What if Robert died of his injuries after Killing Rhaegar ?

Jose Stark

No disagreement here. If the Y sperm is speedier (because its smaller) than the X sperm...it's a boy. :D Males are XY, females are XX.

But there are other factors: diet, stress, environment.

And didn't Selyse have a few miscarriages that were male? Or am I 'misremembering'?

You have also to take in account wind resistance and position of the sun. You make it sound easier than it is ;)

How the hell did I forget Aegon was in line ahead of Viserys??? :bang:

Ok, I agree I overestimated Robert's significance.

But I still think Stannis would have bowed out of the rebellion. He follows laws to the letter, and was conflicted to join the Rebellion in the first place.

Still, who knows?

And only Stannis could have taken over the role, Renly was just a kid.

Also, Tywin wouldn't have sacked the city just out of hatred for Aerys.

He sacked KL to prove to Robert he was on his side.

He was opportunistic.

He might have stopped and considered helping Aerys had he learned Robert died.

Stannis wouldn't have bowed out to the rebellion. The straw that broke the camel's back was Aerys demanding Ned and Robert's heads. What do you think he'd do to some rebel forces and the brother(s) of Robert? It would have lead to a dead SE garrison and another pyro-rape for Rhaella. As to the Stormlords with Ned and Jon, you think they are going to leave? The war was more or less over. If they go home, Mace Tyrell and Randyll Tarly get to blood their army before they try to finish off the North/Riverlands/Vale. They'd stay if only for self-preservation. If the rebels lose, they are truly screwed.

After the death of Rhaegar the Targs were doomed anyway. Aerys had completely lost sense of reality. The military situation of the loyalists was doomed after the Trident, and Tywin understood this and would have still joined the rebels. The rebels would have eventually agreed on a new King.

Honestly, maybe it would have been Jon Arryn

I don't think Tywin would have had enough support at the time being that he stayed out of the war until the KL sack. Stannis had been at Storm's End and not a leader of the rebellion. I also don't think the realm would support anymore Targs after Aerys, especially a child right after a major war. The throne would have went to one of the remaining rebellion leaders, Jon or Ned. It is also a possibility that the realm would have split and went back to its original state of seven kingdoms.

Stannis wouldn't have bowed out to the rebellion. The straw that broke the camel's back was Aerys demanding Ned and Robert's heads. What do you think he'd do to some rebel forces and the brother(s) of Robert? It would have lead to a dead SE garrison and another pyro-rape for Rhaella. As to the Stormlords with Ned and Jon, you think they are going to leave? The war was more or less over. If they go home, Mace Tyrell and Randyll Tarly get to blood their army before they try to finish off the North/Riverlands/Vale. They'd stay if only for self-preservation. If the rebels lose, they are truly screwed.

Makes sense. In retrospect, I realize that they'd have to go all the way and not give up.

No disagreement here. If the Y sperm is speedier (because its smaller) than the X sperm...it's a boy. :D Males are XY, females are XX.

But there are other factors: diet, stress, environment.

And didn't Selyse have a few miscarriages that were male? Or am I 'misremembering'?

Sorry, yes , its probably not as cut and dry as I pretended my post. The miscarriages were part of the show canon, I think. The reason why they only have one child seems to be due to the fact that Stanis is ... well ... Stanis.

I originally thought that there might be some genetic factor to it, and that he was disposed to having female children. There are many men who have tried to have sons over and over, because of the value they gave them and only had daughters, and I wondered if that was because they were geneticly disposed towards that, but I'm quite ignorant of genetics.

Sorry, yes , its probably not as cut and dry as I pretended my post. The miscarriages were part of the show canon, I think. The reason why they only have one child seems to be due to the fact that Stanis is ... well ... Stanis.

I originally thought that there might be some genetic factor to it, and that he was disposed to having female children. There are many men who have tried to have sons over and over, because of the value they gave them and only had daughters, and I wondered if that was because they were geneticly disposed towards that, but I'm quite ignorant of genetics.

As well, if only to add to the mystery of having children, I've known several couples over the last 3 decades that tried for years to have children, decide in the end to adopt or foster...and a year or so later, whammo! They find out that they are preggers. :dunno:

• 1 year later...

Aegon would be a puppet king in the hands of Tywin who would kill Aerys, and then pardon all the rebels and marry Aegon with Margaery, Viserys with Cersei and Dany with Robb

I actually think they would've made Viserys King. He was 8 years old, still young enough to be manipulated and old enough to soon come of age. Long regencies tend to not be stable. Also Cercei would be married to the King, which we know to be Tywins wet dream. Apart from that I mostly agree. But don't forget Rhaenys. She could be promised to Renly or Willas.

If Robert died, Eddard would have insisted that the throne went to Stannis. Therefore, when he relieves the siege of Storm's End he would do so with a crown to give to the new king.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about Elia and her children. If Tywin murders them, there will be no way Eddard or anyone else can punish him.

Stannis would still want to capture Daenarys and Visearys alive, and they would still probably escape.

One big difference would be that Stannis would clean up the court of Kings Landing. He would have Visearys and Pycelle executed, and would likely send Jamie to The Wall. Unfortunately, I doubt Semly would receive a pardon.

If Robert died, Eddard would have insisted that the throne went to Stannis. Therefore, when he relieves the siege of Storm's End he would do so with a crown to give to the new king.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about Elia and her children. If Tywin murders them, there will be no way Eddard or anyone else can punish him.

Stannis would still want to capture Daenarys and Visearys alive, and they would still probably escape.

One big difference would be that Stannis would clean up the court of Kings Landing. He would have Visearys and Pycelle executed, and would likely send Jamie to The Wall. Unfortunately, I doubt Semly would receive a pardon.

There is no way this would happen, the Tyrells would never surrender to Stannis and they would never abandon the siege because then they would know that the crowned king was in their power, more Tywin would never kill Aegon and Rhaenys with Stannis as king because Stannis would want his head, if the rebels crown Stannis there is no way they win the war, they would be destroyed by the combined power of the Westerlands, Reach and Dorne

There is no way this would happen, the Tyrells would never surrender to Stannis and they would never abandon the siege because then they would know that the crowned king was in their power, more Tywin would never kill Aegon and Rhaenys with Stannis as king because Stannis would want his head, if the rebels crown Stannis there is no way they win the war, they would be destroyed by the combined power of the Westerlands, Reach and Dorne

Dorne was done there force defeated why would tywin fight those three kingdoms why fight for an infant and the reach mace tyrell is a coward if he saw the reel army he would surrender and who is he fighting for Aerys. Stannis at this time is a 16 year old kid no one really knows him so why would Tywin be so deadset against him

Eddard still commands the combined forces of The North, The Vale, and The Riverlands. And with the rightful king killed heroically in battle, Robert Baratheon will become a symbol to rally behind.

If Tywin stays loyal to the crown, there is no way he will help Aerys out. The only way he'll get involved is if he sides with the rebels. After all, he wants to marry his daughter to a king and Stannis is unmarried. Though if Stannis is king, Tywin will probably make Elia's death look like either an accident or a loyalist atrocity ("we found Aerys's hand Rossart standing over the dead family, so Gregor nobly killed the child murderer"). The latter, if convincing, would cause Dorne to stop supporting the Targaryens.

In any case, Kings Landing will fall and Eddard's armies will march to Storm's End. This will leave Randyll with the option of either abandoning the siege and fleeing or being caught between a rock (or in this case an army of pissed off Northmen) and a hard place.

Dorne was done there force defeated why would tywin fight those three kingdoms why fight for an infant and the reach mace tyrell is a coward if he saw the reel army he would surrender and who is he fighting for Aerys. Stannis at this time is a 16 year old kid no one really knows him so why would Tywin be so deadset against him

You probably didn't read the books, the Dornish weren't finished they only send 10000 men to the trident wich leaves 15000 left minimum, probably more..Mace alone had a biggest army than the army the rebels had at the trident, he only surrendered when he was granted a pardon, a thing that Stannis wouldn't do...

He only had 16 but it was already known that he never smiled and that he was the contrary of Robert, he would never attract man to his cause like his brother, Tywin wouldn´t do what he did because he knew that with Stannis instead of having is daughter married to the king he and Jaime would lose their head, he has much more to win by crowning young Aegon being the regent for at least 14 years

You probably didn't read the books, the Dornish weren't finished they only send 10000 men to the trident wich leaves 15000 left minimum, probably more..Mace alone had a biggest army than the army the rebels had at the trident, he only surrendered when he was granted a pardon, a thing that Stannis wouldn't do...

He only had 16 but it was already known that he never smiled and that he was the contrary of Robert, he would never attract man to his cause like his brother, Tywin wouldn´t do what he did because he knew that with Stannis instead of having is daughter married to the king he and Jaime would lose their head, he has much more to win by crowning young Aegon being the regent for at least 14 years

I did read the books and Dorne sent all the men they were willing to send why with rhaegar dead would they send more. Why would MAce fight for Aerys, why would Jaime kill Aerys without Tywin sacking the city. The rebel Army probably would have gone striaght to Storm's end to rescue Stannis then mace would have to decide support Aerys or not which is an obvious answer. The targeryans ended with rhaegar no one wants an infant on the throne or a madmen. And again no one knows Stannis at 16 no one he spent his whole life in the stormlands all thye know is that he has held off the isege for over a year.

I did read the books and Dorne sent all the men they were willing to send why with rhaegar dead would they send more. Why would MAce fight for Aerys, why would Jaime kill Aerys without Tywin sacking the city. The rebel Army probably would have gone striaght to Storm's end to rescue Stannis then mace would have to decide support Aerys or not which is an obvious answer. The targeryans ended with rhaegar no one wants an infant on the throne or a madmen. And again no one knows Stannis at 16 no one he spent his whole life in the stormlands all thye know is that he has held off the isege for over a year.

Because it would be for the defense of Aegon and Elia, Oberyn after the wa was over mobilised Dorne to fight for Viserys, what do you think he and Doran would do with Elia and Aegon alive.

If you say that no one wants a child as king you don't know nothing about middle age, Aegon would be a puppet king for Tywin, he could do anything he wanted and nobody would say a thing.Tywin would get ridd of Aerys and then rule in name of Aegon or Viserys, The Reachmen would never accept Stannis as king

Because it would be for the defense of Aegon and Elia, Oberyn after the wa was over mobilised Dorne to fight for Viserys, what do you think he and Doran would do with Elia and Aegon alive.

If you say that no one wants a child as king you don't know nothing about middle age, Aegon would be a puppet king for Tywin, he could do anything he wanted and nobody would say a thing.Tywin would get ridd of Aerys and then rule in name of Aegon or Viserys, The Reachmen would never accept Stannis as king

Okay more claims about me not knowing something do you know how to debate or just throw insults around 1) how would anyone know robert is dead it is the middle ages only the rebels know so Tywin would still sack kingslanding and kill Aegon. 2) Child kings were hated even in the middle ages there is that old proverb woe unto you if your king is a child, Arthur of Brittany was overlooked in succesion purely because of his age even in Asoiaf Maegor was overlooked because of his age. THe reachmen accepted Robert as king after they beat his army and besieged his home so why not Stannis and again as I repeat he was an unkown factor. 3) Oberyn has no real power and that response was due to Aegun and Elia dying, if they were so concerend about the trageryans why didn't they send more men to the trident where they could have made a diffrence. The Targeryans died with Rheager, Tywin even after learning Robert died would just marry Cersei to Stannis, MAce Tyrell was always hedging his bets so he wouldn't risk his enitre army to fight for either a madmen or an infant

Archived