What if on Tyrion

MadFox

I have been wondering ( I know this changes the character a lot) if Tyrion had not been born an imp but still killed hid mother during his birth. Would Tywin still hate him or would he truly see him for what he really is?

I think Tywin would have resented Tyrion for both killing his wife and for being a dwarf. Taking away one but not the other may mitigate the pain but it wouldn't completely take it away. Though if Tyrion had had Jaime's body but his own brain, Tywin would have had an easier time stomaching him as his heir even if they never became BFFs.

I have been wondering ( I know this changes the character a lot) if Tyrion had not been born an imp but still killed hid mother during his birth. Would Tywin still hate him or would he truly see him for what he really is?

To me, you're kind of asking two related questions. The first one is, 'How would not being a dwarf affect Tyrion?' I don't think you can really delve into Tywin's attitude toward his son until you answer that. Does Tyrion still caper about doing cartwheels and walking the length of the dinner table on his hands? Does he marry Tysha? Does he drink as much? Is he as bookish? What is his attitude (and actions) toward prostitutes? According to Tywin, a large part of his animosity toward Tyrion stemmed from the way Tyrion conducted himself. A Tyrion in a bigger body is a different Tyrion from the one we all know and love/hate.

We do not know how much Joanna really meant to Tywin, if she was his only anchor to normal human emotions, his support and inspiration. Or If , with her death, only the possibility to have other, "normal" and not cursed children was taken from him.

But the way Tywin acted I doubt that even before Joanna's death he was capable of healthy human relationships (Iguess many men of higher nobility weren't after our present day definition)

Hating the baby for killing the wife or the mother in childbirth? A death like that happened fairly often in a historical timesetting analogous to Martinworld and the families concerned had to cope somehow. Men remarried and the children had to deal with a new mother. There have been lots of speculations why Tywin never remarried and none of them is conclusive imo. I think it is a decision from the author's side for plot's sake that has no intrinsic explication (so far, I may be wrong).

About Tyrion as a dwarf: there is a wonderful text taken from another forum in the following thread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/91087-a-dwarfs-perspective-on-tyrion-lannister/#entry4621670

Archived