Peaky Blinders

The BlackBear

Have to say I wasn't impressed by season 1. Thought Sam Neill was atrociously bad in this with a cringeworthy poor attempt at an ulster accent and so found myself checking emails or facebook every time one of his scenes started. The accents in general were all over the place and nobody in the Shelby family spoke alike which was odd.

Is season 2 any better? Tom Hardy is the only reason i'm even considering giving it a second chance

I think it's better but if you don't like it you might quit while you're ahead. It's not that much better and any problems with the series are still present.

I didn't expect the old military toff to put up such a fight and I loved the whole "Did he tie his shoe" scene, great finale all round

It might have been the filming, music or Murphy's acting but I've never been so convinced that a character was going to die. I just became sadly resigned to Tommy dying until Holy Shit Churchills man takes out the other

Completely agree with your spoilered part. I also can't pinpoint what it was but I was completely convinced that

we were seeing the end of Tommy Shelby. Even though it's a telly programme and I knew another series was coming I was completely sold on that being the end for the fantastic Cillian Murphy.

Murphy is just a tremendous actor.

Disagree with some of the criticism that we didn't get enough of Tom Hardy. Got just the right amount as far as I can see. Saving him for particular moments made his outbursts and actions that much more intense imo. Great character, really enjoyed it.

Also on a slight tangent there really isn't enough about the British working class on telly at all. It's all middle or upper class shite. The only stuff we get about the working class is stuff which reduces them to one dimensional stereotypes of bad things. More like Peaky Blinders, please. There's a rich history to tell.

Completely agree with your spoilered part. I also can't pinpoint what it was but I was completely convinced that

we were seeing the end of Tommy Shelby. Even though it's a telly programme and I knew another series was coming I was completely sold on that being the end for the fantastic Cillian Murphy.

Murphy is just a tremendous actor.

Disagree with some of the criticism that we didn't get enough of Tom Hardy. Got just the right amount as far as I can see. Saving him for particular moments made his outbursts and actions that much more intense imo. Great character, really enjoyed it.

See,this is part of my problem with the show. I disagree with that.

To me it never seemed like the show wouldn't end with Tommy fine. It's the problem with these anti-hero vs. someone worse shows. It's almost like the writers are pulling a rubber band only to pull it back. You know that the main horrible plot will be resolved neatly. All you can hope is that something interesting happens before the end. There's a sort of...fake tension .

I think you can see this in how the Evil Inspector Dude dies. Nope, we have to wrap all this up now!

Perhaps what can be granted to the show is that they went further with the danger than other shows.

Perhaps if I hadn't watched Boss, which was about the same length and did the same thing, I might have taken it better. But something about the show is just off for me.

Perhaps it's because I don't care about a lot of the characters, especially his idiotic whiny sister. And that the really cool people are just the villains each hamming it up in their own way. I can't even say it's too short because extra length would add nothing, it's a tight show

As I said, good show and I'll catch it when it's on, for sure. Just subtly off

That's what I mean though,

For the whole programme/series I was expecting him to live but something about that scene suddenly flipped it for me and I thought "oh shit, they're actually going to kill him". Whatever it was they did, they got me with it.

That's what I mean though,

For the whole programme/series I was expecting him to live but something about that scene suddenly flipped it for me and I thought "oh shit, they're actually going to kill him". Whatever it was they did, they got me with it.

Perhaps you didn't think that they had the balls to put him where they did and give a different resolution :P?

Think it's more that

I was convinced they'd completely cornered him and he'd lost. The introduction of the Red Right Hand of the Ulster Volunteers tying up nicely with the Nick Cave theme tune (as soon as I heard it in episode 1 I assumed something like the Volunteers would play a part) made it feel a bit like an end game. It was good imo.

Archived