What is Your Most Crackpot Theory v5

Mel will be the one to confirm R+L = J. She will see it in the flames somehow, and will then realize she has to revive Jon because he has King's Blood that she can use later on.

Rhaegar has no connection to Jon's life. Him being his father will have no real impact in his life. There's no realistic, non-cliche way that Jon ends up on the Iron Throne as the all-loved King Charming. Just not George's style. Rhaegar has had no narrative presence in Jon's life.

"Jon, your father was Rhaegar Targaryen."

"...Oh...okay..."

But if it was Mance then it deepens his connection to the Free Folk and gives us a reason for Mance still being alive. Also, it gives more depth to Bael the Bard who eventually had to battle his own son.

The Free Folk follow deeds, not the lineage. But Mance Rayder's name still carries a lot of weight with the wildlings. Jon has also done quite a bit to earn their love and respect as well. Jon Snow IS the North; Stark and wildling both.

Mance being Jon's father changes a whole lot; and firmly thrusts Jon up as King in the North, something much more likely considering his plot arc. He has had no connection to the south or the things related to the Iron Throne. It doesn't make sense for Jon to be a Targaryen.

Plus...it seems like George WANTS us to think Rhaegar and Lyanna. Its somewhat obvious all the hints from Ned's perspective in AGOT. Therefor, I interject that R+L is not the case because it is too simple and straight forward.

There was a black brother at Harrenhall. We get the full details of Bael's story. It seems to me that Mance may have dug Lyanna's buried treasure before her abduction by Rheagar.

Lyanna is worried about Robert being faithful, therefore it seems unlikely she'd go for the married Rhaegar. But Mance has some of the same qualities that we'd see in Rhaegar. He's a born leader, a singer and composer, strong personality, inspires trust and faithfulness, etc. But he's also of the North and had an attraction to the wilder type of woman, something like Lyanna is purported to be.

Mance and Lyanna hit it off. Knight of the Laughing Tree goes down. Aerys names the knight an enemy, Rhaegar is sent to hunt this person down. He finds that Lyanna matches some of the characteristics from the prophecy in the Song of Ice and Fire, he tracks her down and abducts her. She is pregnant with Mance's child. Tower of Joy. Ruby Ford. Bed of blood. Ned suddenly has a bastard.

Its only crackpot because we don't have enough information.

Mance being the father also gives us a reason to spare Mance from Mel's fires...from a narrative perspective. Has anyone ever been spared from what should have been certain death in this series? The only other one I can think of is Edric Storm and he was saved, not spared.

I think the idea of a secret second marriage with Lyanna and Rhaegar is as crackpot as you can get. What septon would perform the ceremony? How would this not get out? We know from Tyrion's past that secret marriages do not stay secret very long.

If Jon is Rhaegar's he's still a bastard and heir to nothing. If he is Mance's then he's still a bastard but it seems to be a tangibly different sort of bastardy. There are no bastards beyond the wall, not really. You're only a bastard in the world of kneelers because it keeps the inheritance straight. For the free folk you make your own name and destiny.

I like this alot

Does anyone theorise that Lyanna Stark could be alive? It seems vaguely possible that Ned saved her, promised to protect her baby, and helped her to go into hiding?.....Could she be Septa Lemore?

I don't really believe this, but is it impossible?

Benjen Stark is not lost North of the Wall. When Mance Rayder came to the feast at Winterfell, his intention was to speak to Benjen. Perhaps they had enough knowledge to piece together R+L=J. So after going on his latest ranging, Benjen used his ranger-y knowledge (as Mance is able to) to go around or through the Wall unnoticed. The reason no-one knows what happened to Benjen is they are looking on the wrong side of the Wall. Benjen is in fact missing South of the Wall and is in hiding somewhere in the Seven Kingdoms (Greywater Watch?), waiting to reveal R+L=J.

I was also thinking that if Mance spoke to Benjen it would be about something of importance to both the Free Folk and the Night's Watch, but I can't think of something that would fit with my crackpot idea of Benjen being South of the Wall. :P

Quite like the idea of benjen is not lost beyond the wall but in the south... Perhaps he is the hooded man of winterfell or maybe he is with howland reed an the blackfish plotting some sort of revolt or else they are jus having tea an a gossip :)

oh man, the thought of those 3 sitting around drinking tea and eating little sandwiches is amazing :lmao:

Rhaegar Targaryen didn't die on the Trident, he just temporarily passed out. He later turned up on the Quiet Isle after someone stripped him of his armor, and he now lives on as "the Elder Brother".

Yes and no. He didn't die, but on my opinion, he is The Darkstar. That's my biggest crackpot.

Yes and no. He didn't die, but on my opinion, he is The Darkstar. That's my biggest crackpot.

Darkstar is too young to be Rhaegar. Rhaegar was older than Brandon Stark. Darkstar is close to Arianne's age. Can't be him.

That Tyrion Lannister has known (or at least suspected) the entire time that Jon Snow is Rheagar's son... and that in a Game of Thrones he either told or discussed the possibility of this with Benjen and later Cmdr. Mormont.

I've never heard this one, any idea where it comes from? I can't recall any textual evidence to support this claim. To me it seems like a crackpot theory from way out in left field.

That Tyrion Lannister has known (or at least suspected) the entire time that Jon Snow is Rheagar's son... and that in a Game of Thrones he either told or discussed the possibility of this with Benjen and later Cmdr. Mormont.

I could see this happening. I had inklings as well but nothing in Tyrion's POV really supported it. He is observant though and does make friendly conversation to Jon sometimes offering him advice, and he does the same with Young Griff. Whether this advice is helpful, hurtful, deceitful, self serving etc is another matter entirely. I have a feeling that he already knew who Young Griff was prior to playing Cyvasse with the halfmaester. You have to know which questions to ask in order to get the answers you're looking for, which leads me to believe he knew or atleast suspected who YG was prior to making his wager with the halfmaester. If he could put together that information, I have a feeling he can put together who Jon is. If he hasn't figured it out yet, I'm sure he will. From stories, and events, etc. I think he already has some background knowledge he just doesn't have firm evidence.

Does anyone theorise that Lyanna Stark could be alive? It seems vaguely possible that Ned saved her, promised to protect her baby, and helped her to go into hiding?.....Could she be Septa Lemore?

I don't really believe this, but is it impossible?

Lyanna is Mormont's Raven sitting on Jon's shoulder :P

My own crackpot: Lyanna did not die giving birth to "Jon", Jon is older than he is portrayed in the books. This could support the Mance+Lyanna = Jon theory. I think Lyanna died in childbed, just not for the birth of Jon. Now, people say that Cat, or townsfolk etc would be able to tell of a significant age gap between Jon and Robb - and while this is true, I don't think the age gap is that significant. They could easily be two years apart and no one would really notice depending on their developmental skills. My basis for this? I have a son who just turned five, and another who is going to be three in September , and I cannot count the number of times I get asked "are they twins????". If Jon was a bit older than Robb (say a year) it's possible that if Robb was around 1 year old upon Ned bringing Jon back (making Robb somewhere around a year, and Jon somewhere around 2) complete stranger of Jon may not notice such a marginal/significant (depending on how you look at it) age gap. As my almost three and just turned five year old being mistaken for twins (since about the age of my youngest being about 18 months) I could see this happening. And speaking from my experience, as their mother I would never look at them and think "they look like twins" but a LOT of strangers do.

Archived