Studying history, we do a section called 'What Ifs'

Irelands Gemstone

It is a pretty small section, I study ancient history for OCR. We were given a detailed assignment to write a 'what if' of Ancient Athenian democracy for 15% of the total assessment, the entire assessment is worth 25% of the exam itself.

It got me thinking, seeing as it was quite a bit of fun - yes, I know, I enjoy history assignments, sad :( - point being, why not start a topic for a few what ifs?

Just ask a what if question, and hopefully people below will comment on what they thought would have happened, It might drop like a bag of spuds, but worth a shot.

Didn't the COTF have a plan to use the same magic they used to break The Arm to bring down the waters of The Neck and flood it making The North into an island? How about that? Would the North eventually be overrun by the Wildlings and/or the Others?

Where did you study history? I just graduated with History/English Lit degree and we didn't discuss counterfactual history much but any time we did it was normally about its futility and pointlessness. I am interested to know what sort of institution has such a different view?

Eta - obv not trying to say my Uni is right and yours is wrong just interested to know where it is that counterfactual history is still valued? Also might be because you study ancient history and I studied more modern stuff

What if the first men beat back the andals

Assuming the Andals got completely kicked out of Westeros, as unlikely as that might be, then:

1) The Andals and the Faith of the Seven would either not exist in the present at all or only in small regions of Essos, because of Valyria. Though considering how expansionist the Faith of the Seven is, it could have ended up as the dominant religion of the Valyrian Empire, which in turn might have abolished slavery in the empire, and thus in turn prevent the Doom of Valyria

2) Westeros would continue to be divided by many First Men kingdoms, who could more strongly trace their descent to the great heroes like Bran the Builder, Garth Greenhand, Lann the Clever etc. The COTF would still be around, and quite a few wargs as well. Extincts houses like the Mudds would still be around, too. So if the Valyrians ever turned their eyes upon Westeros, it would make for a very interesting war.

Here is mine: What if Daemon Blackfyre had won the Iron Throne?

I always wonder what would of been if Daemon Blackfyre won the Blackfyre Rebellion. I just get a feeling that was the war that started the downfall of Westeros. Would there be hope against the others now? Because I would of guessed Daemon and Bittersteel would of put him to death. Without Bloodraven, would there be a 3 eye crow? I always thought Bloodraven wanted to go to the wall because he had visions like Bran and it was his destiny. So, if he had died...westeros might of never had a fighting chance to begin with.

Also, what would of been if Baelor Breakspear survived Dunk's trial by combat? Both him and Daemon seemed to of had that coin flip to the greatness side but died way to soon. Like Rhaegar.

Lastly, what if the mad king was never held hostage in duskendale? Would he of still gone mad and been paranoid?

What if Robb had kept it in his pants?

I have a feeling he still would have lost the war. Although maybe it wouldn't have happened in the same way (i.e. the red wedding probably wouldn't have happened) Tywin was smarter than Robb stark: he was a strategist and I think it is kind of well known that in the game of thrones, you have to be ruthless and cunning as well, which I don't think the starks are. Also, the boltons seem like opportunists to me, they would have betrayed Robb sooner or later.

I have a feeling he still would have lost the war. Although maybe it wouldn't have happened in the same way (i.e. the red wedding probably wouldn't have happened) Tywin was smarter than Robb stark: he was a strategist and I think it is kind of well known that in the game of thrones, you have to be ruthless and cunning as well, which I don't think the starks are. Also, the boltons seem like opportunists to me, they would have betrayed Robb sooner or later.

I got to disagree with this. Tywin was getting more and more worried the longer the war was going on. Walder Frey would have joined Robb and Bolton would not leave the winning side for no reason, let alone that he too is joined to Walder Frey by marriage. I think Robb had the war in the bag if he just kept his cock and emotions in check long enough to eventually beat Tywin to surrender.

I got to disagree with this. Tywin was getting more and more worried the longer the war was going on. Walder Frey would have joined Robb and Bolton would not leave the winning side for no reason, let alone that he too is joined to Walder Frey by marriage. I think Robb had the war in the bag if he just kept his cock and emotions in check long enough to eventually beat Tywin to surrender.

Tywin wasn't worried because he wasn't losing the war. Yes, he was losing battles because Robb was a good battle commander and tactician. However, Tywin was a strategist and was winning in the long run. Remember, he gets the Tyrells, the Martells on the side of the iron throne, I don't think it would be difficult getting the Boltons as well. Marrying Jeyne wasn't robb's only error - he executed Rickard Karstark, sending home half his army. I just can't imagine someone like this winning against a seasoned politician like Tywin lannister.

Many dothraki screamers wreaking havoc on the smallfolk.

I've like to know how they'd stand up to heavy cavalry. Maybe an expert could shed some light on that age old question...

Dothraki versus heavy cavalry would be a 50/50 crap shoot in my opinion. If the Dothraki do a full frontal charge they will be massacred, however if they use hit and run tactics instead then most likely the heavy cavalry is doomed, if the Dothraki arrows can pierce Plate and chainmail that is.Im no expert but Ancient History is my major as well especially European and Middle Eastern.

What is Stannis told Ned what he knew about the lineage of "Robert's" children?

It's a nice day for a white wedding!

Between Robert Baratheon and Margaery Tyrell, with the burning wreckage of Lannisport making for a unforgettable honeymoon.

What if Balon said Yes to Robb's proposal?

It's a nice day for a white wedding!

Between Robert Baratheon and Margaery Tyrell, with the burning wreckage of Lannisport making for a unforgettable honeymoon.

What if Balon said Yes to Robb's proposal?

If Balon said yes then The North wins simple as that. Balon would strike Lannisport and Casterly Rock as well as Oldtown and Highgarden if taking Casterly Rock isnt enough. The North and the Iron Islands would force Tywin into surrender.

If Balon said yes then The North wins simple as that. Balon would strike Lannisport and Casterly Rock as well as Oldtown and Highgarden if taking Casterly Rock isnt enough. The North and the Iron Islands would force Tywin into surrender.

They might have been able to sack Lannisport, but no way in hell could they take Casterly Rock.

Archived