Would Lyanna have married Robert if she hadn't met Rhaegar?

Ice Turtle

Yes my argument is the dumb one, because I feel striking your partner in the face several times in the face is abuse. How could I not see the logic that, because Cersei is smaller it's not really abuse.

I think that the point is that, while it is certainly an unhealthy relationship, Jaime does not fear or object to her slaps, nor does he try to avoid provoking them them or is cowed by them - and this is a great deal to do with the fact that he is physically stronger.

Another AFfC quote:

"Think about this." Cersei slapped his face.

Jaime made no attempt to block the blow. "I see I need a thicker beard, to cushion me against my queen's caresses." He wanted to to rip her gown off and turn her blows into kisses. He had done it before, back when he had two good hands.

I think that the point is that, while it is certainly an unhealthy relationship, Jaime does not fear or object to her slaps, nor does he try to avoid provoking them them or is cowed by them - and this is a great deal to do with the fact that he is physically stronger.

Another AFfC quote:

Jaime does try and protect himself, the first time, but his hand is missing. Another time he ducks to avoid being hit with a cup. Being stronger helps, but at the end of the day she is still lashing out and causing physical damage every time he annoys her. I am genuinely surprised some people deny this is domestic violence.

• 2 weeks later...

Jaime does try and protect himself, the first time, but his hand is missing. Another time he ducks to avoid being hit with a cup. Being stronger helps, but at the end of the day she is still lashing out and causing physical damage every time he annoys her. I am genuinely surprised some people deny this is domestic violence.

I agree with u, dude. I'm a girl and I think the whole argument because were smaller and weaker its not abuse is bull. I know of a woman who abused her husband. 5,2 and she beat the crap out of a 6, something man. He didn't fight back because he knew he COULD hurt her, but he didn't want to hurt her like she hurt him. She even threatened him with a knife. The man was scared to death for her, but didn't say anything because he was ashamed. I don't the details of what proked these attacks, if anything, but it just proved the point that abusers come in all shapes and sizes.

On a side note: none of us know Lyanna very well, or what Robert was like pre-Iron Throne, all we have is comparisons between Lyanna and her nine year old niece who is not her carbon copy and Ned's accounts of a young Robert before he got the throne. There is no way of telling what kind of people they really were because we will never get a POV of them and they're both dead, and we will never know how things would have worked out between them without Rhaegar.

Hell, none of us are even sure if Lyanna went with Rhaegar willingly.

I say we should leave these questions as they are, unanswered. What could have been will only lead to a lot of heartache and headaches.

I agree with u, dude. I'm a girl and I think the whole argument because were smaller and weaker its not abuse is bull. I know of a woman who abused her husband. 5,2 and she beat the crap out of a 6, something man. He didn't fight back because he knew he COULD hurt her, but he didn't want to hurt her like she hurt him. She even threatened him with a knife. The man was scared to death for her, but didn't say anything because he was ashamed. I don't the details of what proked these attacks, if anything, but it just proved the point that abusers come in all shapes and sizes.

I do agree with this, but nonetheless "The man was scared to death for (of?) her, but didn't say anything because he was ashamed" really does not match Jaime.

He seems, while this unhealthy relationship was still ongoing, to have often replied to her violence by subduing her and initiating sex (indeed he appears generally to have been a distinctly violent and aggressive lover, as in the sept in ASoS). Where her continuing to attack him after the relationship had ended would have led is another question, but I don't see him becoming in any way cowed by it.

I do agree with this, but nonetheless "The man was scared to death for (of?) her, but didn't say anything because he was ashamed" really does not match Jaime.

He seems, while this unhealthy relationship was still ongoing, to have often replied to her violence by subduing her and initiating sex (indeed he appears generally to have been a distinctly violent and aggressive lover, as in the sept in ASoS). Where her continuing to attack him after the relationship had ended would have led is another question, but I don't see him becoming in any way cowed by it.

I was just giving an example of a real life female on male abusive relationship. I didn't intend for it to directly parallel any couple in the books. Only show that women can be abusive too.

Archived