your ASOIAF books ranking

NorthRememberz

I think TWOW is going to blow everything out of the water when it comes, so much stuff is going to happen in that book it's unreal.

I too believe TWOW will be great. Possibly comparable to ASOS I think, might even be better. AFFC and ADWD spent a lot of time setting up the good stuff - now it's time for it all to go down. The very facts that the battles at Winterfell and Meereen will take place at the start is an indicator for this.

I see a lot of displeasure with Dance here. Dance and Feast were my favorite because things are so scattered and chaotic. Jaime marches across the riverlands bringing order and redeeming himself. Freys are being hung left and right by Lady Stoneheart. Arya is learning to be a FM. Brienne goes through hell searching for Sansa. Jon Snow's life hangs in the balance as the Free Folk come over. And finally: Winterfell!!!!!!!!!

It's hard to beat ASOS. But the rhythm of the books is very deliberate and I credit GRRM for being willing to go slow at times to set up the intensity of ASOS. that being said AFFC is underrated with a lot of good moments (Kingsmoot, Blackfish, Cersei's bitter aftermath) and ADWD, desire some painful stretches (Tyrion parts) has many episodes of real greatness.

Archived