Dose it really matter if Aegon isn't a Targaryen?

The Taxman

:agree: I think that if we find out he's fake, the company and Tyrion will drop it if it becomes public that he's a fake.

Ah, but how does something like that become public? Eddard Stark figured out Joffrey's parentage using hair color. Aegon has the "right" hair color. What's left? Gregor Clegane detailing how a switch could not possibly have occurred? That ain't happening. I think the question of Aegon's true parentage is going to remain without definitive proof, except for the subtle hints for the readers. And frankly, that lack of proof might cause more division and destruction than certainty either way. If he could be proven to Rhaegar's son, Dorne, the Crownlands, half the Reach, and Dany herself would back him outright. and much of the realm would follow in the desire for a strong leadership and an alternative to the rapidly waning Lannisters. If he's proven to be false, the Realm would unite in deposing him. The ambiguity though... means division and fighting.

He could also be the son of a Pentosi whore.

And it matters if you're into prophecies.

Anyway, I think he's fake and that he will eventually lose. I don't like Dany at all and I don't want her to win, but I'd be even more pissed off if the true heir and hero appeared so late in the story. Specially after I had to put up with all those boring Dany chapters so she would die and give her dragons to this blue haired teenager. It makes no sense.

the true heir and hero has been in the story since the beginning. And he shall take his birthright with ice and fire

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it matters if he is a Targ or a Blackfyre or some peasant's child with the right eye and hair color, as long as Dany or her dragons don't manage to come to Westeros. If they do, it would certainly help his claim if the dragons will have him which maybe is more likely if he is a Targ or Blackfyre.

Power resides where people believe it resides. In-story, I don't think it will matter.

Precisely, fans can go on about how he can't possibly have the throne because he's a fake but in the end; how could anyone know?

A lot more interesting if a fake gets the throne instead of Jon or Dany anyway.

A) it shows the power of the game

B ) George won't end an anti-cliche series with a cliche

C) Aegon's claim is a lot more believable than Jon's

To Dany it will matter because she won't want any "mummer's dragon" taking her Throne, but in the GoT it won't matter. As long as he has people supporting him as a Targ (and as long as he thinks he's a Targ) he will have supporters to put Rhaegar and Elia's son on the Throne.

To Dany it will matter because she won't want any "mummer's dragon" taking her Throne, but in the GoT it won't matter. As long as he has people supporting him as a Targ (and as long as he thinks he's a Targ) he will have supporters to put Rhaegar and Elia's son on the Throne.

If he has supporters wouldn't Dany believe he's the real deal?

She'll remember the cloth dragon from the HOTU and being the "Slayer of Lies" she'll work out Aegon isn't who he says he is.

She can't even tell whose killing the Unsullied, I'm definitely not giving her any credit for detective skills.

Thoughts, to no one in particular...

1. Blackfyres are Targaryans, sort of. The line began as an affair between Aegon IV (the unworthy) and his first cousin Daena Targaryan, which resulted in the great bastard Daemon. Aegon IV preferred Deamon to his legitimate son Daeron, who was bookish compared to Daemon's "warrior" traits. Anyways, if blood matters, not legality, Blackfyres have just as much of old Valyria in them.

2. Being illegitimate has not proven an insurmountable obstacle to Joffrey and Tommen. Indeed, many still view the rumors as a nonsense power grab by Stannis, an excuse to legitimize his rebellion, as shown by Doran's willingness to betroth his son to Myrcella.

3. Still, Aegon's legitimacy is inevitably going to get a lot of scrutiny, since there doesn't seem much to differentiate him from someone with Valyrian features merely posing as a lost prince. Which is why Varys went through such trouble to destabilize the realm. Joffrey and Tommen had the benefit of being raised by Robert as his legitimate heirs.

As for number one, unless the post- Daemon Blackfyres married Essosi with pure Old Valyrian blood or continued the same inbreeding tradition of the Targaryens, their Valyrian blood would be thinner than that of the Targaryens, since the Targaryens continued marrying between themselves.

As for number one, unless the post- Daemon Blackfyres married Essosi with pure Old Valyrian blood or continued the same inbreeding tradition of the Targaryens, their Valyrian blood would be thinner than that of the Targaryens, since the Targaryens continued marrying between themselves.

I'm not so sure this is the case. We don't know anything about who Daemon Blackfyre fathered his sons with and whether or not they continued the tradition of incestuous marriage. We do know starting with Aegon the Unlikely, Targaryans married for love, not to keep the bloodlines pure. The only exception was Mad Aerys and his sister. So, there is almost an equal chance to "dilute" the bloodline for the Targaryens as for the Blackfyres.

I currently think Aegon is the son of Aerys and the woman who is posing as Septa Lemore, which makes him Dany's half brother. Alternately, my more crack-pot theory is that Aegon is the son of Brandon Stark and Ashara Dayne, which would ironically make him the heir to Winterfell if he were at any point legitimized. GRRM has reminded us on several occasions that sons trump brothers according to succession law, which would put any son of Brandon ahead of Ned or his own children.

Either way, the boy has pedigree and I think that if the people rally behind him and believe he is the prince who was promised, it really wouldn't matter that he isn't actually the son of Rheagar.

Except now there are dragons and that's the sticky wicket for Varys because if the dragons don't buy that Aegon is one of theirs, its pretty much curtains for his campaign.

Archived