A Dance With Dragons Jon's Dream p. 769

The_Quiet_Wolf

I don't think Jon's dream is prophetic. Jon's dreams are much more normal. He may dream himself AAR or the Lord of Winterfell but this dream is all about guilt. He kills Qhorin Halfhand again. He kills Ygritte again. He kills Donal Noye and Deaf Dick Follard. He kills Robb. The dream is all about his guilt about letting the Wildlings through the wall now after so many had to die when they attacked the first time. He feels personally responsible for being unable to bridge the peace earlier. He also feels like he's betraying the NW. That's why he stands alone at the top of the Wall. Finally, he feels like he's betrayed his Stark heritage. That's why he cuts Robb's head off and proclaims himself Lord of Winterfell in the dream. Two things he would never do in life. House Stark has kept the Wildlings at bay as much as the Watch has.

We haven't seen Lightbringer yet. I personally think it will be a reconstituted Ice. The first time forged in water is the original sword with the name of forged water: Ice. The second time in the heart of a Lion. Either Ice being reforged by Tywin or, if it goes this way, Oathkeeper being plunged through Jamie's heart by Brienne. Finally, Azor Ahai Reborn, whoever that is will forge it by killing their true love.

oh noes...

Oathkeeper is Lightbringer. Jaime kills Brienne, his true love, Nissa Nissa. Jaime gives Lightbringer to Jon. The only Stark male he knows is alive and that could use it for good.

Jaime is AA, Brienne is NN, Jon is tPtwP.

*dies at the thought of Brienne dying*

Edit: I so so so hope Stoneheart gives her life to bring Brienne back, oh please please.

Depending on Jon's fate at the end of ADWD, I think Longclaw could end up being Lightbringer. If Jon died, Mel might bring him back as Thoros did for Beric. In that case, all you have have to do is take Longclaw, add a little unJon blood and you got yourself a magic flaming sword (like unBeric had in his duel with the Hound). No lame glamours or wildfire tricks, just good old-fashioned magic fire.

Also, the whole story about AA and NN might have gotten reversed over the millennia. Rather than AA killing NN, maybe AA asked NN to kill him so that he could be brought back as unAA? That way, unAA could make a flaming sword with his blood.

This is a very confusing dream if you think about it, sends mixed signals as I am sure George intended.

Jon is armored in ice like the others but at the same time the ice is black of the NW.

The others are climbing the wall and Jon is sending them down to die again but the eagle (Varamyr) is also there.

Finally why would the walkers use fire as that is the only thing that kills them. Maybe it shows the wildlings have come out of the forest to defend the wall and are the ones firing the flaming arrows.

Depending on Jon's fate at the end of ADWD, I think Longclaw could end up being Lightbringer. If Jon died, Mel might bring him back as Thoros did for Beric. In that case, all you have have to do is take Longclaw, add a little unJon blood and you got yourself a magic flaming sword (like unBeric had in his duel with the Hound). No lame glamours or wildfire tricks, just good old-fashioned magic fire.

Also, the whole story about AA and NN might have gotten reversed over the millennia. Rather than AA killing NN, maybe AA asked NN to kill him so that he could be brought back as unAA? That way, unAA could make a flaming sword with his blood.

Wouldn't that be a nice twist ... totally plausible too

I think Jon is a greenseer. And this "dream" foreshadows the battle for Dawn 2.0.

Bran might be warging the eagle, wildings are fighting with him too. I don't have the whole excerpt with me but it also mentions giant dogs maybe meaning werewolf?

I think the end of the "dream" is just a basic dream, where Jon feels guilty for the people who died for /because of / despite him...

Here is the link for an older theory :

"Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black clocks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his hand."

On the Other's Wiki page we see this:

They wear reflective armour that shifts in colour with every step - rather like the stealth armour once said to have been worn by the Children of the Forest.

According to Tommy Patterson he,

“ 'Had many talks with George. He told me of the ice swords, and the reflective, camouflaging armor that picks up the images of the things around it like a clear, still pond. He spoke a lot about what they were not, but what they were was harder to put into words.' ”

The Others appear to be superior swordsmen, wielding thin crystal swords said to be so cold as to shatter any object they touch, including the steel blades favoured by the Night's Watch. [4]

The sword of the Other that Samwell Tarly slew gleamed with a faint blue glow, when the ice blue blade brushed the flames of Grenn's torch a screech as sharp as a needle stabbed Sam's ears.

When asked if he knows what substance an Other sword is made from GRRM answered,

“ “Ice. But not like regular old ice. The Others can do things with ice that we can't imagine and make substances of it.” [5] ”

Makes me wonder if Jon's armor is a gift from an Other, like Coldhands. Or maybe he finds it with Ghost's help. :dunno:

• 2 months later...

I like the idea of the fire arrows being shot from the queens men. Considering the amount of them at the wall and with what happened at the end a dance who knows who will end up in control of castle black leaving just the true men of the watch stuck in the middle of one hell of a battle by the sounds of it!

I think he's fighting followers of rhllor AND the wights - two fronts, both sides of the wall. Jon is the balance of two opposites - ice and fire.

Thats what I was thinking. I always thought that since George said well see more of the North in WoW that well learn of a Other prophecy, and Jon will be not only the AAR, but also the prophecy of the Others, so hes really Ice and Fire lol. Though for this to be true, Eddard's mother has to be someone important and have Others blood somehow(Like some theories suggest) for Jon to have the lineage...

Archived