There must always be a Stark in Winterfell

LovinRC

Caitlyn says this to Robb after the man tried to kill Bran and she told him she was going to Ned in KL. Is there some reason this is so? Since the Stark's have been gone from WF it seems like the world of Westero's is upside down. Dragon's, White Walkers, fighting for the throne. Just wondered if there is some other meaning to always having a Stark in WF.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect this too. It's been said there is magic embedded in the Wall and the ancient structures of Winterfell.

I also suspect "Winter is Coming" was originally a metaphor for the Others that mutated to an aphorism about weather over eons of no engagement of the Others.

Note, Starks long held a tradition of younger sons serving in the NW.

Likewise, " there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" was originally a reference to magic that mutated to a political truism (I.e., chaos and death result from their absence from Winterfell).

Yet, surely over the eons, there have been instances when no Stark were in Winterfell, and Starks on the wall have been killed by brothers of the NW.

With the end of ADWDs, we have a situation where both are manifest, and still a time when the Others are on the move and the forces of magic seem to have surged.

What 'perfect storm' may come? The long wait for GRRM to answer this is mental water-boarding for millions.

I suspect this too. It's been said there is magic embedded in the Wall and the ancient structures of Winterfell.

I also suspect "Winter is Coming" was originally a metaphor for the Others that mutated to an aphorism about weather over eons of no engagement of the Others.

Note, Starks long held a tradition of younger sons serving in the NW.

Likewise, " there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" was originally a reference to magic that mutated to a political truism (I.e., chaos and death result from their absence from Winterfell).

Yet, surely over the eons, there have been instances when no Stark were in Winterfell, and Starks on the wall have been killed by brothers of the NW.

With the end of ADWDs, we have a situation where both are manifest, and still a time when the Others are on the move and the forces of magic seem to have surged.

What 'perfect storm' may come? The long wait for GRRM to answer this is mental water-boarding for millions.

Bingo. I suspect this is the case as well. Both Winterfell and The Wall were built by Brandon the Builder, supposedly, and the Starks and the Night's Watch have been intimately connected throughout all of recorded Westerosi history. Both the magic that's weaved in to the Wall and Winterfell are likely linked to the Stark line and with no Starks in Winterfell, the magic that suppresses the Others is weakening. Is it really a coincidence that the Others reappear at around the same time that bad things start happening to the Starks?

As for the Wall itself, Ygritte states that the Wall is build on blood -- which seems like she's talking about the many of her Wildling kin that have died trying to claim it or break it -- but the possibility that a literal blood sacrifice from the Stark's predecessors was used to give the Wall its magic isn't beyond the realm of possibility either, especially considering that the First Men used to engage in such practices. If Stark blood helped to make the Wall, then perhaps Stark blood is what's necessary to unmake it as well.

Archived