What makes a man-at-arms?

DragonKnight141

I think a man-at-arms is a person highly skilled in the art of war and weaponry. Many are most likely retired knights or sellswords that see an opportunity to take refuge in a castle or hold while teaching others to fight, like a lord's (high or low) family and guard.

It could mean a peasant with a pitchfork or a knight clad in platemail, its a very loose term.

No, that's simply incorrect, a man at arms is never a "peasant with a pitchfork" a man at arms is a paid retainer in service to a lord. In fact, there is no mention of peasants with pitchforks in any of the army's in this series, and that is historically accurate.

No, that's simply incorrect, a man at arms is never a "peasant with a pitchfork" a man at arms is a paid retainer in service to a lord. In fact, there is no mention of peasants with pitchforks in any of the army's in this series, and that is historically accurate.

I was going to say the same thing. A man-at-arms is highly skilled in battle and weaponry, else there'd be no point in hiring them because they'd be horrible at training others.

I would guess that someone like Jory Cassell would be considered a man-at-arms?

Basically, as I understand, a man-at-arms is more or less the equivalent of a knight who has, for whatever reason, not been formally knighted.

I would guess that someone like Jory Cassell would be considered a man-at-arms?

Basically, as I understand, a man-at-arms is more or less the equivalent of a knight who has, for whatever reason, not been formally knighted.

not necessarily, a man at arms could simply be a skilled warrior as you said but not be able to afford a set of heavy plate armour and 3 horses

O I'm not disagreeing as I agree with what you are saying but there were pretty much peasants with pitchforks in the second Dunk and Egg story if I remember correctly. Although I don't think they were pitchforks exactly but instead sharpened sticks.

I've looked it up on google and it just says that a man at arms is basically a knight but in the books it differentiates between the two. Could someone explain it?

The two terms are not meant to be interchangeable. A master-at-arms is someone who trains in arms. A knight does not make a master at arms and vice versa.

Straight from the "master at arms" wiki:

A master-at-arms (MA) may be a naval rating responsible for discipline and law enforcement, an army officer responsible for physical training, or a member of the crew of a merchant ship (usually a passenger vessel) responsible for security and law enforcement. In some navies a “ship's corporal” is a position, not the rank of a petty officer who assists the master at arms in his various duties.

Straight from Rodrik:

“This is your prince. Who are you to tell him he may not have an edge on his sword, ser?”“Master-at-arms of Winterfell, Clegane, and you would do well not to forget it.”“Are you training women here?” the burned man wanted to know. He was muscled like a bull.“I am training knights,” Ser Rodrik said pointedly.

I think a man-at-arms is a person highly skilled in the art of war and weaponry. Many are most likely retired knights or sellswords that see an opportunity to take refuge in a castle or hold while teaching others to fight, like a lord's (high or low) family and guard.

I was going to say the same thing. A man-at-arms is highly skilled in battle and weaponry, else there'd be no point in hiring them because they'd be horrible at training others.

You are thinking of a master at arms not a man at arms

I've looked it up on google and it just says that a man at arms is basically a knight but in the books it differentiates between the two. Could someone explain it?

Think of the difference between an officer and a soldier in the military. A man-at-arms is a foot soldier, armed and armored, and highly trained. He is more than a peasant with a pitchfork though -- armor costs money. A man-at-arms may be sworn to a house, or may hold his own lands and fight when called upon .I think the household guards appearing in the series (Lannister guards in Kings Landing, Stark men in Winterfell, Stannis's guard following Melisandre around all the time) are good examples of men-at-arms.

Knights are a few ranks up. Sure, they fight on horseback, may be better trained, and fight in tournaments and what not. But there is more to them. Knighthood has a religious (Faith of the Seven) component (they swear a vow), a social component (one is raised to knighthood, and knights are ransomed), an economic component (there are landed knights and household knights), and a military one (knights guard the king, command the gold cloaks, and serve as castellans). Think about Ser Rodrick Cassel, Ser Justin Massey, the Kingsguard, and others. They are more than men-at-arms.

Archived