I like the Heresy threads but......

Robbs Graves

There's some awesome stuff in the Heresy threads, a lot of intelligent people discuss some fantastic theories. Here comes the but! I think the threads are too generic and have rendered the search function defunct. All the information in them (most of it extremely interesting) is lost in a massive pile of posts. The thread is a bit too generic in its nature and it has limited the spread of information over the ADWD board.

I would love it if all the complex minds escaped the Heresy threads and created more specific threads on the main board. I'm sure it would create many more open discussions involving more new posters and make the great information easily searchable.

I hope this thread doesn't cause you guys and casternation. It's just meant to be a polite prod.

There's some awesome stuff in the Heresy threads, a lot of intelligent people discuss some fantastic theories. Here comes the but! I think the threads are too generic and have rendered the search function defunct. All the information in them (most of it extremely interesting) is lost in a massive pile of posts. The thread is a bit too generic in its nature and it has limited the spread of information over the ADWD board.

I would love it if all the complex minds escaped the Heresy threads and created more specific threads on the main board. I'm sure it would create many more open discussions involving more new posters and make the great information easily searchable.

I hope this thread doesn't cause you guys and casternation. It's just meant to be a polite prod.

It is definitely something I would run by BC.I don't know if this helps but we started a guide that is linked at the end of every OP post by BC.This guide makes Heresy easy for noobs to read as there is a synopsis for every Heresy.

We suggest that everyone who wish to check us out start at The Centennial Project listed on the guide ending with the essays so they would get a feel for where the minds of heretics are.

Our fearless leader is on vacation but you can IM the hand with your suggestion and he too can pass it on to BC.

Again do check out "The Heretics Guide to Heresy" which makes the search easier. Happy Heresy.

I respectfully disagree. The tangential nature of heresy is its biggest asset. Many of the theories have come out of the seeming chaos of those threads. The fact that many of the strongest positions opposed to those theories are regulars on the thread make it unique amongst the more generic threads on these boards.

Having said this, I can see where you are coming from. It is easy to get lost in there when 3 or more topics are being discussed on the same thread.

The centennial project is a stunning success IMO and is as good a place as any to get the gist of the theories. Also Wolfmaid 7's guide to heresy was a great help to me.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying. . . when you do a search, are the Heresy threads the only ones that come up?

I have trouble searching for anything, anywhere, no matter the subforum. It seems to pull up just about everything.

There's a lot in the threads, it's true. It's also true that if you wait long enough, the same topic will come back around. The efforts to label and organize the threads is helpful. And if there's a specific topic someone's looking for, someone in the thread often remembers where to find it, or will talk about it again, so just ask!

ETA: or we could start a Heresy subforum (only kidding)

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying. . . when you do a search, are the Heresy threads the only ones that come up?

I have trouble searching for anything, anywhere, no matter the subforum. It seems to pull up just about everything.

There's a lot in the threads, it's true. It's also true that if you wait long enough, the same topic will come back around. The efforts to label and organize the threads is helpful. And if there's a specific topic someone's looking for, someone in the thread often remembers where to find it, or will talk about it again, so just ask!

ETA: or we could start a Heresy subforum (only kidding)

This.

And just for clarification: when wolfmaid7 says BC, she means Black Crow; and when she says the Hand, she is refering to myself

I don't have any trouble with multiple topics in a single thread.Its why they invented the quote button.Just quote what response you want or state whatever point you are trying to say.

Example

Hersey threads are fine to me but the search function for the forum is awful.

P.S I support a subforum.

To a degree, this is happening already.

The Curious Case thread (which is doing rather well) exists because I wrote a Heresy post analyzing Jon's legitimacy in the context of the Kingsguard at the ToJ. King Benjen II liked it and decided to explore the whole subject in more depth in a dedicated thread.

Perhaps the success of that example will lead to other threads of a similarly focused nature.

I still think Heresy is great, though, as a place for offbeat, unexpected theories of any sort. You could consider it an incubator of innovation.

It's a tricky balance. While targeted threads certainly have their advantages, some of the greatest ideas on the Heresy threads seem to be born when tidbits from different topics get bounced up against each other and serendipitously mesh like two jigsaw pieces.

One of my favorite things about the Heresy threads, though, is that a very high percentage of the posters conduct themselves with the highest regard for each other. I see too many intriguing ideas appear on the board that are beaten down by dismissive people posting challenges that are poorly thought out, or not thought out at all, and the OP just gives up trying to respond to the low signal-to-noise ratio. The Heresy threads have become a safe haven.

One of my favorite things about the Heresy threads, though, is that a very high percentage of the posters conduct themselves with the highest regard for each other. I see too many intriguing ideas appear on the board that are beaten down by dismissive people posting challenges that are poorly thought out, or not thought out at all, and the OP just gives up trying to respond to the low signal-to-noise ratio. The Heresy threads have become a safe haven.

For somebody with only eight posts, you seem very wise.

It's a tricky balance. While targeted threads certainly have their advantages, some of the greatest ideas on the Heresy threads seem to be born when tidbits from different topics get bounced up against each other and serendipitously mesh like two jigsaw pieces.

I agree, It's easy to become disheartened early on.

For somebody with only eight posts, you seem very wise.

8 posts doesn't mean they haven't been reading & lurking for a long long while, not everyone is as confident or literary as many on here & it's easy to be criticised too quickly & go back into hiding.

8 posts doesn't mean they haven't been reading & lurking for a long long while, not everyone is as confident or literary as many on here & it's easy to be criticised too quickly & go back into hiding.

Sure. I would say somebody who prior to posting lurks -- thus coming up to speed on all these complex issues and what's been said, without having to ask a single question -- is pretty wise too.

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to you guys, I'm so busy these days. That's probably part of the cause of my disappointment. I just don't have enough time to read all the Heresy stuff.

Just to reiterate, I have been reading reading the Heresy threads since day one and I definitely agree that the positive attributes of the thread greatly outweigh the small grievances I have.

To the person that suggested a Heresy subforum. That would be a brilliant solution. I would love to see that happen.

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to you guys, I'm so busy these days. That's probably part of the cause of my disappointment. I just don't have enough time to read all the Heresy stuff.

Just to reiterate, I have been reading reading the Heresy threads since day one and I definitely agree that the positive attributes of the thread greatly outweigh the small grievances I have.

To the person that suggested a Heresy subforum. That would be a brilliant solution. I would love to see that happen.

So it has been said so it must be!!!

Archived