Cersei's Seven Judges and their Champions

pobeb

Theory:

Cersei's declaration for a trial by combat will backfire, when the High Septon instead grants a trial of seven.

Evidence:

Cersei is captured and stands accused of terrible crimes, as Qyburn explains:

“You are to be tried before a holy court of seven, for murder, treason, and fornication.”

Qyburn continues to explain that all Cersei’s work and plans were being undone. Hearing this, Cersei feels lost and defeated, but Qyburn gives her a way out:

“I am lost, Qyburn.”

“No.” He took her hand. “Hope remains. Your Grace has the right to prove your innocence by battle. My queen, your champion stands ready. There is no man in all the Seven Kingdoms who can hope to stand against him.”

So, Cersei knows her only way out of this is by a Trial by Combat. However, she assumes it will be a one on one trial.

The High Septon does not share this view of trials:

“Perhaps the Faith should conduct the trial?”

The High Sparrow steepled his thin hands. “I have had the selfsame thought, Your Grace … A sacred court of seven judges shall sit upon this case.

And, as Cersei has established:

The new High Septon ... did everything by sevens.

So, given that he has already confirmed his intention of conducting a trial with "seven judges", and Cersei's confirmation that he does "everything by sevens", it stands to reason that when Cersei calls her trial by combat, the High Septon gives her a trial of seven instead.

But, who would serve as Cersei's judges? The High Septon explains:

Three shall be of your female sex. A maiden, a mother, and a crone.

So, it stands to reason that the High Septon is matching judges by aspects of the Seven. But what happens when the trial of seven is called? Certainly a crone would need to be championed, like Cersei. It is my belief that each judge will call a champion to defend them, and each champion will be forced into a disguise.

I'm not just going to give you seven random, ill-fitting, judges and champions - I'm going to provide a list of judges who accurately describe their respective aspect, and a champion who is absolutely tied to their respective judge.

With this understanding, here are my candidates for Cersei's Seven Judges and their champions:

-------------------------------------------------------

1) The Stranger - Septon Meribald - championed by his "Dog", Sandor Clegane

Septon Meribald will stand as The Stranger judge, but will call upon his "Dog", Sandor, to defend him as his champion:

Dog keeps me safe upon the roads, even in such trying times as these. Neither wolf nor outlaw dare molest me when Dog is at my side.”

Sandor, "the Dog", is also often associated with The Stranger.

The Stranger, as described by Jaime in the sept at Castle Darry:

The Stranger in the shadows, his half-human face concealed beneath a hooded mantle.

"concealed beneath a hooded mantle" represents Sandor disguised as the gravedigger.

Here's another parallel between the Stranger and the gravedigger:

Joffrey’s bier had been laid out beneath the Stranger, who led the newly dead to the other world.

Sansa re-imagined her song for Sandor as a kiss Cersei later says:

“... Lady Sansa too. She is not dead . . . but before I am done with her, I promise you, she will be singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss.”

In Harrenhal, Bonifer asks Jaime:

“If it is Sandor Clegane that we encounter, what would you have me do?”

Pray hard, Jaime thought, and run. “Send him to join his beloved brother…”

Another interesting exchange between Bonifer and Jaime:

“I anticipate no difficulty. The Crone will light our way, and the Warrior will give strength to our arms.”

Or else the Stranger will turn up for the whole holy lot of you.

Sandor has fought in a trial by combat against an undead champion, Beric. This foreshadows Sandor fighting in another trial by combat (Cersei's trial) against another undead champion (Robert Strong).

Sandor even named his own horse "Stranger"

2) The Warrior - Lancel Lannister - championed by his cousin, Jaime Lannister

Lancel Lannister will stand as The Warrior judge, but due to fatigue set by his fasting, he will need a champion once the trial of seven is called. His champion will be his cousin, Jaime - disguised as a mystery knight.

While in the sept at Castle Darry, Lancel admits this to Jaime:

"I never wanted it. I only wanted . . .” Lancel shuddered. “Seven save me, but I wanted to be you.”

"On the morrow I will return to King’s Landing and swear my sword to the new High Septon and the Seven. I mean to take vows and join the Warrior’s Sons.”

Later, in that same sept, Jaime describes the figure of The Warrior:

The Warrior, one hand upon his sword.

When last we leave Jaime, he's run off with Brienne, and as far as we know they are headed back to Lady Stoneheart... But then what?

Jaime shows up and is instantly executed? Well, not likely. Brienne was given a choice - the sword (Oathkeeper) or the noose. She chose the sword and was granted a chance to prove her oaths true. This will be the same with Jaime.

In his conversation with Lancel, Jaime reflects on the vow he made for Cersei:

“Even if this is true . . . you are a lion of the Rock, a lord. You have a wife, a castle, lands to defend, people to protect. If the gods are good, you will have sons of your blood to follow you. Why would you throw all that away for . . . for some vow?

Why did you?” asked Lancel softly.

For honor, Jaime might have said. For glory. That would have been a lie, though. Honor and glory had played their parts, but most of it had been for Cersei.

Jaime has made 2 vows so far, and both were for Cersei:

1) His vow to the Kingsguard was to get closer to Cersei

2) His vow to Catelyn was made to get back to Cersei

And with this, you can suspect he will make yet one third and final vow:

3) His vow to Stoneheart to get back to Cersei

Lady Stoneheart will grant Jaime her version of mercy, by sending him to the trial of seven armed with Oathkeeper, to stand in for Lancel as a mystery knight. Not only is this a win/win for Lady Stonheart, but it also gives us a chance reunion of Ice - Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail - as I'll explain with The Crone.

3) The Crone - Olenna Tyrell - championed by her grandson, Loras Tyrell

Olena Tyrell will stand as the The Crone judge, but will obviously need a champion once the trial of seven is called. Her champion will be the suspiciously missing Loras Tyrell - disguised as a mystery knight and wielding Widow’s Wail:

When departing for Dragonstone, Cersei unknowingly witnesses Tommen give Widow's Wail to Loras:

Instead she had proclaimed him the boldest knight in the Seven Kingdoms, and smiled as Tommen presented him with a jeweled sword to carry into battle.

There are even hints of Tyrell interest in WW from Margery:

As Joff drew his sword, Margaery laid a hand on his arm to restrain him. “Widow’s Wail was not meant for slicing pies.”

With Jaime wielding Oathkeeper, we can finally see GRRM’s foreshadow behind the sword’s names:

- Jaime wield’s Oathkeeper as he’s come to fulfill Stoneheart’s request

- Loras wield’s Widow’s Wail as he’s come to hear Cersei (a widow) scream in despair

With both cases, the sword is suggesting the owner's purpose.

Before I continue with the rest of the judges, I want to take a moment to highlight the parallel which is unfolding here.

Gregor is under a disguise (Robert Strong), Sandor is under a disguise (Gravedigger), and for Jaime and Loras to particpate, they would also have to assume a disguise.

So far, that's 4 mystery knights in the trial of seven. Why is this important? Well, who were the last 4 men in the Hand's Tourney? ;)

Furthermore, Bran foreshadows Sandor and Jaime against Robert Strong (a giant with no head beneath his visor):

One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armoured like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armour made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

Continuing...

4) The Smith - Tobho Mott - championed by his apprentice, Gendry

Tobho Mott, as the marque smith in King's Landing, will stand as The Smith judge, but will obviously need to be championed. And who better to stand for Tobho, than his former apprentice - Gendry.

When Brienne mistakenly calls out to Gendry, "My lord.", he replies:

“Lord?” The boy pushed back a lock of black hair that had fallen across his eyes. “I’m just a smith.”

The BwB left Gendry at the Inn to protect all the little children, and as The Smith is described in the Song of the Seven:

The Smith, he labors day and night,

to put the world of men to right.

With hammer, plow, and fire bright,

he builds for little children.

Later, Rorge, Biter, and 5 other Bloody Mummers show up at the Crossroads Inn.

Interestingly, we are given a parallel to the trial in this scene:

7 Bloody Mummers vs 3 knights

- Brienne (for all intents and purposes, a knight)

- Ser Hyle (a hedge knight)

- Gendry (knighted by Beric)

The attackers aren't just 7 men, but 7 members of the Bloody Mummers. A mummer is generally someone dressed or disguised to play a role - just as the seven champions will be disguised as mystery knights!

Speaking of which, I believe Gendry will mask himself with his infamous bull helmet.

Given that Meribald, Sandor, and Jaime are all traveling to Cersei's trial, it stands to reason that Gendry could definitely travel with them.

And with Oathkeeper, Widow's Wail, and Gendry all together in one place, the stage would be set for a reforging of Ice.

5) The Maiden - Tyene Sand - championed by her sister, Nymeria Sand

Tyene, as described by Aero Hotah:

She was sitting cross-legged on a pillow ... dressed in a clinging gown of pale blue samite with sleeves of Myrish lace that made her look as innocent as the Maid herself.

Her gown was cream and green, with long lace sleeves, so modest and so innocent that any man who looked at her might think her the most chaste of maids.

Furthermore, the Sand Snakes are skeptical of Gregor's death:

Obara Sand plucked the skull from him and held it at arm’s length. “What did the Mountain look like? How do we know that this is him? They could have dipped the head in tar. Why strip it to the bone?”

“Tar would have ruined the box,” suggested Lady Nym, as Maester Caleotte scurried off. “No one saw the Mountain die, and no one saw his head removed. That troubles me, I confess, but what could the bitch queen hope to accomplish by deceiving us? If Gregor Clegane is alive, soon or late the truth will out. The man was eight feet tall, there is not another like him in all of Westeros. If any such appears again, Cersei Lannister will be exposed as a liar before all the Seven Kingdoms. She would be an utter fool to risk that. What could she hope to gain?

What could Cersei hope to gain?

"My queen, your champion stands ready. There is no man in all the Seven Kingdoms who can hope to stand against him."

Her savior was real. Eight feet tall or maybe taller...

"This is Ser Robert Strong.”

Yes, thought Cersei Lannister. Oh, yes.

So, this 8-foot tall monster is lumbering around King's Landing, and who is on their way there?

The time is not yet come for Dorne to openly defy the Iron Throne, so we must needs return Myrcella to her mother, but I will not be accompanying her. That task will be yours, Nymeria. The Lannisters will not like it, no more than they liked it when I sent them Oberyn, but they dare not refuse. We need a voice in council, an ear at court. Be careful, though. King’s Landing is a pit of snakes.”

Lady Nym smiled. “Why, Uncle, I love snakes.”

“And what of me?” asked Tyene.

“Your mother was a septa. Oberyn once told me that she read to you in the cradle from the Seven-Pointed Star. I want you in King’s Landing too, but on the other hill. The Swords and the Stars have been re-formed, and this new High Septon is not the puppet that the others were. Try and get close to him.”

“Why not? White suits my coloring. I look so … pure.”

I think it stands to reason that Tyene will participate in the trial, and since she cannot participate in the trial of seven, will have her older sister, Nymeria Sand, stand as her champion. Of the Sand Snakes, Nym looks the most like Oberyn, and disobeying Doran to fight in a trial by combat against the mountain, definitely parallels her father.

6) The Mother - Lollys Stokeworth - championed by her husband, Lord Bronn.

Lollys mother is allegedly dead, her sister was cruelly tortured and killed by Cersei at the hands of Qyburn, and her newborn son and husband were threatened to be killed. It stands to reason that Lollys has all the motive she needs to stand against Cersei as The Mother judge. She will obviously need to be championed once the trial of seven is called, and who else would champion her other than Bronn - her husband, a deadly warrior, and previously successful champion in a trial.

I always considered there being more to Bronn rejecting Tyrion in his second trial by combat - it just never sat right with me. Sure, it makes perfect sense for Bronn to reject being Tyrion's champion, as there is a complete lack of motivation. Bronn explains to Tyrion:

Why should I risk it? I like you well enough, ugly little whoreson that you are . . . but if I fight your battle, I lose either way. Either the Mountain spills my guts, or I kill him and lose Stokeworth.

As we see here, Bronn fighting Gregor is a lose/lose situation, so the lack of motivation isn't just natural, it's logical.

However, currently, Bronn is now in jeopardy of losing Stokeworth, his son, his wife, and his life:

“We shall have to send the darling boy a gift,” the queen declared. “Won’t we, Tommen?”

“We could send him a kitten.”

“A lion cub,” said Lady Merryweather. To rip his little throat out, her smile suggested.

“I had a different sort of gift in mind,” said Cersei.

A new stepfather, most like. Jaime knew the look in his sister’s eyes.

Cersei acts on her mad assassination plot, but is foiled when Bronn not only survives, but learns who was behind it:

“Did your witless Balman bring my name into this? Tell me he did not.”

Falyse licked her lips. “He . . . he was in pain, his legs were broken. Bronn said he would show him mercy, but . . ."

And, finally, Bronn has his motivation.

Championing against Cersei will be his redemption to Tyrion:

He refused to fight to defend, his friend, Tyrion Lannister. But he will fight to defend, his son, Tyrion Stokeworth.

7) The Father - High Septon (Howland Reed) - championed by the Knight of The Laughing Tree (as himself)

The Father is an aspect continually described as judging. The High Septon is obviously the one judging Cersei, but is he a father as well?

The short answer is, yes - please see this thread for evidence.

As such, Howland will stand as his own champion, and don the guise of the Knight of the Laughing Tree - as inspired in the tale he passed to his children.

This will parallel the battle at the tower of joy, when Seven (with Howland) fought against Three Kingsguard (Robert Strong, Boros, Meryn) - while doubly paralleling the KotLT defeating 3 knights at the Tourney of Harrenhal

So, that's all I have so far. I think the 7 mummers vs 3 knights battle at the Crossroads inn is a really big foreshadow of what is to come. Hope you guys enjoyed the read.

Well, the High Sparrow choosing seven combatants is a funny idea. Much like Aerys choosing "fire" as his champion, perhaps the fix is in ?

Yet it may backfire if Ser Robert Strong can defeat all 7, despite sustaining wounds which by all accounts should be fatal. That would be very funny.

(Not sure is has to be these 7 though.)

I'm not sure Jaime would fight against Cersei though, I think he's not quite at that point in his hate for her yet.

On a re-read of all of Jaime's AFoC chapters, the most common phrase, repeated ad nauseam, is:

"She's been fucking Osmund Kettleblack ... Lancel ... Moonboy"

And this leads to the literal icing on the proverbial cake:

Come at once, she said. Help me. Save me. I need you now as I have never needed you before. I love you. I love you. I love you. Come at once.

Vyman was hovering by the door, waiting, and Jaime sensed that Peck was watching too. “Does my lord wish to answer?” the maester asked, after a long silence.

A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jaime rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck.No,” he said. “Put this in the fire.”

The poetic irony of all this, is that Jaime will eventually come to Cersei, but not with the expected pretense.

It will be the 3rd time Jaime has swore a vow in order to get to Cersei:

1) He swore his vow to the Kingsguard to get closer to Cersei

2) He swore his vow to Catelyn to get back to Cersei

3) He will swear a vow to Stoneheart to get to Cersei

On a re-read of all of Jaime's AFoC chapters, the most common phrase, repeated ad nauseam, is:

And this leads to the literal icing on the proverbial cake:

The poetic irony of all this, is that Jaime will eventually come to Cersei, but not with the expected pretense.

It will be the 3rd time Jaime has swore a vow in order to get to Cersei:

1) He swore his vow to the Kingsguard to get closer to Cersei

2) He swore his vow to Catelyn to get back to Cersei

3) He will swear a vow to Stoneheart to get to Cersei

I mean, I agree that he doesn't love her anymore, and that he even hates her to a certain extent, I'm just not entirely sure he's ready to try to condemn her yet.

So finally the Hound ("dead" and resurrected) will have his revenge at Robert Strong/Gregor Clegane (dead and resurrected, literally). :cheers:

Exactly. Adding to this poetic tie-in, it is my belief that Sandor will have to use fire to defeat Robert Strong.

This is poetic because fire is Sandor's greatest fear, and the undead are apparently weak to fire - as made plainly clear by the wights.

I like what you said you read post out of respect well said pobeb I also noticed done comments made about lack of material is driving people crazy .also well said an Mladen has a point about facts in the text proves other wise ,I even see fan fiction for the first time today .when I first came to site it's was a lot interesting . We will get it when we get it but I'd love to see Howland Reed the man will solve Jon's birth the HS identity his wife Ashara his brother in law Arthur an are there any other theories . He is not high septon ..it is known he worships the old gods I also see a trial by combat involving 7 it would be great but with war throughout kingdom it might be hard to get 7vs 7 I don't think anyone would trust anyone in kings landing so I don't know how they would work it out. Having stannis be a champion to decide cercie fate would be priceless .during my withdrawal from game of thrones I go for vikings an Uthred of Bebbensburg .

I agree with every single thing you said. Some people just can't comprehend Howland putting aside his religion to strike at the Lannisters, and turn into High Sparrow. Seriously, if people haven't understood GRRM's writing by now, which I think you have (and this might even be one of the theories GRRM thought was pretty spot on) then they really should stop reading his books. Also, Howland has never been seen before in the books, just described, so I don't know why everyone is freaking out about him being High Sparrow. Him being High Sparrow will also help when he reveals to everyone that Jon is king, yadda yadda yadda, and BOOM! King's Landing secured for Jon. It's almost like people are pissed they didn't think of it first, and are coming up with any single thing they can do disprove the theory. GRRM has already made mistakes in his novels before, so a little inconsistency in his writing shouldn't be used as grounds to disprove a well thought out theory like this. Well done sir. Sorry this is just a huge block of text, something's wrong with my post button and stuff, I can't even edit once i've posted. Oh well

I have stated before that 7 individual trials for Gregor is not out of the question, but your champions are. Its really nonsensical. Lancel, the kettleblacks, and some of the faith militant, or just Lancel and the Kettleblack that said he banged Cersei because they are her accusers.

BTW "ignoring" someone because they point out that your theory is obviously incorrect is pretty childish imo.

This is unstoppable... After two locked threads about this, we have a new "theory" that makes as much sense as Jon being Catelyn's love child with Benjen. I am sorry but the only reason why anyone would argue things that argued in OP is clear disregard for the text. Or actual ignorance of the text.

What is so nonsensical in this choice? (Well, beside obvious)

1. Jaime Lannister fighting for Faith accusing his sister for the crime that will also take his head

2. Olenna Tyrell on Faith side which basically means that Tyrells' ambition for Crown would go way under... Just remember Kevan's thoughts wrt Mace's support. Or the fact that Loras is, IDK, a Kingsguard...

3. Isn't Gendry, like Jaime and Loras too, half the continent away protecting some kids? Or is that solely in GRRM's ASOIAF?

4. Isn't the whole point of having two Sand snakes on two different hills made so they would infiltrate and bring down Lannisters from inside?

5. Lollys and Bronn, what in the name of Seven's poop do they have to do with all of this?

I won't even touch the BS of theory that Howland is High Septon (GRRM has said more than enough about that). With possible exception of Sandor whose story kinda has narrative point of being there, Jaime, Loras, Gendry, Bronn certainly doesn't. Not to mention that Olenna would be harming her own granddaughter.

All and all, utter nonsense.

And also, why not call it "Trial of Joy"? It is after all continuation of that thread.

1. 2 Targs fought on different sides in Dunk and Egg in the name of honour. Something Jaime does not lack at the moment.

2. I agree. Cersei needs some people to fight on her side too...

3. They'll probably sent out a summons and they'd have to wait for people from all over the 7K anyway because even this HS would want the publicity generated. Nice break, now back to KL.

4. Yes.

5. I can kind of see it. The HS might have heard about Cersei's attempted assassination.

Dont agree with the OPs views on Howland Reed and the HS. With over 700 characters relatively minor ones have lots of similar features. The differences are a lot more key.

"BTW "ignoring" someone because they point out that your theory is obviously incorrect is pretty childish imo." I can't even click the quote button anymore, Damn it!

How can a theory be obviously incorrect??? It's a theory, not fact, so it's up for debate, not a few persons single comment saying "nope" or "no because..." that doesn't make it incorrect, it makes it debatable.

I have stated before that 7 individual trials for Gregor is not out of the question, but your champions are. Its really nonsensical. Lancel, the kettleblacks, and some of the faith militant, or just Lancel and the Kettleblack that said he banged Cersei because they are her accusers.

BTW "ignoring" someone because they point out that your theory is obviously incorrect is pretty childish imo.

The theory is missing the forest for the trees.

Archived