How do so many posters on this site know the series with such depth?

DuncanTheTall

I'm always amazed at the level of detail that so many posters here have about the series. Just one example out of thousands -- I read this sentence recently about Ser Shadrich:

"I think [he] could be Denys Redwyne. He's the son of Ser Desmond Redwyne and Denyse Hightower."

How does someone know something like that off the top of their heads? I am not writing this to criticize in any way -- I really just can't understand how it's done. I've read the series 4 times, and I couldn't tell you the first thing about Denyse Hightower, or hundreds of other minor characters.

So, do you guys study the appendices in the backs of the books? Or do you just absorb the knowledge and somehow have the ability to recite it all? How do you do it?

Case in point, because the sentence you reference is purely a wild speculation based on exactly zero evidence. You (along with myself and vast majority of the readers) know nothing about Desmond Hightower because he's not even mentioned in the books; he only appears in the appendix. I mean, there are posters here (you'll find many of them in reread project subforum) who have extensive knowledge of the lore, mostly based on their repeated and perceptive re-reads, but even they don't know every not-mentioned character who appears in appendix only.

And, of course, be welcomed to the forum. I wish you a nice and pleasant time here :cheers:

easy. Nothing best to do + abandonement by wife/husband or bf/gf + too much time reading crackpot that involves that every noble slmall or big is a secret targ so you end up knowing most houses of Westeros.

Well, I've only read the series as a whole two times, although I've read storm seven or eight times and to this day I'm still amazed of the strange names that some guys can remember. But I guess everyone experinces something like it. I can't remember Wlader Frey's sons, but I remember the name of 28 moons of Jupiter.

I think most posters know a certain area of the mythos a lot better than all the others.

For example, I know about five Ironborn houses and probably spell them wrong, but I can recite from memory every single scrap of information ever given about Dorne and Dornish characters. And some people are really into the family trees and genealogies. Some people have insight on the warfare in the series that make me scratch my head.

You just need to find your passion, man.

Dancing naked in the moonlight around a bonfire made of the books of a hundred other fantasy authors whilst singing the Bear and the Maiden Fair did it for me.

Note that for this to work, you need to get the hundred other fantasy authors exactly right. Otherwise you look like a prat.

''They'' make theories (its not always the case) and believe them to be true and will fight to the bitter death and then some just to argue.
''They'' do always read the books a few times and puzzle a lot of things out but then take it to the next extreme due to there morals of there own life its quite wonderful just watching some people go

Note that for this to work, you need to get the hundred other fantasy authors exactly right. Otherwise you look like a prat.

Obviously. How stupid would I look dancing around a campfire built on the pages of Christopher Paolini?

But then, calling him an author strains the limitations of the word to the extreme in any case

A combination of too much time and not enough life, a lack of sleep and fully embracing the nerd side....

I count myself proudly among this group.

When you put it like that, I can't help but imagine Palpatine's seductive speech in the new light :P : By now you must know that your father can never be turned from the nerd side. So will it be with you.

When you put it like that, I can't help but imagine Palpatine's seductive speech in the new light :P : By now you must know that your father can never be turned from the nerd side. So will it be with you.

Or to paraphrase Yoda: "Fantasy leads to Nerdism, Nerdism leads to Messageboards, Messageboards leads to staying up way too late because someone is wrong about an obscure character".

Archived