was accused of causing the deaths of Prince Rhaegel and his children? Even though his plan was to continue to rule through them, no doubt, and if they were killed, it was probably by an enemy BR's who wanted Maekar on the throne. Maester conspiracy, perhaps?

Makes me wonder how BR's skin-changing, sorcery and general brilliance didn't suffice to prevent this, though, or at least didn't allow him to escape before getting arrested.

10 years in the Black cells... shouldn't it have completely debilitated a person physically?

I somehow got the impression that Bloodraven was accused of causing the deaths of Prince Rhaegel and his children? Even though his plan was to continue to rule through them, no doubt, and if they were killed, it was probably by an enemy BR's who wanted Maekar on the throne. Maester conspiracy, perhaps?

Makes me wonder how BR's skin-changing, sorcery and general brilliance didn't suffice to prevent this, though, or at least didn't allow him to escape before getting arrested.

10 years in the Black cells... shouldn't it have completely debilitated a person physically?

Who says it didn't. I mean he's not looking very sprightly in ADWD. ;)

Archived