the sun that rises in the west

Sigorn

I'm not a great fan of prophecy-oriented theories and i'm normally inclined to underestimate the importance of prophecy in ASOIAF (i began to give them any valor only by the second reading of the series) but i thought crossed my mind while listening the chapter of the Dance of Dragons audiobook in which Quentin reveals himself to Daenerys: can he be the sun who rises in the west and set in the east? The sun is the sigil of House Martel and quentin, from Meeren's point of view, could be the interpreted as a sun rising in the west, the direction from which he comes; and it's in the far east (from Westeros' point of view) that this pale sun cease to shine, finding is death in Meerens' dungeons.

I do not think that this is a good interpretation but i can't stop thinking about it, can please someone find me a strong argument angainst it?

A while ago I opened a thread about this, but without specific idea on what prophecy might refer. Furthermore, it is not sure whether this is some sort of prophecy, foreshadowing, or nice way to say 'never'. This was an answer Mirri Maz Duur gave to Dany on question 'when will Drogo return?' Interestingly, at the end of ADWD, we see several events that fit into this line, but alas the question is a problem. For Drogo is truly dead and there is no return for him.

I think what Dany asked was "when will he be as he was" wasn't it? In which case, that has to be absolutely never, since he's dead and burned.

I agree that several of the seemingly impossible "requirements" in MMD's answer seem to have been fulfilled, but then that's the whole deal with vaguely worded prophesies: you can interpret many things to make them fit, if you believe them.

I am pretty sure MMD simply meant to tell Dany "never", but in a clever way.

You'r probably right, i did not remember that this was MMD's answer to the question "When will he be as he was before?", i didnt check what was the question and i wrongly assumed that the question was "Will i be fertile again?".

I wonder why Daenerys comes back to this answer from time to time, however, like if she thinks there's a sort of riddle in it. In any case you're probably right, i prefer to think that's just an enphatic way to say "neveromore".

Ofcourse MMD meant to tell Dany that Drogo would never return, but GRRM is to clever by half to include such a list of requisites for it not to be important.

Quentyn rises in Westeros and sets in Essos, the Dothraki sea is running dry, the Mountain fell and there is proof that Dany may have miscarried.

The more important news from the "prophecy" (such that it is), is that Dany could have another child and actually be able to further her line.

I'm not a great fan of prophecy-oriented theories and i'm normally inclined to underestimate the importance of prophecy in ASOIAF (i began to give them any valor only by the second reading of the series) but i thought crossed my mind while listening the chapter of the Dance of Dragons audiobook in which Quentin reveals himself to Daenerys: can he be the sun who rises in the west and set in the east? The sun is the sigil of House Martel and quentin, from Meeren's point of view, could be the interpreted as a sun rising in the west, the direction from which he comes; and it's in the far east (from Westeros' point of view) that this pale sun cease to shine, finding is death in Meerens' dungeons.

I do not think that this is a good interpretation but i can't stop thinking about it, can please someone find me a strong argument angainst it?

It fits perfectly along with a few others. I don't have the books in front of me, so I can't give the exact quotes for MMD's prophecy, but...

"When the seas dry up"

The Dothraki sea is yellow and drying.

"When mountains crumble and turn to ash"

The pyramids of Mereen bening burned and turning to ash by the dragons.

"When your womb quickens and you bear a living child"

Dany has a miscarriage at the end of DWD

"Only then, will Drogo return to you"

In the sense that only death can pay for life, Drogon is the reincarnated version of Drogo. At the end of DWD Drogon actually flew down from the sky and literally returned to Dany when she called him, and the book ended with them side by side, meeting a khalasar that mostly belonged to Drogo formerly. Drogon and Dany standing side by side is, IMO, very symbolic of them being partners now and Drogo has metaphorically returned to Dany.

Archived