Former Royal Houses

House Yronwood absolutely were Kings, one among many in Dorne.

My statement might have been confusing. I did acknowledge that they were kings, they just weren't petty kings. I was saying they probably had a sizable kingdom- much more than what a petty king would have.

House Mudd is now extinct too isn't it?

Probably. Two members in the Golden Company take the surname Mudd, but it's unlikely that they are actually related. Apparently the Mudds were wiped out by the Andals, which would have been thousands of years before the series.

• 1 year later...

There was an age of 100 Kings. 100 isn't that many.

Northern kings include Starks, Boltons, Barrow King (Dustin's?), Marsh Kings (Reed?), Glovers, Blackwoods, Flints, Slates.

River kings (of the entire riverlands) are Fishers, Mudds, Teagues, Justman, Blackwood and Bracken.

Mootons and Darkyn also, the Crabbs.

In the Vale there was Shett, Royce and Shell and Brightstone. Then Arryn.

The ironborn have had Goodbrother, Hoare, Greyjoy, Greyiron etc thanks to the kingsmoot.

Westerlands have had Reynes, Westerlings and Lannisters. There are more but I don't have the book rn

The Reach was pretty much always Gardener land, as the Gardeners began the other houses, but the Hightowers were kings.

Bar Emmon and Massey kings, Durrandons, Tarths?

Blackmonts, Drylands, Manwoody, Yronwood, Dayne and Fowlers are all mentioned as being the Dornish kings, as with the Jordaynes and Allyrions. The lords along the green blood elected kings from 10 odd houses.

Doubtless there are more. This is all I can remember at the moment. Might edit it later.

From World of Ice and fire:

Houses that were kings

Kings in the north: Starks of Winterfell, Barrow Kings (probably Dustins) of Barrowtown, Flints of Breakstone Hill , Umbers , Slates of Black Pool, Lockes of Oldcastle , Glovers of Depwood Motte, Fishers of Stony Shore, Ryders , Blackwoods of Raventree, Red Kings (Boltons) of Dreadfort , Marsh Kings ( Reeds?) , Greywolfs , Warg kings, Greenwoods, Towers, Ambers , Frosts , Kings Beyond The Wall , Thenns ,

Riverlands: Fishers , Blackwoods , Brackens , Mudds of Oldstones, Justmans , Teagues , Durrandons , Hoares , Mallisters, Vances, Charltons

Vale: Shells , Brighstones , Corbrays ( styled themselves Lords of Five Fingers) , Osgoods, Royces , Shetts Graftons, [Redforts, Hunters , Belmores , Upcliffs , Coldwaters - probably] Arryns , Sunderlands of Sisteron , Griffin Kings

Iron Islands: Grey Kings , Greyjoys , Greyirons , Goodbrothers , Drumms , Hoares , Orkwoods , Volmarks , ( probably all Iron Islands ancient houses were kings at some point)

Westerlands: Lannisters , Farmans, Westerlings, Reynes. [Casterlys were the richest house but they didn't style themselves kings

Reach: Gardeners, Hightowers, Kings of Arbor ( Redwynes?)

Stormlands: Masseys , Durrandons , Bar Emmons, Mootons , Darklyns ( probably Carons and Swanns )

Dorne: Yronwoods, Daynes , Fowlers , Drylands , Blackmonts , Manwoods, Wyls , Wades , Shells, Holts , Brookes , Hulls , Lakes , Brownhills , Jordaynes, Allyrions

(Martells never were kings)

The Royces were high kings back when the andals first invaded the vale. At one point a Royce united many of the notable first men houses in the vale they knelt to him and he became high king and took the fight to the andals that had already invaded the vale but had become quarrelsome and divided. They were only defeated when the andals banded together to destroy them. If I remember correctly this is how the arryns became Kings of the Vale.

What's interesting is that it seems like the current Royces may actually be trying to do this again. Four of the current lords declarant are of first men descent the Royces, Redforts, Hunters and Belmores. The Coldwaters are vassals to the Royces which was another ancient first men house that swore fealty to the royce high king. One of the sons of Lord Redfort was recently forced to marry a daughter of Lord Yohn Royce. Petyr thinks the current lord Belmore weak and corrupt but we only have his point of view. What if he is pulling a Manderly? The current Andal descendant is a young, sickly boy. With a regent that is not his natural father and lacks strength of arms. The time seems ripe for the first men to reclaim the vale. Waynwoods are poor and are hoping Harry the Heir inherits since it would keep an Andal in power that is Petyr's leverage over them but perhaps Bronze Yohn has a completely different idea in mind.

Things become even more interesting since we all know who Alyane is and that she is the true heir to winterfell(at least until one of the boys pops back up) and has the blood of the first men flowing in her. And as far as I know Bronze Yohn Royce has a unmarried heir.....

From World of Ice and fire:

Houses that were kings

Kings in the north: Starks of Winterfell, Barrow Kings (probably Dustins) of Barrowtown, Flints of Breakstone Hill , Umbers , Slates of Black Pool, Lockes of Oldcastle , Glovers of Depwood Motte, Fishers of Stony Shore, Ryders , Blackwoods of Raventree, Red Kings (Boltons) of Dreadfort , Marsh Kings ( Reeds?) , Greywolfs , Warg kings, Greenwoods, Towers, Ambers , Frosts , Kings Beyond The Wall , Thenns ,

Riverlands: Fishers , Blackwoods , Brackens , Mudds of Oldstones, Justmans , Teagues , Durrandons , Hoares , Mallisters, Vances, Charltons

Vale: Shells , Brighstones , Corbrays ( styled themselves Lords of Five Fingers) , Osgoods, Royces , Shetts Graftons, [Redforts, Hunters , Belmores , Upcliffs , Coldwaters - probably] Arryns , Sunderlands of Sisteron , Griffin Kings

Iron Islands: Grey Kings , Greyjoys , Greyirons , Goodbrothers , Drumms , Hoares , Orkwoods , Volmarks , ( probably all Iron Islands ancient houses were kings at some point)

Westerlands: Lannisters , Farmans, Westerlings, Reynes. [Casterlys were the richest house but they didn't style themselves kings

Reach: Gardeners, Hightowers, Kings of Arbor ( Redwynes?)

Stormlands: Masseys , Durrandons , Bar Emmons, Mootons , Darklyns ( probably Carons and Swanns )

Dorne: Yronwoods, Daynes , Fowlers , Drylands , Blackmonts , Manwoods, Wyls , Wades , Shells, Holts , Brookes , Hulls , Lakes , Brownhills , Jordaynes, Allyrions

(Martells never were kings)

Haha I'm sorry, but the "Osgoods" is actually Osgood Shett. No Corbrays, they were never kings. Redforts, Belmores, Coldwaters, Hunter weren't stated, but its a good assumption.

Wades , Shells, Holts , Brookes , Hulls , Lakes , Brownhills were the numerous kings of the Greenblood.

Greenwoods, Towers, Ambers , Frosts are also never said to be kings, just extinguished or expelled from the North.

Haha I'm sorry, but the "Osgoods" is actually Osgood Shett. No Corbrays, they were never kings. Redforts, Belmores, Coldwaters, Hunter weren't stated, but its a good assumption.

Wades , Shells, Holts , Brookes , Hulls , Lakes , Brownhills were the numerous kings of the Greenblood.

Greenwoods, Towers, Ambers , Frosts are also never said to be kings, just extinguished or expelled from the North.

The Frost's name actually sounds kind of cool. Considering that the northern houses last names are usually short and to the point it makes me wonder if perhaps they had some magical connection or mysterious ties to winter.

There was an age of 100 Kings. 100 isn't that many.

The Age of the Hundred Kingdoms is what they call the time period when there were many kingdoms, mostly petty, but Maester Yandel says that there never actually were that many kingdoms. I'll see if I can find the quote and post it later.

The Age of the Hundred Kingdoms is what they call the time period when there were many kingdoms, mostly petty, but Maester Yandel says that there never actually were that many kingdoms. I'll see if I can find the quote and post it later.

Ahh of course. Thank you. I'd imagine there was more like 70 kingdoms, but since I don't know when, I can't say if they were Andal or First Men kingdoms, or both. Since the North was pretty solid Stark rule by the time of the Andal invasion, that cuts off half the kingdoms we know about, so I'd put it before then, and they all be First Men kingdoms, before the Starks took over the North.

Archived