What will be the "supernatural" event in the prologue and epilogue?

Perhaps a view from a brother of the Night's Watch witnessing a Other blowing the Horn of Joramun and the Wall start to crumble.

I like this one. I was thinking the wall would come down in the epilogue, but with only two books left, the plot needs to really pick up the pace. It seems to me that the wall HAS to come down, and waiting until the end of the book just makes Jon's story stand in one place. Doing it at the beginning when the cliffhanger for Jon from the previous book hasn't even been dealt with yet? Well that opens all sorts of doors.

Has anyone noticed that the books prologues are in a pattern?

Will - Nights Watch (Beyond the Wall) Book 1

Cressen - Maester from Oldtown Book 2

Chett - Nights Watch traitor (Beyond the Wall) Book 3

Pate - Novice from Oldtown Book 4

Varamyr - Wildling (Beyond the Wall) Book 5

So it goes Nights watch member - Nights watch traitor - and then wildling

Then Maester - Novice - so this one might be somebody traveling to Oldtown?

Or maybe its not really a pattern and just a coincidence.

It's more like north then south. GRRM could do anything as a prologue if he wanted though. It will probably be in the south.

Not all of the prologues have had supernatural events. ASoS had three horn blows but no supernatural event itself, and AFfC had no supernatural event at all (a poisoned coin is not supernatural). The only established pattern with prologues is that they alternate between stuff to do with the Others and maesters. So my prediction for the prologue is a maester in Storm's End witnessing Aegon taking the castle.

As for epilogues, only the ASoS epilogue could be considered supernatural, but even then we didn't get anything supernatural in the chapter itself. The ADwD epilogue wasn't supernatural in the slightest. Also, the established patter with the allocation of epilogues is that the books that get epilogues correspond to the books of the originally planned trilogy (AGoT-ASoS = book 1, AFfC-ADwD = book 2, and TWoW-ADoS (and possible 8th book) = book 3). So my prediction is that there will be no epilogue in TWoW.

As for ADoS, my predictions are:

prologue - someone witnessing the collapse of the Wall

epilogue - Bran (but he won't die at the end of it). He will see a bit of everyone's storyline, concluding multiple storylines in one chapter.

Yes, it seems to be a pattern that I've seen mentioned on these forums a few times.

Other commonalities are that the POV dies, there is a supernatural element, and it has a direct impact on the climax or theme of that book.

So if tWOW is going to be about the Wall coming down and the dragons getting to Westeros, then I would guess the prologue will be either a Maester or novice (not sure where) discovering useful information about either the Horn of Joramun or the Dragonhorn.

Then dying.

Yes, it seems to be a pattern that I've seen mentioned on these forums a few times.

Other commonalities are that the POV dies, there is a supernatural element, and it has a direct impact on the climax or theme of that book.

So if tWOW is going to be about the Wall coming down and the dragons getting to Westeros, then I would guess the prologue will be either a Maester or novice (not sure where) discovering useful information about either the Horn of Joramun or the Dragonhorn.

Then dying.

You just gave me an idea. Qyburn!

Archived