Where do the Great Houses rank in wealth?

CosimaistheHottest

Manderly might be above Stark

i thik he is listing only the great houses

1. Lannisters-good mines

2. Tyrells- most fertile land, large

3. Tullys- fertile land

4. Arryn - their land are very fertilr as well

5. Martell- i think they have good trade

6. Baratheon- don't know why

7.Stark- big land but too few people

8.Greyjoys- bunch of fisherman

Manderlys may have the silver mines and harbor, but the Starks are their overlords and draw taxes from all over the north, so they're probably richer than the Manderlys.

As for the above list, I'd place the Arryns and Baratheons higher. The Arryns are of a very old and noble Andal line, and the Vale is VERY fertile, moreso even than the Reach, in the midst of summer. They are probably richer than the Tullys. And the Baratheons aren't far behind, they are an old line too, and have married into the Targaryen line a few times. Not to mention that at the beginning of the story, they hold Storms End, Dragonstone, and the Red Keep.

If we're only including ggreat houses

Lannisters (dat gold)

(Optional) Targs

Tyrells, the food powerhouse

Martels, always appeared wealthy in PoV descriptions of their lives. They appear to have great trade in many luxury things. (Wine, Fruits etc.)

Arryns, no way something like the Eerie is built by a poor house.

Tullys, No evidence for wealth but the land is good so mustnt be that poor.

Baratheons, no evidence either here I just imagine it being poor.

Starks, Long winter, land only rich in timber. Care little for comforts as shown by Sansa's longing for southern castles.

Greyjoys, any nation that bases itself off of pillaging that hasn't pillaged properly in decades, if not centuries, is going to be poor as fuck.

Manderlys may have the silver mines and harbor, but the Starks are their overlords and draw taxes from all over the north, so they're probably richer than the Manderlys.

As for the above list, I'd place the Arryns and Baratheons higher. The Arryns are of a very old and noble Andal line, and the Vale is VERY fertile, moreso even than the Reach, in the midst of summer. They are probably richer than the Tullys. And the Baratheons aren't far behind, they are an old line too, and have married into the Targaryen line a few times. Not to mention that at the beginning of the story, they hold Storms End, Dragonstone, and the Red Keep.

I believe the Manderly are richer than the starks, they receive money from the hole north, yes, but the north isn't that rich and white harbor is the biggest city

perhaps the Arryn are richer than the Tullys, i don't know

Yes the Riverlands are fertile, but the Tullys haven't been around long as overlords. Not until Aegon's time did they really become that important. The Riverlands had been passed around between Northern Kings, Ironborn, and Storm Kings before that. In contrast, the Arryns have sat their seat comfortably for thousands of years, and the Vale is just as rich as the lands of the trident, if not richer.

My two cents

1. Lannister. This I dont think can be disputed, since multiple sources say they are the richest.

2. Tyrell. Again, I don't think this can really be disputed.

3. Arryn. They have the most fertile land outside the Reach but also a large port city that is not too far from Braavos.

4. Tully. Fertile land and several port towns of decent size. Their wealth might be spent on repairs after constant warfare though.

5. Stark. While the North is cold, it is also very fertile in places, with a lot of space for farming. Also, their is silver, furs and timber to be had.

6. Martell. Dorne might trade, and have wine, but they are still a desert, with little to offer.

7. Baratheon. They don't have much to offer. If we are counting all three branches, they shoot up quite a bit. but from just the Stormlands, I think this is appropriate.

8. Greyjoy. Self explanatory.

I think Baratheons should be higher up. They could have easily been trading with the Free Cities.

It's actually harder for them to trade with the free cities because of Shipbreakers Bay as ships that come from the narrow sea are said to avoid the bay. On top of that you have a small land or harsh mountains and stony shore meaning that they don't actually have a lot to trade with.

Lannister

Tyrell

Targ/Baratheon(Crownlands)

Tully

Arryn

Martell

Stark

Baratheon

Greyjoy

Pre Aegons conquest the StormLords would be a lot higher up but they seem to have lost the most land and better ports thanks to the Targs.

My two cents

1. Lannister. This I dont think can be disputed, since multiple sources say they are the richest.

2. Tyrell. Again, I don't think this can really be disputed.

3. Arryn. They have the most fertile land outside the Reach but also a large port city that is not too far from Braavos.

4. Tully. Fertile land and several port towns of decent size. Their wealth might be spent on repairs after constant warfare though.

5. Stark. While the North is cold, it is also very fertile in places, with a lot of space for farming. Also, their is silver, furs and timber to be had.

6. Martell. Dorne might trade, and have wine, but they are still a desert, with little to offer.

7. Baratheon. They don't have much to offer. If we are counting all three branches, they shoot up quite a bit. but from just the Stormlands, I think this is appropriate.

8. Greyjoy. Self explanatory.

I agree

Lannister (Goldmines and Lannisport)

Tyrell (Most fertile lands and Oldtown)

Arryn (Fertile lands and Gulltown)

Tully (Fertile lands and minor ports)

Stark (Loads of timber, furs and fertile lands in the summer and White Harbour)

Baratheon (Lands aren't that fertile and the storms discourage trade)

Martell (Dorne is pretty much all a desert)

Greyjoy (Speaks for itself)

Martell (Dorne is pretty much all a desert)

I think people are too focused on the desert part of Dorne. It actually trades a lot of items that are exclusive to its land. Citrus fruits and spices were very much in demand in the middle ages.

When we see the descriptions of Sunspear compared to that of Winterfell(with its broken tower) one looks far more opulent than the other or compare Ned going to Kings Landing with the honor guard that went with the viper.

I'd say Dorne and the North are about equal, with Dorne having a slight advantage with its economy not being shut down every winter.

I think people are too focused on the desert part of Dorne. It actually trades a lot of items that are exclusive to its land. Citrus fruits and spices were very much in demand in the middle ages.

When we see the descriptions of Sunspear compared to that of Winterfell(with its broken tower) one looks far more opulent than the other or compare Ned going to Kings Landing with the honor guard that went with the viper.

I'd say Dorne and the North are about equal, with Dorne having a slight advantage with its economy not being shut down every winter.

Dorne's population is concentrated into relatively few locations - centered around water sources, and even so, they don't even have a single city.

The North's population is not only much larger than Dorne's, but it is also dispersed over a far larger area. And despite this, the North's second largest settlement (Barrowton), is pretty much on a par in terms of size with Dorne's largest town.

And White Harbor is far larger than anything Dorne has to offer.

Furthermore, the North's far larger population means that it will have more people to tax and a lot more food being produced on its far more extensive arable land.

Dorne will be significantly lower than the North in terms of wealth. It is less than a quarter the size of the North, and of that quarter, maybe 10% is arable land, the rest is desert. So even if only 20% of the North is arable land, that will still translate into about 8 times as much arable land as Dorne.

Archived