Why do people hate the Tyrells?

The Bittersteel

They are too greedy.

How though? Because they want the IT? Hm. Let me check on all the other houses.

I dislike them because of Mace, and how he acted during RR.

Also they let KL starve...

Oh. War crimes. That's a good point. Hm. Let me check on all the other houses.

Opportunism and over indulgence in decadence while having no qualms about letting other suffer as much a possible. But still keeping this false facade of kindness.

But wait until something comes their way and see them panic.

That's more the house in general, personally I think Willas sounds intriguing and Olenna is in a league of her own.

I don't know where you get the idea that they are somehow universally hated.

Willas and Garlan sure sound like nice lads but we've never met the former (only heard nice things about him from his relatives who were trying to pimp him out to Sansa) and we only saw Garlan for like 5 seconds and again only from Sansa's POV. If anything the Tyrells are very good at presenting themselves as the ever so chivalrous, gallant and good at heart.

Myself I am more "meh" about them. I think it's partly because we don't have their POV, because they were introduced quite late in the story, and because Reach sounds like the most boring region of the the 7K.

As Dontos said, they are Lannisters with roses. Instead of Tywin, they have the equally pragmatic but more empathetic Olenna in charge so they are much less fucked up. I like their family values and how they stick together and care not just for the legacy of the Tyrell name but for the actual happiness and longevity of their family members as well. But needles to say, they are basically opportunistic whores who bend their knee to anything but with much better PR than the Freys.

Tyrell hate surprised me as well. I loved them all (with the exception of Mace) but was kind of surprised with the reception they receive on the forums. They're ambitious, but I never caught anything that suggested they were ruthless, with the exception of the whole Tyrion and Sansa getting nailed for Joff's murder. But it was worth it imo. The world needed to be rid of the lil bastard.

I dislike them because of their treachery, they are the kind that smile at you, but, won't hesitate to backstab you the moment they see an opportunity to get something out of it, which is something that i despise.

And despite people fixation with her, Olenna is one of the characters who pisses me off the most in the entire series, can't wait till someone silence that mouth for good.

I dislike them because of their treachery, they are the kind that smile at you, but, won't hesitate to backstab you the moment they see an opportunity to get something out of it, which is something that i despise.

Yeah, at least other houses like the Lannisters are more open about that and get involved directly in the fighting.

The Siege of Storm's End is a very defining moment for the Tyrells.

Personally speaking, it isnt a matter of "HATE" for me. I just feel their scheming and opportunism will be their overall undoing.

Looking at the families prior to the series you can see where the 8 major families had their alliances...

Stark/Tully/Aaryn- Were allies all along until the death of Jon Arryn and Liza staying out of the "war" which we find out is because she started it.

Lannister and Barotheon- We see now why they split apart but were great allies during the reign of Robert.

Martells and Targaryen- Dont know if "ally" is the right word, but they stayed true and pretty much stayed out of the kingdom's affairs during Robert's reign.

Tyrells and ??? They never had anyone. They just reek of a family that is desperate to be included like everyone else.

And to those who claim they are winning, i would say that is a false confidence on their part. They are mucking things up perfectly and perfectly putting themselves in position to get wiped out. I am just not seeing where they are getting any love from ANYONE in Westeros, much less the reader.

But wait until something comes their way and see them panic.

So what you're saying is none of the other houses would panic if 1000 ships headed for their seats?

And despite people fixation with her, Olenna is one of the characters who pisses me off the most in the entire series, can't wait till someone silence that mouth for good.

I'm totally with you on that one. A female Tywin indeed.

I think people have a general dislike for major players not introduced in the first book in depth. The Tyrells are sort of the third wheel in the Stark-Lannister dynamic, especially because as it turns out the Tyrells are more powerful than Lannisters these days.

Yeah, at least other houses like the Lannisters are more open about that and get involved directly in the fighting.

The Siege of Storm's End is a very defining moment for the Tyrells.

Drinking and feasting with Stormlords a couple of weeks earlier only to rout them later is what really pissed me off.

"Winter is Coming" > "Growing Strong" > "Unbound, Unbent, Unbroken" > "Family, Duty, Honour" > "As High as Honour" > "Ours is the Fury" > "Fire and Blood" > "We Do Not Sow" > "Hear me Roar!"

We Do Not Sow has to be the worst. I always read it as "We have no marketable skills."

So what you're saying is none of the other houses would panic if 1000 ships headed for their seats?

Well yes, but the Tyrells expect that everyone should let them do what they want or even help them while they never give anything in return.

There's a reason they got bit in the ass by the Ironborn. They were so passive all those years and now that they actually tried do actively have more power they took a bigger bite than they could chew.

In short: They are takers and are suddenly surprised that no one wants to give them anything in return anymore.

In short: They are takers and are suddenly surprised that no one wants to give them anything in return anymore.

Yes, Cersei refusing to send help was totally reasonable, because... well, they're greedy and we don't like them. :bang:

Also: Not giving anything in return? Are you serious? Do I have to sick show!Olenna on your ass?

Yes, Cersei refusing to send help was totally reasonably, because... well, they're greedy and we don't like them. :bang:

Also: Not giving anything in return? Are you serious? Do I have to sick show!Olenna on your ass?

Well Cersei is a nutjob, but if you are already known to switch sides more often than other people their underwear don't be surprised if your allies want to keep you as close as possible, so you are not suddenly "unavailable" to do some dirty work.

The Tyrells were perfectly fine with other people fighting their wars but still reap the benefits. Well, it goes both ways.

You can't possibly say that the Tyrells would have sent help in Cersei's place.

Archived