Dunk Appreciation D&E spoilers

mindchap

I'm sure there have been plenty of these threads but reading around it seems quite a few people lately have decided to read the novellas so why not do another one? It doesn't have to be just Dunk, or just appreciation, what bits did you like or dislike throughout the stories?

My personal favorites have to be Dunk's speech at Ashford Meadow, and Plumm discussing the (un)Lady Frey. :)

Not to mention these stories made the Targaryens my favorite house in the whole ASOIAF universe.

Not to mention these stories made the Targaryens my favorite house in the whole ASOIAF universe.

Same for me. I always liked Dany and Maester Aemon, but Egg and Baelor Breakspear solidified the Targs as my favorite. My favorite story was The Sworn Sword, but all three are great.

I think Bloodraven is the best character to come out of it. He knows he isn't liked, but he doesn't care. He plays up his role and makes a few examples, but has the realm's interest at heart and is truly loyal. He's also no fool.

Dunk is a good counterpoint to the robber knights like the Mountain.

And despite his opinion of himself as "Dunk the Lunk, thick as a castle wall", he is actually rather intelligent if a bit slow of thought. For example, it is he not Egg that figures out how Bloodraven got the dragon's egg out of Whitewalls---see the end of "The Mystery Knight".

I think one of the things that made Dunk a great knight was the fact that he was a "lunk", he doesn't over-analyze things, but most often relies on instinct, and his instincts are always to help the innocent or the helpless before all others. He doesn't dwell a lot on politics, just right and wrong. It's nice to have a character like that after reading the novels, sometimes a cliched good guy just makes a good story.

And despite his opinion of himself as "Dunk the Lunk, thick as a castle wall", he is actually rather intelligent if a bit slow of thought. For example, it is he not Egg that figures out how Bloodraven got the dragon's egg out of Whitewalls---see the end of "The Mystery Knight".

He didn't figure out who Plumm was though, but I think that was mainly because of the fact that he thought Egg was dead, and he had lost a ton of blood.

Weird, I found most of them to be unpleasant and just more proof that they shouldn't be ruling anything. Baelor dies and Egg is the only other decent one...

Weird, I found most of them to be unpleasant and just more proof that they shouldn't be ruling anything. Baelor dies and Egg is the only other decent one...

Aerys, Daeron, and Aemon were all good Targaryens. And while Maekar was a bit prickly he did do what was right when it came down to it. He exiles Aerion, and let's Egg continue to squire for Dunk.

Dunk putting a beat-down Aerion. It's a pretty inspiring scene in a world where guys like Aerion rarely get challenged, especially in public where everyone can see.

Not to mention surrounded by his own men. I read these spoiler free and had no idea what was coming, Tansy's finger cracked and all that king and country crap just went out the window.

Not to mention surrounded by his own men. I read these spoiler free and had no idea what was coming, Tansy's finger cracked and all that king and country crap just went out the window.

I read them spoiler free as well. It was a pretty awesome fist pump moment, since after having read ASOIAF, I was expecting the horror to just continue.

On this same note, Dunk talking with Maekar after the fight was really cool. The bit about how Egg might benefit growing up differently then Aerion and the Drunk One (forgot his name).

I read them spoiler free as well. It was a pretty awesome fist pump moment, since after having read ASOIAF, I was expecting the horror to just continue.

On this same note, Dunk talking with Maekar after the fight was really cool. The bit about how Egg might benefit growing up differently then Aerion and the Drunk One (forgot his name).

Yeah, I was expecting Maekar to pop him one for that, but I guess he knew Dunk was right.

The Drunk One = Daeron Targaryen

Yep

I have just recently read the Dunk and Egg stories, and loved all three. It was awesome having something ASOIAF related to read while waiting for book six.

I love Dunk as a character. Kinda like a male version of Brienne.

I have just recently read the Dunk and Egg stories, and loved all three. It was awesome having something ASOIAF related to read while waiting for book six.

I think that's where the theories started. I was so hoping that the next one would be out at the end of this year. I mean I love the Targs but I would much rather have another D&E than the original Dance of Dragons.

Funnily, I've gotten the completely opposite impression: As soon as Tanselle's fingers cracked, I knew that you could never leave a house with such a superiority complex in a position of highest power.

But I do get that the books also highlight the other side of the Targ cointoss (most prominently Baelor B. is awesomeness personified), so I understand where you're coming from. It speaks in favour of the novellas that even though they're more straightforward than the novels, they still can be approached and interpreted in many different ways. :cheers:

Yes, I think I appreciate Dunk even more (if that's even possible) knowing now that he's Brienne's ancestor, in blood as well as mindset. And conversely, I also appreciate Brienne more for the link to Dunk. :grouphug:

Recently just read them myself and really enjoyed them. Good Ole Dunk, he's a hard man not to like, and Egg is pretty funny. Some of my fav moments are when Dunk kicks Aerion in the face. Then the next day he's wondering why people are cheering him and Steely Pate tells him '' because you're a knight who hasn't forgotten his vows.'' A rare moment.

One bit I found hilarious was when Dunk and Bennis were asking their recruits if any of them had any experience in battle, and one of them says ''I throw rocks pretty well'', and Bennis replies '' We got us a fucking trebuchect boys.'' lol Then they started calling him 'Treb.'

Lots of great little moments.

Archived