Marriages that would/could happen

Bruce Wayne

In a world where Robert and Ned are both alive as King and Hand, and Westeros not in war, what marriages you think would happen?

To me:

Sansa and Joffrey is almost certain that would happen.

Robb could be Dacey Mormont, Alys Karstark or Meera Reed. (He is no King in this world)

Jon Snow, even that he is not a Stark, I think some northern Lord of a minor house would want Ned's son, maybe Jeyne Poole.

Arya and Edric Dayne would be cool.

Bran and Shireen maybe?

Edmure and Roslin could be possible.

to the others I have no clue.

Actually, I am highly skeptical that Joffrey and Sansa's marriage would have gone through in this scenario. The more Ned got to know Joffrey the more he saw that Joff is an awful person who would make an awful husband. He's not ambitious like Tywin, he doesn't care that Joffrey is the crown prince, indeed he had already decided to break off the betrothal before Robert died, telling Sansa that it was "a terrible mistake." Sansa was smitten with Joffrey and protested, but I think her crush would have worn off eventually and she'd have seen him for what he was.

Since Robert clearly wanted to join their houses, Robb might have married Myrcella and/or Sansa might have married Tommen. Ned would have approved of either or both of these matches, since Myrcella and Tommen both have good character.

Sansa and Willas are a possibility, since the ever-ambitious Tyrells would have seen plenty of advantage in joining their house to that of the Hand and they are very good at persuasion.

A triple marriage pact of Robb/Myrcella, Sansa/Willas and Joffrey/Margaery would have sealed Winterfell, Highgarden and the crown together quite nicely. Not saying it's necessarily probable, but it's a possibility.

Edmure and Roslin would never happen, Walder Frey tells Catelyn in AGOT that he offered his girls as prospects for Edmure and Lord Hoster turned him down flat. The reason? Hoster despises Walder for showing up late to the Trident. Lord Hoster would have wanted either a daughter of one of his good bannermen (perhaps a Blackwood, Bracken, Piper or Vance) or a Lord Paramount's daughter as a bride for his heir. I seem to recall that he once offered Edmure to Arianne Martell but Prince Doran turned him down because, as we all know, Doran had secretly promised her to Viserys.

Bran and Shireen would make sense if Bran's fall never happens. if we assume Bran's fall happens, he's removed from the marriage market because he has *ahem* no sensation below the waist. She might marry Rickon. In general, because she is ugly and disfigured I expect few would want to marry her for anything but her claim to Dragonstone as Stannis' heir.

As for Arya, I expect she would have married one of her father's bannermen once Ned figured out that she simply wasn't suited for southern court life. Harrion Karstark, Smalljon Umber, Gawen Glover and Benfred Tallhart are all potential bridegrooms for her.

Archived