the REAL iron throne

AegonSnow

Or Tommen maybe

Makes sense more now that Targaryen Kings have died from the Throne.

Judging by the sword, the nasty facial expression, the teenage body shape and size, and the generally evil demeanour, I'd say that's Joff.

That's certainly the image of the throne I'll be using from now on. I always used to imagine a throne that looked similar to the one in the show but more melted and fused together (in the show you can see the hilts of each individual blade), and with more spikes poking into your back.

I wonder why Martin never actually described that the throne was 20 feet high?

I really like this one. Even more so because GRRM says that's what he pictures the Iron Throne as. In the blog he says it still needs a bit of polishing, but it still looks great.

I do like the HBO version, but this one is more what the IT should be. A huge throne made of twisted swords that's uncomfortable to sit in.

Now this is IT. There's some fan art around and some depicted iron thrones are way better than the HBO version. I always felt that IT wasn't made special enough in HBO version but then again, very few things are and it's of course understandable considering set limitations such as cost.

The Simonetti version of IT: I'm trying to imagine crippled Ned climbing over there and back...

The Simonetti version of IT: I'm trying to imagine crippled Ned climbing over there and back...

Yeah, I was just thinking it would have been hard for Ned to climb 20-21? of those steps with a broken leg.

the hbo version looks pretty cool if i'm honest and that is much more fitting for the tv show cos lets be honest if they really made that thing it'd cos loads of money, be a bit of a health and safety hazard, and it looks a bit to fantasy like for tv imo. Still this is probably looking more badass than that

i agree the HBO iron throne fits the HBO 'asoiaf world' which is more realistic in its depiction. example, the Boltons don't even wear pink :laugh:

but its nice to know that GRRM has give us the picture that we should 'picture' in our head when we read the books, the real iron throne.

That's what a throne made of thousands of swords should look like. Terrifying and monstrous - I can certainly imagine how Maegor the Cruel could have been killed on that thing. HBO's show version is good too, but it hardly fits the description of the Iron Throne in the books.

The king at that height looking over the court looks more like a god or an emperor than a mere monarch. Still, both of the linked pictures there are pretty badass.

No way in hell they'd make it that huge for the show. Can you imagine if an actor or stagehand tripped going down?

That would only add to the IT's authenticity in that it proves to be a mortal danger when careless.

I have been disappointed in movie props of fantasy book objects too many times before to be disappointed in the show IT. Compared to Harry Potter's invisibility cloak and the sword of Godric Gryffindor, or Bilbo Baggin's mithrill coat and every single sword in LOTR, the show IT is less of a disappointment. I get it that some fantasy objects can be impossible and/or a health and safety danger to create IRL, so I'll just keep imagining the IT as GRRM intends it and overlook the ridiculously symmetrical curvy back and the overall armchair shape of the show IT. At least the actors must be relatively comfortable.

I just hope they get (the true) Lightbringer right, if it's a sword at all.

Judging by the sword, the nasty facial expression, the teenage body shape and size, and the generally evil demeanour, I'd say that's Joff.

No, it's Aegon I, since the TWOIAF is going to be mostly about the Targ reign. The crown is simple, unlike Joffrey's and if you look closely the legs are big as well. Also on the floor tiles there are Targ dragons and the sword could be Blackfyre.

"I want to sit on the Iron Throne," he told her. "You always let Joff sit up there."

thanks i appreciate it (i'm fasting right now so my brain isn't working right and i can't remember things i would remember usually )

GRRM should have described the Iron Throne as a "towering monstrosity" or something, I was always confused by the descriptions of Ned sitting high on the throne and how he could see above everyone's heads to the other side of the "cavernous" throne room to the entrance. I didn't know the stairs were part of the throne itself, I finally came to the conclusion that the throne was sitting on a very tall dais or something. I also found it hard to believe that anyone could die on the throne, that picture really clears things up, now I'm surprised it didn't take more lives. :P Can you imagine all those violent and mad kings sitting on that thing? it's the perfect seat for violent and mad kings like Maegor, Aerys and Joffrey, though it seems to dark and sinister for the peaceful kings like Jaehaerys and Daeron, they must have felt so out of place.

After seeing that monstrosity the show's Iron Throne just looks weaksauce.

Yeah, it doesn't look like a throne for a conqueror to me anymore.

the hbo version looks pretty cool if i'm honest and that is much more fitting for the tv show cos lets be honest if they really made that thing it'd cos loads of money, be a bit of a health and safety hazard, and it looks a bit to fantasy like for tv imo. Still this is probably looking more badass than that

The replica of the IT costs $30000 alone. If the show made a throne like that, there won't be dragons or nekkid chicks for two seasons.

I said it on the other thread and I'll say it again on this one. That is a throne worth fighting for.

And worth the long line to have a pix on it.

Archived