Robb's TV strategy with Book Numbers

JamesTruwood

Robb's strategy after Karstark's beheading (according to the TV series, episode 5 around 48 mins) is to unify his forces by giving them a purpose, taking Casterly Rock and holding it against Tywin and possibly using it to sue for peace or terms that were acceptable..or something like that. Someone fill me in what taking the Rock could accomplish other than keeping Robb still or abandoning the Rock. Either way, this would happen after Hoster Tully's funeral. Bolton has his 10 000 men at Harrenhal, Robb has his 3500ish Riders (that number includes some of Edmure's lord's retinues). Edmure himself could manage, say the same at Stone Mill, 3000 Horse and 8000 Foot. Against this the 20 000 (probably less) of Tywin, the 50-70 000 Stormlanders and Reachmen. Could Robb of taken the Rock, and if so, what would that accomplish?

Edit: Bolton stays loyal and Robb gets the Frey 1000 horse and 3500 foot back (less 500 kept at the Twins and northmen rejected from the residence as a slight to Robb)

The rock, in the books, is described as an immense and powerful castle, and that Robb with his 3500 men and 1000 Frey horse couldn't take it OR lannisport, meaning they have a powerful garrison. I doubt it that's easy as simply marching up and storming it.

Casterly Rock has to be lightly garrisoned after most of the Lannister troops went with Tywin, Jaime, and Stefford. I think Robb could probably take it. After that it is unclear, supposedly the Rock has never fallen, so if Robb had around 15,000K men that would be a formidable defense. But the Tyrells/Lannisters could lay siege to Robb and eventually win out if they were patient

They wouldn't need to be patient. either Robb takes grievous losses storming it, or loses precious time laying siege. And he either leaves Edmure's army behind or the riverlands undefended. With the Redwyne Fleet, it's storm's end all over, but without Ned to save the day.

I think the best idea is have Edmure march with him, and leave Tytos Blackwood and Jason Mallister hold the Trident, have Roose's and Freys levies along with a small Riverlord levy march to the Rock, and sack it, throw the gold in the sea, Whats that, maybe 5000 Horse and 14000 Foot? Good enough to sack the Rock or at least empty the Lannister Coffers before they get to him, and then hijack Lannisport ships to go north and retake Deepwood Mote, and then 15 days to Winterfell.

I think the best idea is have Edmure march with him, and leave Tytos Blackwood and Jason Mallister hold the Trident, have Roose's and Freys levies along with a small Riverlord levy march to the Rock, and sack it, throw the gold in the sea, Whats that, maybe 5000 Horse and 14000 Foot? Good enough to sack the Rock or at least empty the Lannister Coffers before they get to him, and then hijack Lannisport ships to go north and retake Deepwood Mote, and then 15 days to Winterfell.

He would lose half the army trying to storm the walls of the Rock alone.

Or he'd full a Robb, and find a way in like those sewer pipes everyone goes on about. Tywin wasn't marchning to the New Year, he could of been at the Rock by or shortly after then.

I doubt anyone but Tyrion knew about the pipes in and out of the Rock.

Robb's strategy after Karstark's beheading (according to the TV series, episode 5 around 48 mins) is to unify his forces by giving them a purpose, taking Casterly Rock and holding it against Tywin and possibly using it to sue for peace or terms that were acceptable..or something like that. Someone fill me in what taking the Rock could accomplish other than keeping Robb still or abandoning the Rock. Either way, this would happen after Hoster Tully's funeral. Bolton has his 10 000 men at Harrenhal, Robb has his 3500ish Riders (that number includes some of Edmure's lord's retinues). Edmure himself could manage, say the same at Stone Mill, 3000 Horse and 8000 Foot. Against this the 20 000 (probably less) of Tywin, the 50-70 000 Stormlanders and Reachmen. Could Robb of taken the Rock, and if so, what would that accomplish?

Edit: Bolton stays loyal and Robb gets the Frey 1000 horse and 3500 foot back (less 500 kept at the Twins and northmen rejected from the residence as a slight to Robb)

The answer is no and they did a horrible disservice to the young wolf by not including his brilliant strategy for taking moat calailin through using his friendship with the reeds

I doubt Robb could take the Rock. If he collected all his men(~25k) then maybe he could storm it, provided the Rock has a small garrison, but he'd lose half of his men - and taking all his men to CR would leave the Riverlands unguarded with Tywin still there(this could result in Tywin either swiftly marching unopposed to the west and taking Robb in the rear or Tywin taking Riverrun and cutting off Robb's retreat from the west). This is why Robb needed the GreyJoys - if the IronFleet attacked the rock from the sea and Robb(with only half his army) attacked it from land then he might have taken it with far fewer losses - Edmure could stop Tywin at the stone mill and make sure Tywin does not attack Robb while he is busy storming the Rock.

Balon GreyJoy screwed up a genius plan. If the Rock falls then Lannister power ends - The Tyrells would never join the losing side and with the Rock in Robb's hands it is pretty clear which side is losing.

I don't think Robb's forces could have taken Casterly Rock. Most of what he took west with him was cavalry, which was great for counter-raiding, but not ideal for the siege of the Lannister base of power. He would have been best served by continuing his strategy to draw Tywin's forces to the west while laying a trap for them.

Archived