Will any POV characters not have POVs anymore?

Theon was a POV in ACOK, but wasn't there for the next two books. AFFC and ADWD skipped over a whole lot of POVs. So, will this happen again in TWOW?

In Meereen we have a lot of POVs close by: Daenerys, Barristan, Victarion, Tyrion.

In the Stormlands, we'll have both Arianne and Jon Connington.

A lot of POVs are scattered throughout the North: Jon, Davos, Melisandre, Theon, Asha, Bran.

Jaime and Brienne are also together.

Then there are the locations with only one POV: Sansa, Sam, Arya, Areo, Aeron, Cersei

Martin joked that he had too many POV characters and would need to start killing some off. What also could be a solution is to cut some POVs without the death of the character, or just to divide the time spent in a location between POVs.

With which POVs could this be the case? I think Victarion or Barristan will die early on, and Jon Connington isn't immortal either. Given Jon Snow's situation, we might have to miss out on him.

Besides Barristan and Vic I think we will lose Aero and Aeron early too.

I'm afraid we won't see Jon Snow for some time.

Cersei will be done before the book ends but she won't go quietly.

We will see less of Brienne even if she won't die. But probably she will. Theon is even more likely to die.

One character who might lose POV without dying is Bran. He knows way too much.

Besides Barristan and Vic I think we will lose Aero and Aeron early too.

I'm afraid we won't see Jon Snow for some time.

Cersei will be done before the book ends but she won't go quietly.

We will see less of Brienne even if she won't die. But probably she will. Theon is even more likely to die.

One character who might lose POV without dying is Bran. He knows way too much.

I agree, but I think we're more likely to lose Bran in ADOS

And GRRM doesn't do the POV of a king... I wonder, if Jon is gonna be king/hero and all that, will we lose him even if he comes to life again? Same for Dany, now that I think of it.

We'll definitely lose Jon for a while, just to drag out the suspense a little longer ha. I think JonCon and Theon are gonna snuff it early in TWOW. Barristan might go as well. There's just too many POVs haha.

True, but this thread is about the characters who might stop being POVs without dying.

Jon Snow most likely, I can see him being resurrected but in any case, I think we've lost his POV. Otherwise, unless similar circumstances arise, I don't think POV characters will just be dropped; a lot will probably die, but others won't, and I think the idea is that in the end all the POVs converge in one place again. Didn't Martin say that the show started out with all the characters in one place, and will end in a similar fashion?

Asha because she's with Theon, Brienne because she's with Jaime. Jon Connington because Arianne is coming. Aeron Greyjoy gone, Aero Hotah gone. What has me excited is how man POVs will be around Daenerys since she has been alone since the beginning. Having 2 - 4 POVs (Daenerys, Tyrion, Barristan, and Victarion) around her will help her story move forward quickly.

Asha because she's with Theon, Brienne because she's with Jaime. Jon Connington because Arianne is coming. Aeron Greyjoy gone, Aero Hotah gone. What has me excited is how man POVs will be around Daenerys since she has been alone since the beginning. Having 2 - 4 POVs (Daenerys, Tyrion, Barristan, and Victarion) around her will help her story move forward quickly.

Just cause POVs are together doesn't mean one of them will drop their POV status. As I said earlier, the characters are slowly coming around to being all united again; that said, a substantial amount will probably die, which is a subject for other threads, but I don't think GRRM is in the habit of letting characters drop their POV status merely because they are with other, more important POV characters at the given moment. We got Areo, Arianne and Arys all covering a relatively minor subplot at the same time, didn't we?

Jon Snow most likely, I can see him being resurrected but in any case, I think we've lost his POV. Otherwise, unless similar circumstances arise, I don't think POV characters will just be dropped; a lot will probably die, but others won't, and I think the idea is that in the end all the POVs converge in one place again. Didn't Martin say that the show started out with all the characters in one place, and will end in a similar fashion?

He said that the story would begin and end at Winterfell, I believe. Maybe that's what you mean.

He said that the story would begin and end at Winterfell, I believe. Maybe that's what you mean.

Oh... well, my point stands that just cause characters are together doesn't mean one will drop his/her POV status. That's never happened before, and so the only person I can see dropping his POV status without actually dying (permanently) is Jon.

Oh... well, my point stands that just cause characters are together doesn't mean one will drop his/her POV status. That's never happened before, and so the only person I can see dropping his POV status without actually dying (permanently) is Jon.

I agree, but there's a possibility of it happenning, and thus this thread.

Is that the 'King's don't have POV' thing? I'm not convinced enough by that.

Is that the 'King's don't have POV' thing? I'm not convinced enough by that.

Not that... it's that I believe that if/when he's resurrected in some form, he'll be a very different character, and as with UnCat, I don't think we'll get his POV anymore.

Martin said he wanted to reunite the plot again in the sixth book so we will be able to read all the characters again. So far, some POVs are going to meet up soon while others are still isolated (it's ok as long as we're heading somewhere this time and the long and winding travelogues are almost over). I believe we're still going to read POVs from both the major and minor ones (none doesn't need to be drop unless one dies along the way). However, major POV chapters wont be as many as before, while minor POVs will only get a couple or so. POV like Brienne will only get a few, which is good. We get to read more about the viewpoint of Jaime - he wondering what's up with Brienne and where in hell she's taking him? That way, their journey is more suspenseful methinks.

Not that... it's that I believe that if/when he's resurrected in some form, he'll be a very different character, and as with UnCat, I don't think we'll get his POV anymore.

Plus, GRRM doesn't do undead POVs. If Jon's going down that direction, we won't see any more chapters from him.

Ok. Indulge me here. What if he's resurrected in another POV character?

Ok. Indulge me here. What if he's resurrected in another POV character?

You mean, through someone else's eyes, like Melisandre watching as he gets resurrected? Or do you mean his spirit is transferred/warged to another body? If the last, I don't think that would work. (Also, Varamyr conforms in ADWD prologue that you can't warg in your second life).

You mean, through someone else's eyes, like Melisandre watching as he gets resurrected? Or do you mean his spirit is transferred/warged to another body? If the last, I don't think that would work. (Also, Varamyr conforms in ADWD prologue that you can't warg in your second life).

I'm wondering if Melisandre or Bran or both could work something beyond Jon going into the big dog or if he could warg out the big dog into another character at the point they were dying.

I'm struggling with the Jon dies and goes into ghost assumption as I can't see where it can lead.

I'm wondering if Melisandre or Bran or both could work something beyond Jon going into the big dog or if he could warg out the big dog into another character at the point they were dying.

I'm struggling with the Jon dies and goes into ghost assumption as I can't see where it can lead.

I don't know where that would go either, but as Varamyr made clear, if Jon goes into Ghost because his own body is dead, he will not be able to warg anymore. His personality will mix with Ghost's, and he will slowly fade away.

But with Melisandre and Bran now both in positions of power, it's true tthat might be able to resurrect him.

Archived