Something about the vile princes we have known

The-Paul-Arron00

I don't think either were all that skilled, Joff had probably just been told by his mother that he was great, and Viserys probably just never had anyone dispute it when he said it. But good with a sword doesn't necessarily translate to good as a king either. Robert was a great knight but not much of a king and let's face it, at one time he was one of the greatest fighters in Westeros, yet by the time he arrives in Winterfell his weight is his biggest strength. Meanwhile Daeron, Aerys I, and Egg were not much as swordsmen but they were still good kings. Plumm has a great bit in Mystery Knight about the whole process.

Didn't really matter how good they were with a weapon. Nowhere does it say that if you're King you HAVE to fight battles. They just need to be able to lead their men and make good decisions. Neither of them would be able to do that either, but they shouldn't be judged on how well they can fight.

Joff was a wannabe with the sword. We can't really say if he was working at it, but he was far less talented/inclined than Arya.

Viserys we didn't really get to see in action, but I don't think he would have been too far below the level of the Dothraki, who use different weapons. Could have stood to take up with a free company for a while. Maybe he was dueling bravos in his spare time...

Joff was a wannabe with the sword. We can't really say if he was working at it, but he was far less talented/inclined than Arya.

Viserys we didn't really get to see in action, but I don't think he would have been too far below the level of the Dothraki, who use different weapons. Could have stood to take up with a free company for a while. Maybe he was dueling bravos in his spare time...

I think Arya at this point in time could have kicked either of their posteriors on their best days. :)

I didn't say anything about them being kings or how they ruled. I specifically said how could they really think they were personally all the tough.

Because Joff, no doubt, had been told he was great by his mother, and there was no one to tell Viserys that he wasn't great.

His mother plus nearly every other person he had come in contact with since birth except for probably Robert

Joff was probably encouraged to be good by Bob and he was probably told he was good by his mother and Vis most likely had a semblance of training from Willam Darry but nothing major.

I didn't say anything about them being kings or how they ruled. I specifically said how could they really think they were personally all the tough.

But would there ever have been a time, if either of them had survived, that they would have needed to prove that they were tough? I wouldn't have thought so.

Archived