Was the snowstorm in ADWD a god send?

The Sleeper

The snowstorm that ground Stannis's march to a halt has lasted several weeks unbroken in its intensity, to the point that even Northmen in Winterfell are discomfited. The effects this has had to the story have been twofold. It has forced Bolton's forces stay confined in Winterfell waiting for Stannis with ever dwindling supplies, gearing up the tensions between his superficial alliances to the breaking point, forcing Bolton to send them out to face Stannis and his troops out in waves, not as a coherent force to attack Stannis, not for any strategic purposes but to avoid fighting within Winterfell itself.

On the other hand, despite the desperate situation it has brought Stannis's army, it has probably saved his life and his cause. Jon had thought to himself that Stannis had better march immediately or not at all. Indeed occupying Winterfell before Bolton would have secured him a formidabble base of operations that would have been difficult for the Boltons to dislodge him from. Much has been made about the strength of Winterfell's defenses ad indeed that double wall sounds like a bitch.

Stannis did not do that, but tried to consolidate his forces, waiting for unaffiliated Northmen to fill his ranks. These, however, would not have made a difference in his endevour to assault a formidabble castle occupied by forces superior to his own. Any attempt to storm the castle would easily be fended off, subterfuge like Theon's is impossible as Bolton has more than enough men to man the walls at all times and is not he man to allow lapses in discipline or security, they cannot lay a siege as they have fewer supplies than those within the walls and cannot build siege equipment as that would leave them vulnerable to sorties from the castle.

In short the snowstorm has stopped Stannis from finding himself in a hopeless strategic situation, What do you think of the possibility of the storm not being sent by Martin, but by someone in the story as the snowstorm seem unually strong in its intensity and long in its endurance provided that it is autumn, namely the last greenseer and his young disciple? There are indications that the greenseers had the ability to control the elements that far exceed a snowstorm (hammer of the waters, the broken arm of Dorne) and an astute and experienced (that's understatement) like Bloodraven could have easily forseen the outcome of the situation and devise a way to reverse it.

Interesting, interesting... I especially like the part about Bloodraven. This is all making the assumption that Winterfell and Roose will fall to Stannis though, right?

And the assumption that Bloodraven cares, which I think he would. I'm still not sure that Winterfell will fall to Stannis, but at least he has a chance now, right?

Bloodraven wouldn't be able to do everything, this still would be a pretty indirect way of influencing things.

You know, while I have nothing to support this claim, it wouldn't surprise me if Bloodraven actually was behind the snowstorm. There is no way a man is sitting beyond the wall with access to unlimited information and doing nothing. I mean it would be pretty anticlimatic for his character if he doesn't end up doing something significant to influence the evnts going on in the story.

By forcing Stannis to wait will force Boltons to attack, since pressure in Winterfell is growing stronger every day. If Boltons just waited, Manderlys and Freys would tear each other apart. Now Stannis can be the defender, and use terrain as his advantange.

And knowing Martin, Rickon might even be few days ride from Winterfell (with unicorns) and raise all northmen against Boltons eventually.

I always felt it was the children of the forest that bran sees in the cave (hooked up to the weirwoods) that are manipulating the weather around winterfell, and were responsible for breaking the arm (which is now the stepstones)

The greenseers were children of the forest (mostly). Not sure what's the deal with the children hooked to the trees. If they were greenseers why would Bloodraven be the last greenseer? I tend to think that they are simply old (Bran initially thought they were dead) and spent their time "merging" with the weirwoods

Archived