Why do people hate the Tyrells?

The Bittersteel

They're mostly just ''there'' in the books. No POVs really hurts, but their actions boil down to 1) make Renly able to win, then 2) make the Lannisters able to win, then 3) kill Joffrey. Since then, they're just chilling in King's Landing, putting up with Cercei's antics and being attacked by Euron. Loras gets the most lines out of them and he speaks what, 10 times in the entire series? That's not going to win them many fans.

Personally, I like them, but it's probably a good deal thanks to their show portrayal, where they have much more focus. They are, however, a bunch of stone cold bastards in the books. Olenna at least.

Personally, I like them, but it's probably a good deal thanks to their show portrayal, where they have much more focus. They are, however, a bunch of stone cold bastards in the books. Olenna at least.

Agreed, Margaery in particular is far more fleshed out.

I think those people who feel that way have noticed that they are only a sweeter version of the Lannisters. They follow power as opposed to what is right. They know, just like the Lannisters, that Cersei's children are not Roberts.

The Queen of Thorns and Tywin are just two sides of the same coin, except I dare say, she is more pragmatic.

Tywin arranged for the Red Wedding and TQoT arranged for the Purple Wedding. Everyone knows that Tywin was behind the Red Wedding and yet no one knows TQoT was behind the Purple one...

I think those people who feel that way have noticed that they are only a sweeter version of the Lannisters. They follow power as opposed to what is right. They know, just like the Lannisters, that Cersei's children are not Roberts.

The Queen of Thorns and Tywin are just two sides of the same coin, except I dare say, she is more pragmatic.

Tywin arranged for the Red Wedding and TQoT arranged for the Purple Wedding. Everyone knows that Tywin was behind the Red Wedding and yet no one knows TQoT was behind the Purple one...

Here's the thing, Jamie and Tyrion were in captivity, both fought battles and even got maimed. Cersei was in active danger from Stannis and Tywin and his relatives actively fought the war.

The Tyrells don't take those risks, but still get as far as the Lannisters, namely be in an alliance and basically rule together. And now after decades of caution they got caught up in shit too (mainly because of Euron) and they don't even know how to really handle it.

Loras being burned is the first time they actually took a hit.

Tyrells are undoubtedly one, if not the, most dangerous families out there. regardless of vast fertile lands and great wealth, Tyrells are a perfect mix of Stark family unity and Lannister ambition. Make no mistake, they are truly united force that seems to be difficult to get rid off.

As for hate, I don't see much of it. What I do see is a lot of misconceptions. From the idea that Tyrells are caring people who are feeding the smallfolk of KL to avenging Starks in PW (this was heavily argued on TV threads) to the chivalrous code of honor. Alas the truth is much different. Mace Tyrell starved the very same people his daughter has been so adamantly feeding. It is incredible level of hypocrisy, but they have brilliant PR machinery. Olenna's actions in PW can't be justified. I am sorry, and as much as I hate Joffrey and think that he deserved everything he got, truth is if you didn't want your granddaughter to be married for a monster, don't make those arrangements. And shall we start how they framed Tyrion and Sansa? How they usurped Florents' lands and named Garlan lord of Brighwater keep? They are opportunists and frankly, I understand why some people dislike them.

It's surely because they're good-looking, rich and great players in the game of thrones. I don't have any other explanation.

Yeah, but what irks me personally is when there is only the slightest indication of them losing then they're the kids who just take away their toys and go home.

Here's the thing, Jamie and Tyrion were in captivity, both fought battles and even got maimed. Cersei was in active danger from Stannis and Tywin and his relatives actively fought the war.

The Tyrells don't take those risks, but still get as far as the Lannisters, namely be in an alliance and basically rule together. And now after decades of caution they got caught up in shit too (mainly because of Euron) and they don't even know how to really handle it.

Loras being burned is the first time they actually took a hit.

Putting my tin foil hat on for this next comment. I do not think Loras is burned really, at least not to the extent that has been reported.

But everything you said is 100% correct, They are dangerous as dangerous gets, as long as TQoT is around.

Because after years of reading of their favorites fucking up(the Starks) readers get angry that the Tyrells, who seem to do nothing to earn hate, as assholes who. I don't, smell nice? Seriously, what they down exactly that was bad?

Putting my tin foil hat on for this next comment. I do not think Loras is burned really, at least not to the extent that has been reported.

But everything you said is 100% correct, They are dangerous as dangerous gets, as long as TQoT is around.

Yeah, it's entirely possible. I mean we rarely hear from Loras after he took Dragonstone.

I have my own crackpot theory that Olenna (since she's is a Redwyne) somehow played her influence with the Reach fleet to let Davos through during the Siege of Storm's End. That way everyone was happy and let her son sit out the war withouth really getting involved. I wouldn't be surprised that she suggested the siege since she was sure that both Storm's End and Stannis would garantee that it dragged out a long time, preferably until either side of the war won. They officially sided with the royalist that way but never actively hurt the rebels either, which puts them in a favorable position.

Yeah, it's entirely possible. I mean we rarely hear from Loras after he took Dragonstone.

I have my own crackpot theory that Olenna (since she's is a Redwyne) somehow played her influence with the Reach fleet to let Davos through during the Siege of Storm's End. That way everyone was happy and let her son sit out the war withouth really getting involved. I wouldn't be surprised that she suggested the siege since she was sure that both Storm's End and Stannis would garantee that it dragged out a long time, preferably until either side of the war won. They officially sided with the royalist that way but never actively hurt the rebels either, which puts them in a favorable position.

That is truly an amazing theory.... I totally can see TQoT playing both sides especially after being denied Sansa and especially to protect her own.... I LIKE IT!!! :bowdown:

I enjoy the Tyrells as characters. I don't want them to come out on top, but I don't want them completely obliterated like I do some other houses/characters (Freys, Boltons, Littlefinger, etc).

They're actually pretty middle-of-the-road, which probably was the point.

Having just watched Season 4, they're cowardly pieces of shit who don't even have the decency to own up for their crimes.

Maybe Olenna had her reasons to kill Joffrey. But it was the fact that she wasn't even willing to admit responsibility for her crime, and was willing to let Tyrion take the blame, that made her really contemptible in my eyes. She did it for her personal, selfish reasons - she definitely doesn't deserve to be lauded as some kind of heroine, the way I see people speak about her on these boards

Archived