Who will be upgraded to main cast for S4 (Book Spoilers)

Lord of Lannisport

She's not in the main cast.

Lysa Arryn will play a much bigger role season 4... so would not say she not a unsubstantial character in the cast.

She is listed in the '......' 'cast' over at HBO (whatever that is)....

Anyway off the payroll next year.

Ian McElhinney , Gwendoline Christie and maybe Michael McElhatton and Iwan Rheon wil be upgraded i guess. I hope Pedro Pascal wil be in the main cast to. I guess Euron and Victarion Greyjoy , Kevan Lannister and Mace Tyrell wil be major characters in the future seasons.

• 4 weeks later...

Per EW, Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei) has joined Michel Huisman in earning a promotion to series regular for Season 5.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/07/game-of-thrones-series-regular/

It's interesting that we heard two reports of actors being promoted for Season 5 (which, though inevitable, isn't technically official), when we still haven't heard conformation of which actors, if any, will be joining the main cast for Season 4. That's probably because they're already under contract in some form, whereas Huisman and Emmanuel hadn't been locked down until recently.

Also interesting: the EW article mentions that Game of Thrones now has 29 series regulars. By my count, we had 23 by the end of Season 3 (24 if you include Joe Dempsie as Gendry, who hasn't officially been confirmed as having shot anything for Season 4). I can't tell if:

a. It's a mistake

b. They're counting regulars like Richard Madden, Michelle Fairley, Oona Chaplin and James Cosmo, who won't be returning full-time for Season 4, or

c. 5 or 6 actors have already been promoted to the main cast for this upcoming season, and that information simply hasn't been released to the public.

I guess we won't know who's gotten the bump until the season starts and we see their names in the opening credits.

UPDATE: I asked Winter Is Coming over at WinterIsComing.net if he could confirm if the number 29 was accurate. He contacted James Hibberd, who wrote the EW article, and Hibberd told him that the number came directly from HBO. So now we know ...

Just for reference, here's the full list of series regulars from Season 3 whose characters were still alive at the end of Season 4 (pulled from Wikipedia, that eternally infallible resource).

So assume that EW's number of 29 is correct (a fairly significant assumption, but still). Who would be the 5 who got the bump, knowing that it wouldn't be Huisman or Emmanuel because they won't be promoted until Season 5?

My (updated) guesses would be:

Gwendoline Christie as Brienne

Iwan Rheon as Ramsay Snow

Michael McElhatton as Roose Bolton

Gemma Whalen as Yara Greyjoy

Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell

Christie and Rheon seem to be the two safest bets. Pascal is the one I'm the least confident on (since we know that he will only be a one season character), but he's been so prominent in the promotional materials, and will be such a major part of the season, that maybe regular status was warranted. Other possibilities, in roughly descending order, would be:

Ian McElhinney (everyone else in Dany's storyline seems to be getting promoted for Season 5. Maybe he got the bump a year early).

Diana Rigg (big name)

Ciaran Hinds (ditto)

Finn Jones (he's been around for all 4 seasons at this point, and the Tyrells will be gaining prominence this season)

Katie Dickie (she's in the same situation as Pedro Pascal, though I would be surprised if she gets as much screentime as he will)

Thomas Brodie-Sangster and Ellie Kendrick (it would be a package deal for them - either both or neither).

Hannah Murray (I don't think this one is likely, but she will be hanging around the Wall all season, so maybe she'll rack up screentime)

Kristian Nairn (Hodor!)

Ian McElhinney (everyone else in Dany's storyline seems to be getting promoted for Season 5. Maybe he got the bump a year early).

He's got a bit more seniority on Emmanuel and Huisman, since he was also in Season 1, so I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

You know, the thing that I'm curious to see what sigils they'll show when they present Emmanuel and Huisman's names. I'm guessing that Emmanuel might just have a dragon, and Huisman will have the broken sword, but we'll see. I thought it was a nice touch that they showed two tigers with Oona Chaplin's name.

• 4 weeks later...

The Season 4 press release is now circulating. http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/03/game-of-thrones-episode-401-404-press.html

In addition to summaries of the first four episodes, the release lists all of the returning series regulars and new cast members. Excerpted below.

The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning GAME OF THRONES returns for its ten-episode fourth season SUNDAY, APRIL 6 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, followed by other episodes on subsequent Sundays at the same time. Based on the bestselling fantasy book series by George R.R. Martin, the hit series is an epic story of treachery and nobility set on the continent of Westeros, where summers and winters can last years, and only the lust for power is eternal.

Returning series regulars on GAME OF THRONES this season include: Emmy® and Golden Globe winner Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Aidan Gillen (Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish), Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Diana Rigg (Lady Olenna Tyrell), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark).

Additional returning series regulars this season include: Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Jerome Flynn (Bronn), Conleth Hill (Varys), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell), Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), Rose Leslie (Ygritte), Rory McCann (Sandor “The Hound” Clegane), Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton), Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Snow) and Carice van Houten (Melisandre).

Returning cast members include: Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm), Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Jojen Reed), Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei), Ciaran Hinds (Mance Rayder), Finn Jones (Loras Tyrell), Ellie Kendrick (Meera Reed), Kristian Nairn (Hodor) and Gemma Whelan (Yara Greyjoy).

New cast members for the fourth season include: Pedro Pascal (Oberyn Martell), Indira Varma (Ellaria Sand, Oberyn’s paramour), Roger Ashton-Griffiths (Lord Mace Tyrell), Michiel Huisman (Daario Naharis, a mercenary ally to Daenerys), Yuri Kolokolnikov (Styr, a wildlings chief) and Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (Ser Gregor Clegane, a.k.a. “The Mountain”).

As you can see, Diana Rigg, Gwendoline Christie, Kristofer Hivju, Michael McElhatton, and Iwan Rheon are the five cast members who have been promoted to the main cast for this season. This doesn't necessarily guarantee that they'll get their names in the opening credits, but I assume that they will.

I’m particularly excited that McElhatton’s going to be a regular – his portrayal of Roose Bolton is truly excellent, and the more screentime he gets, the better. The only real surprise in the group is Hivju, but I started to suspect that he might be a candidate when he got his own promotional poster. Considering how much time he'll be spending with returning series regular Rose Leslie, I guess it makes sense.

Note that Joe Dempsie, who plays Gendry, is not listed among the returning series regulars. That means that only 28 of the 29 series regulars are accounted for. The most likely explanation is that the last person is one of the new cast members for this season (so they wouldn't be listed among the returning series regulars). Given the heavy focus and the screentime that the Red Viper will receive this season, that cast member is almost certainly Pedro Pascal.

So I guess we have our answers.

• 1 month later...

So, once again there's a discrepancy between the press release and the show credits. While Gwendoline Christie and Iwan Rheon really are in the credits now, Michael McElhatton and Diana Rigg are still listed as guest stars, and Hannah Murray, who's not even mentioned in the press release, is also listed in the main credits.

So, how many series regulars does the show really have now?

So, once again there's a discrepancy between the press release and the show credits. While Gwendoline Christie and Iwan Rheon really are in the credits now, Michael McElhatton and Diana Rigg are still listed as guest stars, and Hannah Murray, who's not even mentioned in the press release, is also listed in the main credits.

So, how many series regulars does the show really have now?

Yeah, the continued discrepancies are weird. I'm still trying to figure out where the HBO-quoted number "29 regulars" actually applies. There were 28 on the press release, of which only 26 ended up in the main credits. After 3 episodes, we have 27 in the Season 4 cast. Are there still 2 actors yet to appear? If so, they would almost have to be Joe Dempsie and Gemma Whelan.

I remain convinced that Dempsie will show up in the final 3-4 episodes in Brienne's storyline, and he'll probably be in the opening credits; it's weird HBO is being so cagey about him when we know they promoted him last year. Gendry makes 28. And if there actually is a 29th, it has to be Yara by process of elimination at this point. Everyone else who could have been promoted has appeared already, with guest star billing. Whelan probably won't be in many episodes this year, but it'll be her own storyline. Plus, she got an audio commentary on the Season 2 dvd, which usually implies a series regular contract. At this point the only actors who've done commentary and not ended up in the main titles are Diana Rigg and Gemma Whelan.

So that's my answer. If anyone else is in the main cast this year, it's Dempsie alone, or Dempsie and Whelan.

Are there still 2 actors yet to appear? If so, they would almost have to be Joe Dempsie and Gemma Whelan. [...] If anyone else is in the main cast this year, it's Dempsie alone, or Dempsie and Whelan.

It's very unlikely, but I would put forward the name Ciarán Hinds as another possibility. He'll probably be in even less episodes than Gemma Whelan though.

I think Ciarán Hinds and Gemma Whelan are good guesses but who the hell knows? The main cast announcements are strange and the choice of regulars too. Kristofer Hivju and Hannah Murray seem like strange promotions when you consider the prominence of Ian McElhinney, Michael McElhatton, Diana Rigg, Nathalie Emmanuel and Michiel Huisman who audiences will probably take more notice of too. It's the same with Season 2. James Cosmo was promoted to series regular in Season 2 and Season 3 despite only appearing in 7 episodes combined while Gwendoline Christie was in double the episodes appearing in 14 episodes in Season 2 and 3 combined.

Granted, Tormund and Gilly should take on more prominent role in future seasons but the discrepancy between what's been shown on press releases and who is appearing in the opening credits is quite odd. And Joe Demspie won't be returning this season. According to a user of this forum, they bumped into Dempsie in London and he revealed that he won't be back until Season 5, a "changed man" according to D&D.

Yeah, the continued discrepancies are weird. I'm still trying to figure out where the HBO-quoted number "29 regulars" actually applies. There were 28 on the press release, of which only 26 ended up in the main credits. After 3 episodes, we have 27 in the Season 4 cast. Are there still 2 actors yet to appear? If so, they would almost have to be Joe Dempsie and Gemma Whelan.

I remain convinced that Dempsie will show up in the final 3-4 episodes in Brienne's storyline, and he'll probably be in the opening credits; it's weird HBO is being so cagey about him when we know they promoted him last year. Gendry makes 28. And if there actually is a 29th, it has to be Yara by process of elimination at this point. Everyone else who could have been promoted has appeared already, with guest star billing. Whelan probably won't be in many episodes this year, but it'll be her own storyline. Plus, she got an audio commentary on the Season 2 dvd, which usually implies a series regular contract. At this point the only actors who've done commentary and not ended up in the main titles are Diana Rigg and Gemma Whelan.

So that's my answer. If anyone else is in the main cast this year, it's Dempsie alone, or Dempsie and Whelan.

EW said the show had 29 regulars at the start of season 4, but does that mean all of them have to appear this season? In other words, were they talking about 29 actors they have on the payroll as regulars, or 29 who will appear in this season?

And furthermore... do they still count Michelle Fairley as a regular?

Archived