Events in the books that may be inspired actual history

Mestre Telê

1) Jon's murder was very similar to Caesar's. Both led ancient institutions (Roman Republic and the Night's Watch) where they were considered the first among equals. Both were murdered by their peers because they were perceived to be destroying that institution. In a way allowing the widlings and giants to join the NW, Jon was doing something similar to what Caesar did by allowing more political say to the Roman common population. And both were stabbed multiple times by multiple assailants. Of course Jon may be alive while Caesar died.

2) The Targerians have many similarities to the Ptolmeys in Egypt. Both were a dinasties founded by conquering foreigners who ruled for many years. They both married brother to sister in order to keep the purity of the line. And both spawned more then one crazy monarch.

3) The wall, like Adrian's wall, was constructed by a civilized people in order to protect their realm from unconquerable foes. Scots and Picts in real life, widlings, giants and the others in the book.

Does any one remember other such events?

The Dance of the Dragons is inspired by the events in English history, when Henry I died his heir, Matilda, tried to make the Lords let her be Queen, but meanwhile her cousin, Stephen, got himself crowned King instead. This then started years of fighting that ended when Stephen had no heirs left and promised Matilda that her son could be King after him. After Stephen died Matilda's son became King Henry II.

I always thought Dany and her khalasar and also Nymeria and her people are like Moses leading his people to the promised land, in this case "Westeros".

AAR at Volantis seems inspired by the early Christians when they were being persecuted by Nero.

Bloody Mary whom was queen before Elizabeth the I. Used to hunt and burn Protestants so that connects to King Aerys I suppose.

Also the Dothraki are compared to the Mongols (Gengis Khan)

The Iron Born are vikings.

The wildlings as you mentioned as the Scots.

But you've pretty much covered everything haha

Edward IV - Robb (Great victories - bad marriage)

Stannis - Will the Conquerer (naval invasion - personalities)

I dont know if id call Stannis, William the Conquerer. Tbh Stannis hasnt conquered anything YET. The North isnt fully under his control neither is Beyond the Wall. So no conquerer title for Stannis.

Aegon I, Nymeria, and Daenerys would be better examples of William the Conquerer.

Bloody Mary whom was queen before Elizabeth the I. Used to hunt and burn Protestants so that connects to King Aerys I suppose.

Also the Dothraki are compared to the Mongols (Gengis Khan)

The Iron Born are vikings.

The wildlings as you mentioned as the Scots.

But you've pretty much covered everything haha

The Mongols are much different than the Dothraki in means of armor and siegecraft.

Dothraki are more like huns mixed with turks, mixed with some native american tribes as well as the mongols and many other horse based tribes.

Archived