GRRM: "Walter White vs. Westeros most evil"

AemonEightstrings

I think it's a compliment to his fellow writers on a well crafted villian, not about how far on the evil scale Walter is. The huge amount of effort and craftmanship that has gone into this character. Littlefinger and possibly Varys might come close, but we don't have POV's for them. Jaime and Tyrion are both very high quality characters that could be classified as villians.

Ramsey is kind of like the Nazis in BB. Just kinda not very well defined, but very far on the evil scale. It's just impossible to make every villian in a series as well defined as Walter White or Littlefinger.

A WW in asoiaf? My guess is Dany. WW was a sympathetic figure - powerless in any meaningful way. A victim of cancer that leaves him worried to death about his family. He makes drugs and slowly finds his power and eventually becomes unstoppable. Dany is the perfect candidate for a WW downfall as far as I can tell. Her drive to provide for her people (ie. family) and her newfound power all beg for a massive fall from grace.

Walter White >>>>>>>>>>>>> Littlefinger

Walt is a much more complex and well written character than any of GRRM's bad guys. He is a true anti-hero and multifaceted bad guy and he does not need to be tortured and lose body parts and go through a 'redemption arc' to make him an interesting and likeable character. The awesome writing does that. One minute I am cheering for him, the other I want him to die slowly. Great character.

Actually, this makes me think of Tyrion, apart from the losing of body parts. I was on board with Tyrion from the beginning, no redemption needed. It is only post-Wall, where we begin to hear more about some of the things he's done where he becomes more unlikeable. . . and I don't even think he is supposed to be a bad guy, just an incredibly complex character. I'm glad his story is far from done.

Actually, this makes me think of Tyrion, apart from the losing of body parts.

Me too. GRRM does not seem to be comparing Walter White to stock cartoon monster villains like Gregor or Ramsey. For his comments to make sense, he must be thinking in terms of PROTAGONISTS.

I was on board with Tyrion from the beginning, no redemption needed.

I imagine you were probably on board with Jon as well. But then came the twist where GRRM revealed that Jon did indeed need to turn over a new leaf and stop being such an asshole.

And who was it who talked Jon into being an asshole in the first place? Who was it who schooled him in envy, self-pity and spite? Tyrion, that's who. And Tyrion at his best was always three times the asshole that Jon ever was at his worst.

It is only post-Wall, where we begin to hear more about some of the things he's done where he becomes more unlikeable. . .

Did you not notice when he projected hate and spite at the man who gave him the coat off his back and never complained of the loss? Did you not notice when he let everyone else do all the work, while he sits on his ass and feels sorry for himself, and thinks of himself as a victim, just because he had to ride as hard as everyone else in the party?

and I don't even think he is supposed to be a bad guy

Then you probably don't think there IS a "bad guy" among the main six. That sounds to me like a waste of the multiple POV setup.

just an incredibly complex character.

There's no conflict between "complex" and "bad".

Archived