Passages you personally feel most take the wrong way

JaegrM

I did not see the "bride of fire" thing to mean husbands either. I think it meant she would love fire like Aerys. The vision of Silver corresponds to the her lighting the funeral pyre and entering it. I think she will light up the Grey joy fleet. I think she will also light up Jon. I hope Jon has a magical event that resurrects him, similar to the dragon hatching. He will wake up as a Targ.

"Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you." (Don't worry, I'm not about to start talking about secret Targs).

I think to understand this quote from Genna in AFFC, you have to look at what leads up to it (quotes might not be 100.0% verbatim):

1. Genna recounts fondly the time Tywin, when he was all of 10 years old, spoke out against Genna's betrothal to Emmon Frey. She wonders how she could not love Tywin after that, and states that every little girl needs a big brother to protect her, and that "Tywin was big even when he was little." She sighs, and wonders "Who will protect us now?"

2. Jaime answers "He left a son" (meaning Jaime will protect the Lannisters).

3. Genna responds, "Aye, he did. That is what I fear the most, in truth."

4. Jaime asks her what she means.

5. Genna explains to Jaime that she's known him since he was a baby. He smiles like Gerion and he fights like Tyg, and there's some of Kevan in him...but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not him.

So what Genna really seems to be saying is that the only Lannister son who would be able to protect the Lannisters the way Tywin protected them is Tyrion, not Jaime. Whatever Jaime's other qualities might be, he won't be able to protect the family the way Tywin did when he was alive. The only person who might be able to do it is Tyrion, who is AWOL and possibly dead for all Genna knows. That is what she "fears"; the only possible Tywin replacement, who could protect the Lannisters the way Tywin did, has left the building.

...It's really more of a slam on Jaime, no matter how kindly phrased, than it's an endorsement of Tyrion, which is why it's a bit puzzling that it's interpreted to emphasize the latter while ignoring the former.

In the context of the conversation, there's nothing to suggest that "Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you" is a reference to Jaime's biological paternity, or Tyrion's for that matter.

Archived