Peaky Blinders

The BlackBear

Tuesday night a new BBC crime drama, set in Birmingham. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01fj94w/Peaky_Blinders_Episode_1/

I thought it was good, they haven't shied away from the quite extreme haircuts and accents (although CIllian Murphys is a little watered down.) Excited to see where it's going.

Anyone else see it? As I lived near Birmingham, I was pleased to hear the accent, but it's got a lot of stigma against it.

It's set in a perhaps unusual time period, between the wars, and has a strong link with the Irish conflict.

I watched it. Was great/entertaining to hear brummie accents in the show, particularly with the background characters. I guess they toned it down for the main cast for accessibility or because it's too much of an effort for the actors. Cillian Murphy keeps slipping into Irish and I thought they could have saved some face by saying he was from Irish parents (as it seems there was an influx into Birmingham during that era).

The worst accent was Sam Neill's though. I really couldn't take his speech seriously as I was concentrating to much on how the words sounded.

Accents/acting aside the episode was "ok". Nowhere near as strong as "ripper street" and the twist of the secret agent was a bit obvious, I'll give it another episode but I feel there needs to be a bit more to an episode than what we received in the pilot though.

I can't see it, not being UK, but the Guardian gave it high praise, so I hope we get the opportunity to see it at some point in the not too distant future.

I was kind of assuming BBCAmerica might have it (like they did with Ripper Street) of course that only helps if you're in America.

The worst accent was Sam Neill's though. I really couldn't take his speech seriously as I was concentrating to much on how the words sounded.

Really? I didn't think it sounded fake at all.

• 1 month later...

i can't really comment on the accents because i'm not from the UK, but I liked the show very much. I just finished a marathon of the first season. I read somewhere there is going to be a second one, luckily
The actors are all good. Cillian Murphy was always a favourite of mine
Episodes 4 and 5 were the strongest in my opinion. What happened in the finale, well, i had seen it coming, but hoped nonetheless it would be prevented. Let's see how they will deal with it in the 2 season

It's a really interesting and often overlooked part of British history, all them racehorse gangsters, so I'm glad it's getting a bit of a showcase. Billy Kimber is a fascinating historical figure.

I was kind of assuming BBCAmerica might have it (like they did with Ripper Street) of course that only helps if you're in America.

Really? I didn't think it sounded fake at all.

Well apparently he was really on the money at first but the director told him to tone it down for fear of people not understanding what he was saying - so I'll let him off.

Did the show get any better? I never watched the rest of the series.

• 1 year later...

Peaky Blinders recently went on to Netflix. Just finished the second series here in the UK. A phenomenal series finale with note perfect performances by Cillian Murphy, Helen McCrory and indeed most of the cast. The Thomas Shelby (Murphy) Alfie Solomons (Tom Hardy) showdown at the beginning was both funny and incredibly tense. And the scene in the field at the end (can't say too much more for fear of spoilers) is up there as one of THE best scenes of that nature ever.

I didn't expect the old military toff to put up such a fight and I loved the whole "Did he tie his shoe" scene, great finale all round

. And the scene in the field at the end (can't say too much more for fear of spoilers) is up there as one of THE best scenes of that nature ever.

It might have been the filming, music or Murphy's acting but I've never been so convinced that a character was going to die. I just became sadly resigned to Tommy dying until Holy Shit Churchills man takes out the other

I saw a claim that this show was racist and imperialist because none of the IRA characters are portrayed positively. Which to me seems insane seeing as I can barely think of anyone who is portrayed positively in this series (the only ones that come to mind are the communists) - most of the characters are remorseless criminals (the Peaky Blinders don't even have the usual pretend morality given to gangsters in fiction of not hurting people who aren't involved in crime, given the way they just beat the shit out of everyone in Sabini's club and the burning down of the pub on a principle) while the agents of the crown all seem to be either corrupt or racist zealots.

And given that in the finale we finally see some of the loyalist militias who are hardly anything resembling nice people I can't really any logic behind the argument

That's the element of the first series (haven't seen the second one yet) I liked best -- the immersion in Birmingham's post WWI, poor working class, the milieu that hosts the parasites that are the criminal gangs, and the communist organizers who are attempting to help them get better conditions.

The other element I like very much is that since the Peaky Blinders are Roma as well as Irish, we get to see some very fine horse flesh. That too, could doubtless be criticized as even double racist and imperialist -- not to mention stereotypes.

But to this watcher Peaky Blinders didn't feel racialized, per se. It's more on the order of -- criminal gangs are criminals who commit crimes, these criminal gangs did exist, and that's the story that been chosen to be told. Again, that these choices for telling the story are very much also about the poverty of the average working English classes -- which we know is going to get far far far worse in the 1930's -- before it gets better with the Labor party and so on after WWII and the loss of the Empire -- is what keeps it from being racial or stereotypical. Or so it seems to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't expect the old military toff to put up such a fight and I loved the whole "Did he tie his shoe" scene, great finale all round

It might have been the filming, music or Murphy's acting but I've never been so convinced that a character was going to die. I just became sadly resigned to Tommy dying until Holy Shit Churchills man takes out the other

That was true for me also. What a great scene. I was shocked when Tommy actually survived.

One thing I really liked was how Tommy's flashbacks of the tunnel were replaced with flashbacks of his night with grace, and how they reflected that change in his character this season.

I really hope Tom Hardy is back next year, he was great as Alfie. I do think they have the atmosphere of the show spot on, the music/sets/costumes all just fit so well, i'd frankly watch it just for that.

I thought Hardy was criminally underutilized. He was fantastic though, especially whenever he was paired with Sabini, also the scene with the goat, and the final negotiation.

That was true for me also. What a great scene. I was shocked when Tommy actually survived.

One thing I really liked was how Tommy's flashbacks of the tunnel were replaced with flashbacks of his night with grace, and how they reflected that change in his character this season.

Terrific finale. I've got a lot of thoughts about it, particularly with death -- and Campbell's accusations of Shelby as a pagan -- which I'm attempting to structure into a coherent description. Haven't gotten there yet, mostly because of the upcoming holiday, with scheduling shopping for The Meal(s), social events, visitors, music, films -- and around the promised Very Bad Weather on Wednesday.

When Shelby comes out of the grave, weeping,howling and furious, is it because he's been disappointed of his death -- having it all be over, and it being OK because of Rose's for-the-sake-of-the-male-protagonist's arc, pregnancy, so his genes carry on -- or because he's infuriated by the treachery, or, for some other reason or complex of reasons?

Because it makes me think things like this, Peaky Blinders has been hands down my favorite television this year, along with the The Vikings.

When Shelby comes out of the grave, weeping,howling and furious, is it because he's been disappointed of his death -- having it all be over, and it being OK because of Rose's for-the-sake-of-the-male-protagonist's arc, pregnancy, so his genes carry on -- or because he's infuriated by the treachery, or, for some other reason or complex of reasons?

I think its a mix of that he'd cosigned himself to death only for the reveal to happen and that he'd orchestrated it all so he would be free of all the cloak and dagger government work only to come under the thumb of a bigger fish now

• 2 months later...

Have to say I wasn't impressed by season 1. Thought Sam Neill was atrociously bad in this with a cringeworthy poor attempt at an ulster accent and so found myself checking emails or facebook every time one of his scenes started. The accents in general were all over the place and nobody in the Shelby family spoke alike which was odd.

Is season 2 any better? Tom Hardy is the only reason i'm even considering giving it a second chance

Archived