Why do people hate the Tyrells?

The Bittersteel

"They're just a bunch of hypocrites". Yeah, you know who else is a hypocrite? Pretty much everyone else in the series! Let's see:

Tywin: "The next whore I find in your bed I'll fuck. I mean, hang. Yeah, that's what I said, hang"

Sandor: "I'll follow every command my prince gives me, even if it is to cut a boy in a thousand pieces. Just don't ask me to risk my own life fighting near fire, that's where I cross the line"

Davos: "Lord Alester, you're a traitor, shame on you. Now excuse me while I smuggle this kid behind Stannis' back, which is not treason because it is the right thing, so it doesn't count"

Asha: "Now that my dad is dead and I have a shot at getting the Seastone Chair, I'll forget all this about pillaging the North. You know, peace and all that. I was just bored over at Pyke"

Jaime: "I will keep the oath I made to Lady Catelyn. With a trebuchet"

Jon: "The Watch takes no part. Well, if we're fighting Boltons I guess we can take a little part"

Stannis: "I think the gods are a fucking joke, but you're still going to die burning for refusing to praise R'llor...or whatever its name is"

Sansa: "A lie is not a bad thing if it's done for a kindness. Like covering up the murder of Lysa, Marillion and the boys Littlefinger gave to Lyn Corbray"

Arianne: "All I want is to recover the honor of our House. And to get my birthright. I mean, the honor part. What?"

Doran: "I'll just smile and won't lift a finger against Tywin, while planning his absolute downfall behind his back"

Manderly: "Say, my friends of Frey, did you taste the pie? It's Frey-licious!

Theon: "Robb is my brah, but I'll still stab him in the damn back all the same"

Barristan: "Your Grace, I crossed half the world to find you. I've been a loyal friend of your family all this past 14 years while I was serving another king and you were basically homeless and in the care of a sociopath. But now I'm out of a job so...call me maybe?"

And on, and on, and on...

Honestly, the Tyrells are no different from all the other schemers. I don't know why there's this idea of them somehow being more false than everyone else. Is it just because their sigil is a rose? If it was a badass tiger instead, would that make them look more honest?Even Ned (!) had his little bit of deception by changing Bob's will. If you're looking for 100% honest characters, you're reading the wrong series

And "the Tyrells are only Lannisters with flowers"? Please, that stupid drunk (yet another hypocrite, how about that!) said that only to manipulate Sansa.

How many people has Margaery given to Qyburn to experiment on them? Did Garlan killed Mace while he was taking a shit, and did he had a singer killed and turned to stew? Did Willas throw a boy from a tower? Did Mace order the deaths of a woman and her children out of spite?

The Tyrells are still several orphans, rape victims, and murders away from the Lannisters. They're not even in the same league.

As for starving King's Landing, was it really worse than Robb, the GreatJon and the other fan favorites pillaging the West? Or the Lannisters setting the Riverlands on fire? Or the Ironborn reaving the Reach?

Yeah, they crowned Renly knowing Stannis had a better claim. But he had an actual claim to the Throne, unlike Robb, who was also crowned anyway.

So, yeah...Tyrells rule, losers drool, hate the game, not the players, etc, etc

100% agree. If more people played the game like the Tyrell's, Westereos wouldn't be so screwed for the WW invasion...

I like the Tyrells.

They're one of the few families in Westeros that will first use non violence to get what they want, and who use only the most limited amount of violence needed to get the job done. We've not seen or heard of any type of over the top looting or mayhem, and despite how much people hate him, Tarly is keeping the peace, his justice may be harsh, but it's not random or non existant.

All people hate Tyrell because they are opportunists, petty and they think only themselves. They can have a good aspect and they can seem nice, but this characteristics make them intolerable at the eyes of the fans.

In addition, they join together the family who are more powerful at the moment. Practically they don't take the side of anyone.

All people hate Tyrell because they are opportunists, petty and they think only themselves. They can have a good aspect and they can seem nice, but this characteristics make them intolerable at the eyes of the fans.

In addition, they join together the family who are more powerful at the moment. Practically they don't take the side of anyone.

They are far from being petty. I think there are two houses that deserves fan-hate: Greyjoy and Lannister.

Everyone works for themselves in the game of thrones, I don't think its a good reason to hate them unless you hate every single highborn character.

Oh and I don't really understand people who call them turncloaks? Like really? Renly was dead when they allied with House Lannister and it was the Lannisters who asked their alliance, its not like they begged to ally with them. And tbh they don't side with the most powerful faction, they make the most powerful faction.

I don't hate them I just don't have a reason to root for them Margaery is smart and pretty a proper queen, Loras great warrior and handsome a proper knight ,Willas is smart and kind the proper heir while Garlan is a humble warrior,also handsome the proper knight . So far Olenna and Randyll are the most interesting people from the reach. They lack the Starks honor,the Martells thirst for vengeance and the Lannisters ambition .

They are far from being petty. I think there are two houses that deserves fan-hate: Greyjoy and Lannister.

Everyone works for themselves in the game of thrones, I don't think its a good reason to hate them unless you hate every single highborn character.

Oh and I don't really understand people who call them turncloaks? Like really? Renly was dead when they allied with House Lannister and it was the Lannisters who asked their alliance, its not like they begged to ally with them. And tbh they don't side with the most powerful faction, they make the most powerful faction.

I have said why, in my opinion, Tyrell are hated by some fans. They don't make anything which you can say that it is wrong. It is normal that the family work for themselves in the game of thrones, but it isn't the reason whose they are hated. They are social climbers: And yes, they make the most powerful faction, but they are turncloaks. Full stop.

I like them, especially Margaery and Olenna who really seems to be the head of the house. But they're not the most interesting family in my opinion and it's not because they don't have POV's.

I don't get why people find Willas and Garlan interesting, they really haven't done anything relevant.

Willas was the only guy that guessed how the Iroborn attacked the shields, any other character did that witch makes him pretty intelligent and Garlan is only the guy that trains against 3 or 4 guys at the same time and is Renly's ghost...A badass

Some people just don't like rich people. Like me.

Honestly the only one I don't like is Mace. For being a fat blind dumbass.

Lora's is pretty badass, same with garlan, willas is a cripple who wanted to marry sans a, no hate there, olenna is a straight thug in old lady clothing.

Another factor might be the way they became the head house of the reach. The Tyrells were serving men, and the only reason they're in power is they opened the gates of high garden to an enemy of the gardeners (I think Aegon).

Tyrells are undoubtedly one, if not the, most dangerous families out there. regardless of vast fertile lands and great wealth, Tyrells are a perfect mix of Stark family unity and Lannister ambition. Make no mistake, they are truly united force that seems to be difficult to get rid off.

As for hate, I don't see much of it. What I do see is a lot of misconceptions. From the idea that Tyrells are caring people who are feeding the smallfolk of KL to avenging Starks in PW (this was heavily argued on TV threads) to the chivalrous code of honor. Alas the truth is much different. Mace Tyrell starved the very same people his daughter has been so adamantly feeding. It is incredible level of hypocrisy, but they have brilliant PR machinery. Olenna's actions in PW can't be justified. I am sorry, and as much as I hate Joffrey and think that he deserved everything he got, truth is if you didn't want your granddaughter to be married for a monster, don't make those arrangements. And shall we start how they framed Tyrion and Sansa? How they usurped Florents' lands and named Garlan lord of Brighwater keep? They are opportunists and frankly, I understand why some people dislike them.

To be fair the Florents went with Stannis and are trying to usurp the Tyrell's as protectors of the reach. About the starvation, while not morally good it's still way way better than the Lannister pillage of the Riverlands and their sacking of kings landing.

The Tyrell's are clever opportunists, they deserve respect by becoming powerful without fighting a single battle. As for the PW, Joffery deserved to die--> he killed thousands of people with his stupid execution of Ned and the resulting war. Not to mention his cruelty towards Sansa....

How they usurped Florents' lands and named Garlan lord of Brighwater keep? They are opportunists and frankly, I understand why some people dislike them.

Erm, what if it were a scenario where a Northern house like the Karstarks or the Boltons had 'hedged' on backing a family they were connected to - e.g. Stannis had married one of their women. Would you have the same issue. The Florents struck their banners and went over to Stannis' side - they were the first family to do so. In doing to so they are putting two fingers up at their liege lords the Tyrells. Do you think the Starks or the Tullys or the Arryns wouldn't have created a cadet branch in the same setting, if they had ready and adult age sons?

What's the alternative for Garlan as a second son? Become a landed knight or a 'house knight' a la Kevan at Casterly Rock? I don't think this is an example of them being overly grasping / ambitious. I think it's the 'least the Iron Throne can do' given the Tyrells have essentially helped turn the tide in a multi-theatre war the Lannisters had looked at points like losing...

Mace is a bit pompous and arguably out of his depth

Olenna is a dab hand at playing the game of thrones. I really like the character, so glad she was introduced

Willas - We're going on second hand info, but he sounds like a decent guy - takes character to not only forgive but strike up an affectionate correspondence with a man who crippled you, especially when they come from a house your own has longstanding emnity with.

Garlan - One of my favourite 'ancillary' characters. I really want to see more of him in WoW/ ADoS. Hopefully he'll survive the Ironborn incursion.

Lorras - Gets better on a re-read. I don't hate him, and I think a lot of the 'true knight' baggage is more down to Sansa POVs (gruelling to get through) then his personality per se. I would be intrigued whether House Royce ever come looking for vengeance when the dust has settled...

Erm, what if it were a scenario where a Northern house like the Karstarks or the Boltons had 'hedged' on backing a family they were connected to - e.g. Stannis had married one of their women. Would you have the same issue. The Florents struck their banners and went over to Stannis' side - they were the first family to do so. In doing to so they are putting two fingers up at their liege lords the Tyrells. Do you think the Starks or the Tullys or the Arryns wouldn't have created a cadet branch in the same setting, if they had ready and adult age sons?

What's the alternative for Garlan as a second son? Become a landed knight or a 'house knight' a la Kevan at Casterly Rock? I don't think this is an example of them being overly grasping / ambitious. I think it's the 'least the Iron Throne can do' given the Tyrells have essentially helped turn the tide in a multi-theatre war the Lannisters had looked at points like losing...

As we do know there were Houses from Stormlands, Vale and Riverlands who were supporting Crown in RR. I don't see that Stannis or Renly got their possessions while they are alive. What Tyrells did was actually killing two birds with one shot: they expanded their wealth and took out of equation the most powerful rival claimant for Highgarden and Paramountship of Reach.

As for Garlan, he could have done what thousands of second sons were supposed to do. I mean, it's not like Garlan is the only second son in the Kingdom. Tyrells, as I said, are a perfect mix of Lannisters and Starks. That makes them far more dangerous than either lions or wolves.

Archived