Ashara Dayne and Benjen Stark at the tourney of Harrenhall?

Shebara

I just red another thread of this forum (about people probably dead you want still alive) and came upon Benjen Stark, that we will learn eventually why he joined the Nightswatch.

I am asking myself if Benjen, who has been present at the Tourney of Harrenhall (see Jojens story) has been the Stark who caught Ashara Daynes eyes. In Barristans story he is only mentioned as Stark(no prename). The story of the seduction of Ashara Dayne and a hopeless love for her (we don t know yet what happened there exactly) could perhaps be the reason for Benjen to join the Nightswatch.

So..spinning a new crackpot theory....if Jon is NOT R+L ...could he be A+B?

Also Benjen didn't join the NW until he was an adult I believe. He mentions in GoT that 14 was too young to make that decision and I think it implies That he'd not been in the NW many years, he was well known to the kids and with the young Royce we know it doesn't take long for skilled noblemen to rise through the ranks. It wouldn't surprise me if Benjen fought during the Greyjoy rebellion and that his reasoning for joining the NW was somehow tied into that. Which is way after the Harrenhal tourny.

R+L=J!!!!!!!!

please, just stop. how people can still think otherwise is beyond me. There are so many other, more intersting things we can talk about on these forums. Of any of the mysteries going on in the books right now, not one has as much textual evidence as R+L=J. If it turns out not to be true, then i will burn these books and drop a sloppy turd on the ashes. It would aboslutely retarded if George wrote it any other way. I mean srsly, how much more proof do you need to convince you? You are going to throw out the pages and pages of quotes, and timelines and common sense for some stupid theory that has absolutely no evidence to back it up? Maybe Benjen has sex with the dead direwolf in the first chapter of AGOT, and all the wolves are half Stark. Thats why he joined the Nights Watch.

c'mon!

Also, it is stated many many many many times throughout the books that it is very common for younger sons of large houses to join the Nights Watch. Benjen was the third son. He isnt going to get Winterfell. He joined the Nights Watch because the Starks still see the NW as a worthwhile life choice. There is no scorned woman in his past, bastards, or crimes he is paying for. He was a younger brother, and wanted a chance for glory and honor. Nothing more. There isnt even the slightest hint in the text that would lead you to believe otherwise.

R+L=J!!!!!!!!

please, just stop. how people can still think otherwise is beyond me. There are so many other, more intersting things we can talk about on these forums. Of any of the mysteries going on in the books right now, not one has as much textual evidence as R+L=J. If it turns out not to be true, then i will burn these books and drop a sloppy turd on the ashes. It would aboslutely retarded if George wrote it any other way. I mean srsly, how much more proof do you need to convince you? You are going to throw out the pages and pages of quotes, and timelines and common sense for some stupid theory that has absolutely no evidence to back it up? Maybe Benjen has sex with the dead direwolf in the first chapter of AGOT, and all the wolves are half Stark. Thats why he joined the Nights Watch.

c'mon!

To borrow a quote Peter Dinklage on the subject of the shock & surprise (among TV viewers) at the RW: "If you are surprised you haven't been paying attention".

Sure there's textual evidence for R+L=J, but GRRM loves shocking you, doing what you do not expect.

Ned was supposed to go to the NW. Plenty of textual evidence for that too.

So, save your offal for the porcelain throne.

R+L=J!!!!!!!!

c'mon!

Go Ahead

Archived