Rickon Stark and the Seven

WhatsHisFace

The legitimate Starks all seem to have great affinity to one aspect of the Faith of the Seven. Could this lead to clues of Rickon's role in the future of the series?

The Father - Ned Stark (the father, duh)

The Mother - Catelyn Stark (the mother, duh again)

The Warrior - Robb Stark (prowess on the battlefield)

The Maiden - Sansa Stark (still a maiden, idealizes fairytales)

The Stranger - Arya Stark (trained assassin, in league with worshipers of the Stranger)

The Crone - Bran Stark (affinity to ravens, sees the future)

That leaves Rickon as the Smith. The Smith symbolizes creation and craftsmanship. Does this just mean he'll be key to rebuilding the Stark house, the greater North, or an even bigger wall? It may be nothing, but the resemblance to the Seven is uncanny.

This is all very true, plus the Crone is supposed to be female while Bran is not. GRRM likes to use symbolism in his book and thought this might be an example. They don't have to worship the Seven, but GRRM chose those archetypes for a reason and may project that on to the Stark family.

Equating the Stark family, and other groups, to the seven aspects of GRRM's faith and symbolism there is an idea that has been brought up before. Truth of the matter is that there really is not anything to be gleaned from these interpretation except for when a user perceives significance behind it. For instance, one list that I saw omitted Cat and had Jon as the stranger. On the other hand we can bring up the Targs and note that and note from Aerys and his descendants there were seven in total down to Rhagar's children. In my opinion though, GRRM is not trying to hint at a deep form of symbolism for his characters and the Seven when many of the POV characters that we have read about in the books are not one of seven characters. Take Cat and interpret her story from her introduction in AGOT to the ending of ASOS and we see her in three transitions of changes: the mother that tries to protect her children, the crone that attempts to guide and show wisdom, and the stranger where she has arrived at a point that she is far from who she was.

• 1 month later...

The legitimate Starks all seem to have great affinity to one aspect of the Faith of the Seven. Could this lead to clues of Rickon's role in the future of the series?

The Father - Ned Stark (the father, duh)

The Mother - Catelyn Stark (the mother, duh again)

The Warrior - Robb Stark (prowess on the battlefield)

The Maiden - Sansa Stark (still a maiden, idealizes fairytales)

The Stranger - Arya Stark (trained assassin, in league with worshipers of the Stranger)

The Crone - Bran Stark (affinity to ravens, sees the future)

That leaves Rickon as the Smith. The Smith symbolizes creation and craftsmanship. Does this just mean he'll be key to rebuilding the Stark house, the greater North, or an even bigger wall? It may be nothing, but the resemblance to the Seven is uncanny.

First, welcome! I good thought, but I have to agree that the Starks being of the Old Gods can't really be lumped in with the Fot7 and there's too much overlap in characteristics to be able to pin it down to just one aspect of the Faith.

IMO Bran will be key to rebuilding WF, like his namesake, Bran the Builder. No one had the view of WF the way he did when he climbed around. And he possess a neat ability to look into the past via the heart tree at WF and see the original construction. Sadly, I think Rickon, and by extension Shaggy Dog, is more of an embodiment of wildfire...wild and uncontrollable. And unless his protectors (Osha and hopefully Davos) can help turn him around I'm afraid he's being set up as the "bad" Stark (Night's King, maybe?)

Archived