A Great Council

Dead Wolf

I dont think so. With the current state of Westeros at the end of ADWD, I find it hard to believe that you can sit Cersei, Stannis, Dany, Euron, and JonCon/ Aegon in a table and ask four of them to back down.

Unfortunately, its going to end in a bloodbath.

It won't happen in the current climate. Stannis won't back down, Dany is hardly going to rely on diplomacy when she has dragons, Euron is completely batshit, Aegon's lived his whole life building up to reclaiming it. Then you've got the High Septon, Tyrion, Victarion, angry Northman, the Martells, and so many other bitter, violent factions that don't want to give an inch to their enemies.

Depends on what you consider a "great council". Even Catelyn didn't meant that it would include ALL Lords of the Seven Kingdoms, just those currently supporting Robb, Stannis and Renly (which at this point were most of them, though). So it was not really a "let's all sit down and talk instead of fighting" and more a "let's make an alliance so that we can fight those other people together". And something like the latter will probably happen at some point. It seems unlikely to me that all but one of the people currently staking a claim (Tommen/Cersei, Stannis, Dany, Aegon, Euron, possibly others) will be defeated and only one remains as the victor by default.

So alliances will be made, although key players here might be those who don't necessarily want to claim the Iron Throne, but rather parts of the Seven Kingdoms, like Sansa or Rickon for the North, Tyrion for the Westerlands, or possible Doran for Dorne. I can imagine them supporting one of the other claimants in exchange for independence or greater autonomy.

It won't happen in the current climate. Stannis won't back down, Dany is hardly going to rely on diplomacy when she has dragons, Euron is completely batshit, Aegon's lived his whole life building up to reclaiming it. Then you've got the High Septon, Tyrion, Victarion, angry Northman, the Martells, and so many other bitter, violent factions that don't want to give an inch to their enemies.

:lol:

There might be some sort of council but only for the purpose of all the other lords surrendering when/if Dany turns up and burns a few armies to ash.

:lol:

There might be some sort of council but only for the purpose of all the other lords surrendering when/if Dany turns up and burns a few armies to ash.

There is a flip side to that statement. The lords unite, in order to bring down and destroy her flying WMDs.

I suspect there will be a Great Council, but only at the very end of the books. As others have stated, none of the current contenders have any need or desire for compromise, but I have a feeling that in the wake of all the devastation caused throughout the series and with winter setting in, the realm will be in shambles and there will be no smooth succession of any kind. Instead of fighting for claims, power or gold, the series ends with the lords selecting someone who can actually keep the realm together.

I personally believe that practically everyone intent on taking the Iron Throne right now will ultimately fail: Stannis will go down in the North (either betrayed by the Northmen who wish to make Jon or Rickon King in the North or killed in battle against the Others); (f)Aegon is crowned King Aegon VI after the Lannister/Tyrell regime collapses, leading to the deaths of Tommen and Myrcella, but is defeated in the Second Dance of the Dragons by Danaerys. Dany takes the throne, but is hated as a savage, barbarian, kin-slaying queen who stole (f)Aegon's 'rightful' legacy: when her military forces are spent after the battle against the Others (including the dragons), Dany is either deposed or abdicates.

With no clear line of succession, the Seven Kingdoms are forced to call another Great Council to establish a new dynasty.

I suspect there will be a Great Council, but only at the very end of the books. As others have stated, none of the current contenders have any need or desire for compromise, but I have a feeling that in the wake of all the devastation caused throughout the series and with winter setting in, the realm will be in shambles and there will be no smooth succession of any kind. Instead of fighting for claims, power or gold, the series ends with the lords selecting someone who can actually keep the realm together.

I personally believe that practically everyone intent on taking the Iron Throne right now will ultimately fail: Stannis will go down in the North (either betrayed by the Northmen who wish to make Jon or Rickon King in the North or killed in battle against the Others); (f)Aegon is crowned King Aegon VI after the Lannister/Tyrell regime collapses, leading to the deaths of Tommen and Myrcella, but is defeated in the Second Dance of the Dragons by Danaerys. Dany takes the throne, but is hated as a savage, barbarian, kin-slaying queen who stole (f)Aegon's 'rightful' legacy: when her military forces are spent after the battle against the Others (including the dragons), Dany is either deposed or abdicates.

With no clear line of succession, the Seven Kingdoms are forced to call another Great Council to establish a new dynasty.

This! :agree:

I certainly hope so. Stannis is a friend to the Starks and the North so between them Dany won't stand a chance

I certainly hope so. Stannis is a friend to the Starks and the North so between them Dany won't stand a chance

*cough*DRAGONS*cough*

Aegon the conquerer defeated all of the seven kingdoms with no army because he had dragons. Dany also has unsullied as well as maybe her freedmen or the Iron Fleet against the broken and scattered armies of the 7K.

Aegon the conquerer defeated all of the seven kingdoms with no army because he had dragons. Dany also has unsullied as well as maybe her freedmen or the Iron Fleet against the broken and scattered armies of the 7K.

Aegon the Conqueror did not defeat Dorne due to their refusal to take to the battle field, and very succesfully resorting hit-and-run guerilla tactics instead.

Archived