(book spoilers) Stannis on Gendry

total1402

In the final episode there is a big dilemma over sacrificing Gendry. Now, its implied that this is just to get more shadow babies. Stannis interest is in killing his enemies and this is what he tells Mel. But it goes against the novel and omits a very powerful piece of foreshadowing. In the books, Melisandre tells Stannis that sacrificing Gendry will wake the dragons from stone. This is part of the AA prophecy and so Stannis is destined to do this. Gendrys blood is the key. Indeed they have Stannis talk about Aegons dragons as part of the blood magic but he doesn't say "I want dragons". Even to an unsullied, the suggestion that AA is meant to bring dragons has obvious and direct inferences. It is the single biggest hint that Dany is AA and even if not true MANY people in Essos come to believe this and its important for the show to establish the reason for this.

I don't know why the show chose to omit this element. Literally, Stannis or Mel simply cryptically saying "His blood will wake the dragons from Stone. As the prophecies say the Prince that was Promised will.". Could you imagine how that would send shivers down peoples spines as they realize this. We've already seen that their is some power in the fire magic; suggesting a more believable candidate for PTWP would be a good way to end the series. I suppose its possible that the shows OTT Myhsa scene meant that they didn't want to imply she is fire jesus yet. And yes, they will probably use white extras for Volantis in order to avoid any such connotations in Tyrions POV; although Moqorro himself will still be black.

It could be mentioned next season I suppose. Melisandre telling Davos why letting him go was a mistake and saying that it would have woken the stone dragons as the prophecies say in a whimsical fashion.

I am sure there was a talk between Stannis and Selyse where they mention waking the stone dragon which gets her all excited. She hugs him around the waist fiercely and he tells her to "get off woman" or something like that. So it may not have been Mel who said this about the prophecy. But my understanding is that is was in the context of Gendrys sacrifice that "waking the stone dragon" aspect of the prophecies came up. IMO I don't see how they could show the scenes in Volantis without some sort of foreshadowing or hint that Dany is AA in order to believe people taking that fiercely to it.

Archived