(Crackpot) Tyrells, Dany and the Others

Jon of the Dead

Ok, so after a while on the board I've decided to lose my crackpot virginity, so here goes.

There's been much speculation about Loras' true whereabouts and the authenticity the reports about him being burned. Most people seem to agree on the fact that he's not only healthy and well but also not in Dragonstone, but rather defending the Reach. I have a different theory:

- The Tyrells are known to be crafty. They like to prepare ahead to have a plan B. They also have family ties with the Hightowers of Oldtown, who doubtless are pretty close to the Archmaesters of the Citadel. There's also Lazy Leo Tyrell who's buddies with Marwyn and now Sam.

- Both the Citadel and Marwyn have been keeping an eye on Dany. So, what if they've been doing the same with the Wall? There's been reports of mysterious wildling activity since early as SoS, according to Varys. The Citadel must have an idea that there's something going on there too. Marwyn hinted at this when he told Sam to keep his mouth shut about the Others unless he wants poison.

- So, if the Citadel (and probably the Hightowers) and Lazy Leo know, what are the odds of the Tyrells knowing about this as well?

So, my theory is that they've sent poor Loras on a rather exhausting mission.

- First, secure Dragonstone with a mostly Tyrell-loyalist garrison. If they've heard about the Others, they must know dragonglass is important, so they probably want to be the ones to have some in case the Others come south. They'll be like the opportunists who develop a vaccine during a flu outbreak. The Tyrells will have the only "cure" against the Others, and this would be a pretty big bargaining chip on the coming war.

- Second, maybe Loras really is burned and maybe it happened inside the Dragonstone volcano looking for obsidian. I don't think Margaery was lying about the part about Loras getting burned, because what if Cersei wants to see him or something and realizes he's not burned? I think there's gotta be some truth in that.

- Third, if the Tyrells know about Dany, thanks to Leo and the Hightowers, they likely sent Loras to Essos to work out an alliance in case Dany is the real thing.

I know I'm basing the theory mostly on the Hightowers being close to the Citadel and on Lazy Leo, but why would GRRM have a Tyrell there in Marwyn's circle unless he's gonna be significant somehow.

Well, anyway, it's just crackpot, what do you think? :P

Interesting. Possible, but I would not consider it likely. The Tyrells don't seem to have eyes much on the Wall; there has been no need for the longest time.

But maybe The Citadel and Marwyn do, so maybe the Hightowers and Leo know it as well and they could've told the Tyrells.

Something Marwyn said left me thinking, when he told Sam "Don't mention anything about the Wall unless you want poison on your porridge" (or something like that). The way he said it make me think that the Citadel kinda has an idea of the Others but they don't want people spreading tales about it.

I'm surprisingly sold on this. I'm 90% sure Loras did find something amazing at Dragonstone (obsidian, the stone dragon whatever the hell that is, Greyscale...) and is dealing with that. It's a stretch but Loras could be the perfumed seneschal who will meet Dany. IIRC Sansa comments on Loras smell and "Ser Loras is so Tyrell he pisses rosewater. He should never have been given a white cloak." We get that from Cersei, I'm pretty sure the Knight of the Flowers uses perfume or at least smells of it.

The recent Tyrell moves have made it clear to me that besides appearances the Tyrell/Lannister alliance is over. Expect marriage proposals and poison for everyone!!

I'm surprisingly sold on this. I'm 90% sure Loras did find something amazing at Dragonstone (obsidian, the stone dragon whatever the hell that is, Greyscale...) and is dealing with that. It's a stretch but Loras could be the perfumed seneschal who will meet Dany. IIRC Sansa comments on Loras smell and "Ser Loras is so Tyrell he pisses rosewater. He should never have been given a white cloak." We get that from Cersei, I'm pretty sure the Knight of the Flowers uses perfume or at least smells of it.

The recent Tyrell moves have made it clear to me that besides appearances the Tyrell/Lannister alliance is over. Expect marriage proposals and poison for everyone!!

That's right, I forgot about that. Some people say it can also be Willas. I thought it could be Lazy Leo or the seneschal of the Citadel, but these people are all connected:

- Lord Leyton Hightower (who is locked in a tower learning spells, like wtf?!) is Margaery's grandfather

- He's the father of Lynesse, Jorah's wife

- And this is where it gets pretty interesting: Lord Leyton's son, Humfrey, already left to Essos, "supposedly" to find Lynesse, about the same time Loras was "injured" and about the same time the Citadel decides to send someone looking for Dany. What if Humfrey is travelling to Slaver's Bay with cousin Loras?

I can't help but thinking the Hightowers' words forshadow Dany coming to Westeros: "We Light The Way". Furthermore, I think it would make narrative sense if Dany ends up in the Citadel, surrounded by people who want to kill her.

I don't know, seems like GRRM has gone out of his way to put all these coincidences: Lazy Leo, the Hightowers connections to the Tyrells, Jorah's wife conveniently in Essos, Loras gone missing, Humfrey Hightower going to Essos, I don't know, it's interesting

Maybe Loras is actually Daario in Meereen sent to seduce Dany. That's why no one has seen him. He left before DS, someone else was burned in his armor. He hightailed it to Meereen to find this Dragon Queen because the Tyrells have

A- always been Targ supporters

B- really want one of their own ruling the 7 Kingdoms

Archived