Dunk Appreciation D&E spoilers

mindchap

The thing that makes the identification of Ser Maynard a lock is the repetition of the phrase "nest of adders", the first time by our alleged hedge Knight when he is fixing Dunk's wound, the second time by Bloodraven at the end of TMK.

And when Dunk says that if all the stories were true we'd all be King Aegon's bastards, to which Plumm replies, who's to say we're not.

My favorite moments from each of the novellas:

The Hedge Knight:

-Dunk, the only true knight at Ashford, coming to the rescue of Tanselle

-His speech when he is looking for his last champion

The Sworn Sword:

-All the interactions with the Red Widdow

-The comical value of Ser Bennis ^^

The Mystery Knight:

-Anything related to Bloodraven, my favorite character throughout all the books

Dunk is the character i can best relate to so far. Even his physical description kind of fits me (I'm almost 7 feet) and the fact that he, as a lowborn, is probably the truest knight that ever lived in Westeros.

I can also relate to his lady problems^^

I really hope young Nan gives him a good time at WF ;)

I also really like the humor in the novellas, i had to lol so often while reading, even in the bus with 20 people staring at me ^^

Do you need a clout in the ear to help you hear better?

A knight is more impressive with a squire in attendance, so I have decided that Egg should accompany you to Coldmoat.”

Outwitted by a boy of ten. Dunk looked at Egg and silently mouthed the words clout in the ear. The

boy grinned.

I have just started the Hedge Knight, and it is probably one of the best novellas I have ever read. It is so lovingly written about Dunk, his hopes and dreams and difficulties. I just want to go there, give him a big hug and say "It's gonna be all right." My favourite part so far is Dunk fantasising about having a real house with 4 walls and a ceiling (I know) to sleep in, and he immediately thinks about how much Egg would like it, and how much better Egg's future could be. Bless his cotton socks!

On a superfluous note, I fell in love with Baelor Breakspear, and am not even a big fan of Targs. I know his story, so my heart is already broken.

I have just started the Hedge Knight, and it is probably one of the best novellas I have ever read. It is so lovingly written about Dunk, his hopes and dreams and difficulties. I just want to go there, give him a big hug and say "It's gonna be all right." My favourite part so far is Dunk fantasising about having a real house with 4 walls and a ceiling (I know) to sleep in, and he immediately thinks about how much Egg would like it, and how much better Egg's future could be. Bless his cotton socks!

On a superfluous note, I fell in love with Baelor Breakspear, and am not even a big fan of Targs. I know his story, so my heart is already broken.

If you haven't finished them all you may not want to read this thread yet.

` Wait, Egg is on only ten at the start of these tales?

A knight is more impressive with a squire in attendance, so I have decided that Egg should accompany you to Coldmoat.”

Outwitted by a boy of ten. Dunk looked at Egg and silently mouthed the words clout in the ear. The

boy grinned.

` Wait, Egg is on only ten at the start of these tales?

boy grinned.

The second novella takes place about 1 1/2 years after The Hedge Knight, which would make Egg about 8 at the start of novellas

From THK: "Dunk was hugely tall for his age, a shambling, shaggy, big boned boy of sixteen or seventeen years (no one was quite certain which)..."

I doubt that even Dunk knows exactly how old he is, or even when his birthday is, considering he doesn't remember his parents and I doubt he had birthday parties in Flea Bottom.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that he isn't sure what his age actually is. Hell, in THK he isn't even 100% sure what his name actually is! From THK: "'Is it short for Duncan?' Was it? The old man had just called him Dunk for as long as he could recall, and he did not remember much of his life before."

Yeah, it's pretty clear that he isn't sure what his age actually is. Hell, in THK he isn't even 100% sure what his name actually is! From THK: "'Is it short for Duncan?' Was it? The old man had just called him Dunk for as long as he could recall, and he did not remember much of his life before."

Yeah, I like the part where Egg is ranting about bastards and Dunk points out the he may be one as well. I think that's what made Egg such a great king, all the "givens" he's brought up with are called into question everyday when he's with Dunk, and he realizes those givens are rarely right.

Since there will be 6-12 D&E novellas in total, I'm certain we will see or at least hear more about Bloodraven. :)

I've already found some insight into the possible magics Bloodraven could have practiced.

"His hands are scarlet with a brother's blood, and the blood of his young nephews too," the hunchback had declared to the crowd that had gathered in the market square. "A shadow came at his command to strangle brave Prince Valarr's sons in their mother's womb.

Well we know of at least 2 shadow babies in ASOIAF.

Further on Dunk thinks about Bloodraven:

How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? the riddle ran. A thousand eyes, and one. Some claimed the King's Hand was a student of the dark arts who could change his face, put on the likeness of a one-eyed dog, even turn into a mist. Packs of gaunt gray wolves hunted down his foes, men said, and carrion crows spied for him and whispered secrets in his ear. Most of the tales were only tales, Dunk did not doubt, but no one could doubt that Bloodraven had informers everywhere.

-Change his face; Yep i would take that one as confirmed

-the one-eyed dog; Don't know if this ones true.

-Packs of gaunt gray wolves; Well, Nymeria has a pack of wolves and if Arya would know more about warging, she could use them to hunt down Freys

-Crows and maybe Ravens? spied for him; Well at least now that one is obviously true, but it could have also been back then.

Is it just gossip and foul accusations or maybe a hint from GRRM, at what Bloodraven was capable of back in the day.

Archived