Dunk Appreciation D&E spoilers

mindchap

Ok so I just did a reread of the novellas, adn now i have a question...Is Maynard Plumm one of Bloodraven's spies or is it Bloodraven himself only glamoured?

I think the consensus is that it's Bloodraven himself.

I think the consensus is that it's Bloodraven himself.

Yeah, thats what I thought, especially with the eye quote and the moonstone shining...Bloodraven seems like such a bad ass, I hope we get more about him in the World Book.

I just love the whole backstory and origins of the green-apple fossoways. HK is the best of the three imo. Btw, did any of you read the graphic novellas? Are they worth a buy? I'm normally not a comic book reader, but i think they might be cool to have for a asoiaf fan.

Yeah, thats what I thought, especially with the eye quote and the moonstone shining...Bloodraven seems like such a bad ass, I hope we get more about him in the World Book.

I think the fact that he knows about the "boot" strongly suggests that he is Bloodraven. That was my first thought because when he helps Dunk up at the well Dunk asks where Egg is:
"With the gods. And you will know why, I think."

The pain that twisted inside Dunk just then made him forget his arm. He groaned. "He tried to use the boot."

"So I surmise. He showed the ring to Maester Lothar, who delivered him to Butterwell, who no doubt pissed his breeches at the sight of it and started wondering if he had chosen the wrong side and how much Bloodraven knows of this conspiracy. The answer to that last is 'quite a lot.' " Plumm chuckled.

Notice Dunk just says boot, but Plumm says ring, suggesting that he already knows who they are. This is why I can't buy into the Bloodraven's a bad guy theories in the novels he just doesn't fit the bad guy profile.

I just love the whole backstory and origins of the green-apple fossoways. HK is the best of the three imo. Btw, did any of you read the graphic novellas? Are they worth a buy? I'm normally not a comic book reader, but i think they might be cool to have for a asoiaf fan.

I own the graphic novels and I love them. They are kinda short though like 31 pages each. I just really like that they are able to draw the characters how they are supposed to look. You know with the silver hair and purple eyes and what not. I have them on my Nook tablet though.

I think Bloodraven is the best character to come out of it. He knows he isn't liked, but he doesn't care. He plays up his role and makes a few examples, but has the realm's interest at heart and is truly loyal. He's also no fool.

Word.

Bloodraven is pretty amazing, especially when he's undercover as a common hedge knight. I would love to see that BR interacting with and teaching Bran...

Word.

Bloodraven is pretty amazing, especially when he's undercover as a common hedge knight. I would love to see that BR interacting with and teaching Bran...

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping that his imprisonment under Maekar is actually just a cover so he can show up as Plumm in more novellas. I'd hate for him to be just a one book character. I loved the part where he's telling Dunk about Little Walder catching his sister and the scullion floured up from head to heel on the marble slab in the kitchen.

Love Dunk & Egg. Definitely a lot a good stuff there. And I was suprised about the things I missed the first time through, mostly in the Mystery Knight. That Plumm was Bloodraven went over my head, as did Daemon being gay. I know people say the Renly and Loras relationship was obvious but now I have to wonder whether or not I would've picked up on that if I hadn't seen the show first.

There's also supposedly a hint in there who Daemon's mother was, but I still can't figure that one out.

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping that his imprisonment under Maekar is actually just a cover so he can show up as Plumm in more novellas. I'd hate for him to be just a one book character. I loved the part where he's telling Dunk about Little Walder catching his sister and the scullion floured up from head to heel on the marble slab in the kitchen.

I agree, I hope we see more of BR in this incarnation. I loved him here, you get the sense of his charisma and considerable intelligence that had Shiera. Juxtapose that with him as part-tree in ADWD, wistful and dying.

Totally missed Plumm=Bloodraven. Makes sense now that I think about it. This thread is all sorts of awesome.

I'm starting to think quite a few missed that. I like the fact that when they first meet him they are camping out in a grove of Weirwood stumps, then when Dunk enters the hall at Whitewalls he notes that the rafters are each made from Weirwood trunks, considering where Bloodraven ends up it makes you wonder if he wasn't gunning for Butterbutt just for that. :)

I'm starting to think quite a few missed that. I like the fact that when they first meet him they are camping out in a grove of Weirwood stumps, then when Dunk enters the hall at Whitewalls he notes that the rafters are each made from Weirwood trunks, considering where Bloodraven ends up it makes you wonder if he wasn't gunning for Butterbutt just for that. :)

Haha he might have been. What do you make of the last time when we see him, where he and Egg have the exchange and Egg says "You know who I am, cousin." I think Bloodraven smiles and agrees but I was wondering if it's just a little hat tip to the readers since we know Egg becomes king or if Bloodraven may indeed know that Egg will be king.

Haha he might have been. What do you make of the last time when we see him, where he and Egg have the exchange and Egg says "You know who I am, cousin." I think Bloodraven smiles and agrees but I was wondering if it's just a little hat tip to the readers since we know Egg becomes king or if Bloodraven may indeed know that Egg will be king.

I think Bloodraven could know, because he could possess the Targ dreams too. I think that Dunk may become a KG in between The Mystery Knight and The Shewolves of Winterfell because Bloodraven points out that Daemon II's dream is actually Egg hatching into a true Targ, that same dream saw Dunk being cloaked in white. But that could also just be symbolism for the fact that Dunk is now the protector of a Targaryen while at the same time Egg is still his squire. And bringing three members of the KG to Whitehalls would be a bit of overkill considering the army he brought with him, so why bring them at all if not for Dunk.

I think Bloodraven could know, because he could possess the Targ dreams too. I think that Dunk may become a KG in between The Mystery Knight and The Shewolves of Winterfell because Bloodraven points out that Daemon II's dream is actually Egg hatching into a true Targ, that same dream saw Dunk being cloaked in white. But that could also just be symbolism for the fact that Dunk is now the protector of a Targaryen while at the same time Egg is still his squire. And bringing three members of the KG to Whitehalls would be a bit of overkill considering the army he brought with him, so why bring them at all if not for Dunk.

Interesting. I always assumed it was Egg who made Dunk a Kingsguard. Maybe the Kingsguard was there to size Duncan up?

The thing that makes the identification of Ser Maynard a lock is the repetition of the phrase "nest of adders", the first time by our alleged hedge Knight when he is fixing Dunk's wound, the second time by Bloodraven at the end of TMK.

Archived