If the Freys supported Robb, who would have ruled now?

ShadowRaven

Things would have gone pretty much as they did anyway. Robb would still have needed to go North to drive back the Ironborn and in the meantime the superior Lannister-Tyrell-Stormlands army would've steamrolled the Riverlands and been well established by the time Robb could turn back. So effectively a longer and more bloody war but with the same outcome.

Assuming Robbs plan was a success and he retakes Moat Callin afterall the Iron Fleet had left anyway and the rest of the books plots stay the same then Robb's first problem would be rooting the ironborn out of Deepwood Mott and Torrhen Square assuming Ramsay still burns Winterfell anyway as him being wanted for the death of Lady Hornwood makes it unlikely he'd be loyal then he'd need to rebuild Winterfell. Robb would have helped the watch as it falling would leave his kingdom vulnerable but I think Stannis would go to so they'd have to fight which Robb would win. So Stannis is dead Robb rules the north and the riverlands are undersiege by the Tyrells and the Lannisters but are in a much better position organisation wise than they are in Feast. I think unlike what happened in the books with Robb still around the bulk of the Tyrell's troops would be in the Riverlands and not at Storms End and attrition and battle would likely leave them considerably weaker for when the Ironborn and the Golden Company attack.

My belief then is the Tyrells will hold the throne but in a much weaker state than they are now, Stannis will be dead and Robb will rule the north only as with Winter upon them I can't see how he'll convince his bannermen to march south to again save the Riverlands.

Robb would hold the North (defend Moat Cailin), but lose the Riverlands. The South would be dominated by the Lannister- Tyrell alliance.

Of course there are many unanswered questions. Would Stannis still go to the Wall? Would Robb have to ride North to fight the threat Stannis forces and the Wildlings he let through present? Would Joffrey's and Tywin's deaths be butterflied away or not? Would the Greyjoys make the same choices with Robb around?

The Riverlands is exposed and was ravaged by the war, since Robb really didn't give a damn about the people of the Riverlands and their farms. Famine was pretty clearly widespread, and only a few areas - Seagard, and likely the lands near Riverrun and the Twins, were just lightly touched. There is simply no way for the Tullies to hold out against the combined might of the Reach and the Westerlands.

Robb would have ditched for the North to fight the Greyjoys, and the Tullies would have eventually given in to the Royal Forces (as they did anyways). Even Robb's battered forces would be large enough to deal with the Ironborn and the Boltons, I have no doubt. Stannis as well, if Stannis chose to fight Robb. If Stannis decided to bend instead of break, he would strike a deal with Robb - probably the same sort of deal Renly struck with Cat (Robb gets to remain "King" as a ceremonial title, like how the Martells are still "Princes"), and helps defend the Wall.

The Riverlands were always going to be neigh impossible to hold for Robb even with the support of the Freys he would still be alive and probably in the North dealing with the Iron born.

stannis would go to the wall and thats when it actually cooks up, regardless of anything Stannis goes North cause of Melisandre.

stannis would go to the wall and thats when it actually cooks up, regardless of anything Stannis goes North cause of Melisandre.

If he came to try and take Winterfell with the Starks still in it,I don't know tough luck for Stannis then.

Btw Sansa would still be at the Capital and Arya probably ransomed from the Hound.

If the red wedding did not happen, you mean, the North would be under Robb's control, Rickon would be back by Now. Jon would be more secure as LC and " Et to Brute" might not have happened. Stannis though might come to blows with Robb or Stannis would go to him a bit more humble or Mel would produce another shadow baby for Robb. The Riverlands would be preparing for an invasion by Tyrells and Lannisters but no Tywin or Kevan or Joff. Sansa would be up in the air. yeah, Robb's death and the red wedding in general totally changed half of the entire series in one grizzly chapter.

technically the starks ruling and the lannisters/tyrells ruling arent mutally exculsive as robb was the king in the north, anyways...

although robb looked destined to lose the war at the time of the RW, had he survived until aFfC time, he may well have been for a change in fortunes. He probably would have taken Moat Cailin, given the sorry state of the garrison there which we see in aDwD and march north and clear the north of the ironbornby the end of aFfC or the first half of aDwD. Meanwhile things would have proceeded probably much as they did in the riverlands in the real timeline, maybe things would be slightly harder for the IT as most riverland bannermen may well have not turned there cloaks had robb still been alive and tywin dead. At this point things get a bit more difficult to predict as Robb has three choices

a ) go south to take back the riverlands, would be highly difficult against all the men the tyrells have, but would be the honourable thing to do

b ) stay in winterfell and settle down for winter, reinforcing the neck against invasion

c ) if he hears of the problems at the wall, march north to protect the north from the others

B is probably his best choice tactically, as the only fleet able to make a landing of sufficient men in the north and defeat the manderly fleet, is the Redwyne fleet which would doubtless be preoccupied at dragonstone, and then in the reach itself. The small royal fleet would evaporate as Aurane Waters set sail out of KL after Cersei's capture. Robb might actually have been in for an even greater stroke of luck in the coming times as the lannister-tyrell alliance looks likely to break to

I think Robb would have bent the knee to stannis sooner or later. That's what Ned would have done.

Why would Robb bend the knee to Stannis? Without the betrayal of the Walder frey and Roose Bolton he would have much more swords than Stannis.

Why would Robb bend the knee to Stannis? Without the betrayal of the Walder frey and Roose Bolton he would have much more swords than Stannis.

He would bend the knee because Stannis is the king by rights. It would be the honorable thing to do. Even Ned realized stannis was the king by rights and would have supported him as king. Also, Stannis and Robb would have been natural allies with their hatred for the Lannisters. Stannis might not agree to let the north keep their independence, granted, but Im sure he would have made Robb Warden of the North. Its makes sense to me at least.

I think Robb would have bent the knee to stannis sooner or later. That's what Ned would have done.

But Robb isn't Ned and, unlike Ned, he has a crown over his head. Why is he going to believe Stannis' tale of incest and bend to the guy with 1/10th of his men?

At best, he can accept that Stannis is the rightful King in the South, and might be willing to cede him the lands south of the Green Fork, if Stannis can conquer/liberate them. But he has no reason to surrender the Kingdom of the North to a southron with 2,000 men.

But Robb isn't Ned and, unlike Ned, he has a crown over his head. Why is he going to believe Stannis' tale of incest and bend to the guy with 1/10th of his men?

At best, he can accept that Stannis is the rightful King in the South, and might be willing to cede him the lands south of the Green Fork, if Stannis can conquer/liberate them. But he has no reason to surrender the Kingdom of the North to a southron with 2,000 men.

You're right that Robb isn't Ned, but they are a lot alike in that they both have a desire to be honorable, he is his fathers son after all. Difference is Ned wouldn't have accepted the crown if it was thrust upon him to begin with. Robb is just a boy after all and cant be blamed for accepting the crown. Why wouldn't Robb believe that Joffery isn't a child of incest? Its makes Joffery and the Lannisters claim to the IT false, which could only help Robb and his cause. I can imagine a scenario where Robb and Stannis are working together to bring justice to the realm. However I don't see Stannis allowing the north to keep their independence, but I belive they could work something out without bloodshed. I think that Robb desires justice and his sisters back more than independence for the north. The Starks keeping Winterfell and being Wardens of the North, along with a grateful Stannis sitting on the IT sounds like a pretty good deal to me (With Lannister heads rotting on pikes on the walls of the Red Keep ofcorse).

Archived