Who will be upgraded to main cast for S4 (Book Spoilers)

Lord of Lannisport

EW said the show had 29 regulars at the start of season 4, but does that mean all of them have to appear this season? In other words, were they talking about 29 actors they have on the payroll as regulars, or 29 who will appear in this season?

And furthermore... do they still count Michelle Fairley as a regular?

They have 29 series regulars this season, who will all appear. Usually, that means people in the credits, so I don't know what the fudge is wrong with the press release.

I don't think Michelle will still be a regular, more like a special guest star (it's unlikely that LS will get her own plot). The same, likely, goes for Ciaran Hinds, who I imagine is pretty expensive, too, so they'd probably use him sparingly.

Gemma Whelan sounds like a good option. Joe Dempsie could easily be the other.

The idea of who is a series regular and who's not has always fascinated me on long-running ensemble shows, Thrones in particular because the ensemble is so damned big. It interests me because the show is not just declaring "this is our A-Team" but securing the actors' long-term participation to avoid them running off and getting other gigs.

That's interesting about Joe Dempsie admitting he won't be back this year. We can definitely presume though, via his main title credit in season 3, that he has indeed been locked down for future seasons. Of that I'm certain.

At a certain level it all becomes contractual, fine-print nonsense. Gwendoline Christie was listed as a regular in the Season 3 press release, but was kept a guest star in favor of Dempsie and Oona Chaplin, who were not in the press release. I assume something similar is going on with Hannah Murray getting in over Diana Rigg and Michael McElhatton this year. Based on what happened with Christie, I have to think McElhatton will join the main cast alongside Emmanuel and Huisman next year. Someone as famous as Diana Rigg probably has her own separate deal; plus, since she got a Guest Actress Emmy nomination last year, maybe they think she's more likely to get another in that category than in Supporting Actress if she joined the main cast? Who really knows? At a certain point, it also becomes about keeping the actors' agents happy, too.

As for Michelle Fairley, I agree that a "Special Guest" credit would make sense for future appearances, but we don't know how often she'll actually appear. She could very well be the 29th regular and end up back in the opening titles next season. Next year will put us into unknown plot territory for, at minimum, the Bran/Theon/Sansa/Brienne plotlines. All guesswork right now, but fun guesswork :)

That's interesting about Joe Dempsie admitting he won't be back this year.

I'm pretty sure that would actually be confidential information, and I can't imagine one of the actors would risk getting reprimanded for something like this. I have both Joe Dempsie and Bryan Cogman on my twitter and they get constantly asked whether Gendry is in this season, and neither has ever answered the question. So, yeah. We'll see.

The idea of who is a series regular and who's not has always fascinated me on long-running ensemble shows, Thrones in particular because the ensemble is so damned big. It interests me because the show is not just declaring "this is our A-Team" but securing the actors' long-term participation to avoid them running off and getting other gigs.

That's interesting about Joe Dempsie admitting he won't be back this year. We can definitely presume though, via his main title credit in season 3, that he has indeed been locked down for future seasons. Of that I'm certain.

At a certain level it all becomes contractual, fine-print nonsense. Gwendoline Christie was listed as a regular in the Season 3 press release, but was kept a guest star in favor of Dempsie and Oona Chaplin, who were not in the press release. I assume something similar is going on with Hannah Murray getting in over Diana Rigg and Michael McElhatton this year. Based on what happened with Christie, I have to think McElhatton will join the main cast alongside Emmanuel and Huisman next year. Someone as famous as Diana Rigg probably has her own separate deal; plus, since she got a Guest Actress Emmy nomination last year, maybe they think she's more likely to get another in that category than in Supporting Actress if she joined the main cast? Who really knows? At a certain point, it also becomes about keeping the actors' agents happy, too.

As for Michelle Fairley, I agree that a "Special Guest" credit would make sense for future appearances, but we don't know how often she'll actually appear. She could very well be the 29th regular and end up back in the opening titles next season. Next year will put us into unknown plot territory for, at minimum, the Bran/Theon/Sansa/Brienne plotlines. All guesswork right now, but fun guesswork :)

Theon's storyline for next year should be the rest of his ADWD storyline, i.e. the parts that happen in Winterfell and start with the introduction of Jeyne. The end will either be the escape, or the WoW material, depending on where the North storyline ends in season 5, in other words, when exactly does the Battle of Ice happen?

Whatever else happens in Season 5, and however fast or slow they burn through FFC/DWD (I'm guessing fast), I'm increasingly certain season 5 will end with the Stannis-Bolton battle. I think that aspect of Book 6 gets spoiled first. I think D&D know that post-Season 4, they can't have a season where the only exciting thing that happens is Dany flying away on a dragon.

Also, bringing it back to the series regular count, it seems the HBO budget at this point doesn't allow for more than 28-29 main cast members. They're losing several this year, but based on who they've promoted they'll be back to almost full capacity next year. If they do indeed start casting more Greyjoys and Martells and Griffs, many of those actors will expect to be in the opening credits at some point.

Put in simpler terms, I absolutely expect some series regular characters who die in Book 6 to die at the end of Season 5.

Whatever else happens in Season 5, and however fast or slow they burn through FFC/DWD (I'm guessing fast), I'm increasingly certain season 5 will end with the Stannis-Bolton battle. I think that aspect of Book 6 gets spoiled first. I think D&D know that post-Season 4, they can't have a season where the only exciting thing that happens is Dany flying away on a dragon.

Also, bringing it back to the series regular count, it seems the HBO budget at this point doesn't allow for more than 28-29 main cast members. They're losing several this year, but based on who they've promoted they'll be back to almost full capacity next year. If they do indeed start casting more Greyjoys and Martells and Griffs, many of those actors will expect to be in the opening credits at some point.

Put in simpler terms, I absolutely expect some series regular characters who die in Book 6 to die at the end of Season 5.

If only one of the two big battles makes it into season 5, I think that will be the Battle of Fire rather than the Battle of Ice, especially with how much of the Meereen storyline they're moving to season 4. And even GRRM has been spoiling quite a bit of it with his chapter releases.

On the other hand, there will be more than enough material for one season as far as events in the North are concerned. I think that Jon gets stabbed in the finale, so the question is whether the Battle of Ice has already happened at that point, is happening around the same time, or happens later.

In any case, I think that option 1) both battles in season 5 and option 2) just the Battle of Fire in season 5 are both more likely than option 3) just the Battle of Ice in season 5.

Those are good points, Annara. I'm just relieved to see someone agreeing the most satisfying version of Season 5 ends with at least SOME Book 6 content.

Other possibilities: since it looks increasingly likely Season 4 ends with Brienne meeting LS, it seems quite possible that Season 5 includes Brienne bringing Jaime to LS and we get resolution there, too.

I'd also guess we get more of Sansa and Littlefinger we got in Feast For Crows, which could mean seeing whatever the next stage of that scheme is.

Arya and Bran's Season 5 arcs will likely be long training montages, with lots of room for embellishment.

I don't envy David and Dan their adaptation process from this point forward, but I sure am excited to see it play out.

Archived